2017 World Cruise

dusababy

Just received a letter from Silversea, via FEDEX, and signed by Norman and Fernando, indicating that they were just in Miami finalizing the special events for the 2017 WC. The letter further stated that Silversea was making a special offer for their most valued Venetian Society members and asked that we contact our TA to discover the extra value. Lastly, the letter stated it would be Fernando's first WC as the Chairman's Ambassador to the Venetian Society.

Yes, I got that letter yesterday morning. I note that it has no date on it.

I have been told that two of the segments are sold out and have been for some time.

The HD will be Norman and CD is Fernando, as mentioned already.

We were away on holiday and returned home to find the FedEx door hanger on the bulletin board in the mail room. A neighbour moved it from our apartment building's front foyer and posted it there waiting for us to return.

We weren't expecting any parcels but dh guessed it was Silversea when it was two items. The number on the paper was illegible and there was no date but a call to FedEx eventually confirmed the parcel would still be at the holding spot.

We walked over today and were required to provide both ID and sign for.....

Advertising!

Two copies of it.

Totally unimpressed.

Not many people can book a world cruise with only 4 months prep time, especially not rookie ones and I'm assuming all the experienced world cruisers would have already booked long ago.

Not that I would ever book a WC but I can't imagine taking such a rushed departure - making plans to put my life on hold for 4 months isn't easy. I'd be stressed all through the Autumn and over Christmas.

No thank you.

This sort of expensive push to get more clients makes me think they are doing poorly and are trying to con a few more people to hand over some money.

I'd do Sydney to Geraldton but those are part of two segments and, while I'm sure SS may actually be willing to split things up (as they did on our Australian segment of a WC in 2011 - at least I think it was 2011) I'm not interested enough to ask.

Edited by CanadianKate

Granada. Went this past winter and loved it and I'd be happy to go again for 3 - 4 weeks next time. But likely not this winter.

What will probably happen is Ken will go to Africa for a few weeks to the aid project we are supporting there since he really minds the cold and I'll stay home because I don't mind. This winter we are welcoming 14 refugees to the city so that will keep me busy and there is our first grandchild arriving as well.

Since moving into the city my desire to travel has dropped dramatically.

As well, I'm just not a WC person; I don't like being away from home more than 28 days. And while getting a taste of different countries was wonderful while cruising, now I just want to park myself in one place I loved during a cruise visit and fully explore it.

The recent marketing push for this one has me scratching my head, though and wondering about the sales. I sense desperation. As well, the recent 2016/17 brochure that arrived in the mail also has multiple ~$300/day options, something that used to be hard to find. The Wind's March TA looks interesting since it hits a few favourite places and a few new ones to us plus lots of sea days which makes it tempting to break our "no east-bound" rule. Except we spent the travel budget for 2017 and 2018's is spoken for as well so we'll see how hard a winter it is and how desperate we are to get away come March.