Island Princess Sanctuary shade areas

rkellercv

We will be going on the Island Princess in Nov. and would like to know with the reconfiguration of this ship, if there are any shaded areas in Sanctuary other than the cabanas which cost a lot more on top of the half day rates for use of Sanctuary.

Edited by rkellercv

If you want shade, try the Lotus Pool area. Pretty decent loungers, too. But they are not reserved for your exclusive use. We seldom see this area fill up (and if they do maybe only on a day or two of the cruise).

There is some shade on the back of the ship near the forward wall, but it is going to depend on which way the ship is moving. We've gotten pretty crispy back there even when in the shade - sun reflects off the white paint.

We will be going on the Island Princess in Nov. and would like to know with the reconfiguration of this ship, if there are any shaded areas in Sanctuary other than the cabanas which cost a lot more on top of the half day rates for use of Sanctuary.
Yes. The Island and Coral have a unique configuration of the Sanctuary in that it's aft, not far forward. There's a section under the overhang from the deck above that provides shade most of the time. Unlike other Sanctuaries, it's not a canvas cover but decking.

8421dc6a64ccb0ee090d098244e17ed7.jpg

Thanks for the photo Pam. I do think this is a photo of the Coral Princess. If one looks at the deck descriptions for the coral and island princess they in fact are different now since the ship modification adding additional cabins and relocating many of the public spaces. The current 360 degree view seems to show shade only to be in the cabanas. I do appreciate your reply. You are very kind in trying to give information to your fellow passengers. We may meet on the Nov. 16 cruise.

You're right. I haven't been on the Island since her reconfiguration but that'll change in 2 ½ weeks. If there's no shade other than cabanas, I will not book the Sanctuary. Can't get sun.

Can you please report back after your cruise? I am interested in the sanctuary but only if there is some shade.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by lmcgrail

Pam, I too would appreciate your overall thoughts on the ship, post-reconfiguration.

Have only done one Princess cruise, on the Grand, which we loved. Considering a future cruise which would be Island.

Saw Thrak's comments, which I value. I've learned via these boards to trust your inputs also.

Thanks!

We just completed a cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the only areas that offered shade on the pool decks were Cabanas which had to be rented. Otherwise, you had to sit out in full sun with little or no protection. Was wondering if this is a new trend among cruise ships, ie. that you have to now pay to stay in a shaded area.