Emirates to Petra & Jerusalem 1 May 2015

aussie travel bird

This is a question that is making me wonder? We're on this cruise yet there is very few advertised azamara excursions to Jerusalem and Bethlehem? Can anyone provide any insight? Is it due to the political climate, the chance the itinerary might change or they just haven't been updated yet? Seeing the title of the cruise includes Jerusalem I would have expected there'd be shore excuse to at least there. Any thoughts?

Hi AT Bird,

I think it imight be a bit too early to get all the cruise excursions confirmed. I did a similar cruise in 2014 (Mumbai to Athens). The port of Eilat, Israel was a last minute substitute for Safaga, Egypt (Valley of the Gods). Azamara arranged for two different excursions; Jerusalem and Masada/Dead Sea. I arranged for a private tour with GUIDE RON HARARI at Israel Wander Tours and I highly recommend him. The trip from Eilat to Jerusalem was a very long day, and I was very happy with our small van, instead of the ship tour. Not only did we see a lot more in Jerusalem, but we also got to stop for a dip in the Dead Sea, an amazing experience. Ron was in contact with the ship's tour bus drivers and knew that even though we arrived back to the ship at 8 PM, the tour buses were an hour behind us, and they would keep the Windows dining open for the late arriving tours.

In Aqaba, Jordan, I took the ships tour and I felt it was a mistake. If I had to do it over I would use a private guide. It was a long and very hot day, and getting an early start is key. Even though I was on the first bus, all the buses waited until they were all loaded and left in a caravan and arrived to the "gift shop" as a caravan etc. Two hours wasted and that make a difference between arriving at 10 AM or high noon. The best option that some passengers planned involved driving to and staying in Petra the night before and visiting the site very early before the crowds arrived. More expensive surely, but a more sane experience.

This is a question that is making me wonder? We're on this cruise yet there is very few advertised azamara excursions to Jerusalem and Bethlehem? Can anyone provide any insight? Is it due to the political climate, the chance the itinerary might change or they just haven't been updated yet? Seeing the title of the cruise includes Jerusalem I would have expected there'd be shore excuse to at least there. Any thoughts?

Send me the correct date. You've written May 2015.

Send me the correct date. You've written May 2015.

Aussie Travel Bird means the Quest Dubai/Athens cruise departing on 1 May 2016. I am also on this cruise and was wondering the same thing, though I wondered if it was too early.

Aussie Travel Bird means the Quest Dubai/Athens cruise departing on 1 May 2016. I am also on this cruise and was wondering the same thing, though I wondered if it was too early.

Ok, I'll see what I can find out for you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi Jenny,

I apologize for the delay. I'm working on it...

Bonnie, it is 7 weeks since your last communication - any update yet?

We are on the same cruise, and have the same question. Still only the two insider tours.

Fortunately there is still several months to go before we have to commit $$'s, but I would hate to cancel. We are scheduled to sail from Singapore to Athens - Aqaba and Israel are definitely the highlights.

Then there's the dry dock problem. We're not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Thanks

My husband & I have decided to congratulate ourselves on seeing Egypt, but we despair of seeing Petra or ports in Israel due to the political climate.

This seems to be a perennial worry for cruise ships. What do you think they should do to acknowledge the situation in the planning process for arranging cruise itineraries?

Cruisers hope for the best wanting to see these wonderful places, but often the ports are cancelled.....

I'm looking into this (again). I do apologize. I thought this had been fixed awhile back. I'll f/u next week with the office.

Times a passing. We all know there's a "situation" in Israel, but it's not being addressed by AZ. Yes, I get it that it might be dangerous, and credit to the cruise companies to make sure we are safe. If something happens at the last minute then take whatever action is appropriate. We can live with that.

But!! We are several months away and are on the verge of paying out serious money to take the B2B from Singapore to Athens. (Fortunately our flights and Singapore hotel are cancellable.) Petra & Israel are the main reasons we're going. No Petra/Israel, or an alternative that appeals to us, and we're wasting time and money. Celebrity have recently cancelled Israel ports, so we know it's a possibility - so what's the alternative?

It seems that Azamara don't care too much about their paying passengers....so we've established a back up plan.

TA on Royal Princess April 22. Constellation out of Venice May 19. (We booked one of the last cabins on the May 19 sailing.)

We're pretty happy with the alternative and will put Israel and Petra back on the bucket list.

Times a passing. We all know there's a "situation" in Israel, but it's not being addressed by AZ. Yes, I get it that it might be dangerous, and credit to the cruise companies to make sure we are safe. If something happens at the last minute then take whatever action is appropriate. We can live with that.

But!! We are several months away and are on the verge of paying out serious money to take the B2B from Singapore to Athens. (Fortunately our flights and Singapore hotel are cancellable.) Petra & Israel are the main reasons we're going. No Petra/Israel, or an alternative that appeals to us, and we're wasting time and money. Celebrity have recently cancelled Israel ports, so we know it's a possibility - so what's the alternative?

It seems that Azamara don't care too much about their paying passengers....so we've established a back up plan.

TA on Royal Princess April 22. Constellation out of Venice May 19. (We booked one of the last cabins on the May 19 sailing.)

We're pretty happy with the alternative and will put Israel and Petra back on the bucket list.

As of this writing, our corporate security team is focusing on the 2015 calls to Israel. We continue to monitor the global situation and will not hesitate to make changes if we think there is a security issue.

There is no telling what the situation will be in 2016. From our experience most situations settle down and require no changes. I don't know what else I can tell you. If you are planning on sailing on other lines, in other destinations, that is of course your decision. We hope you'll come back to Azamara Club Cruises in the future. We'll be waiting for you!

All the best,

Bonnie

• 1 month later...
Any update for excursions for this sailing Bonnie, I've not heard anything despite my enquiries. Thanks in advance Jenny

Hi Jenny, I've heard no updates on tours. I'll inquire again but really won't expect to hear much until Monday. We are approaching the long Thanksgiving weekend and most people are either on the road or already home baking.

But do keep reminding me. The tours will be published, hopefully sooner than later.