Garment Pressing / Ironing

ClanMcLean

The recent thread about women's evening gowns got me thinking about garment pressing on board.

Do they have garment steamers available for items which you would not normally iron? I'm thinking of my husband's kilt etc and also any formal gowns I may take with me.

Is this something I could ask our butler to do?

Can we request to have an iron & ironing board left in our suite, for our casual clothes?

Many thanks :)

To each his/her own but an ironing board is the very, very, last thing I would want in my QG suite. I doubt such a request would be granted since an iron is a fire hazard.

The ship has a pressing service and also full service laundry and dry cleaning. I don't believe the butlers personally press anything but he or she will take what you need down below and have it done. Normal turn around is two days and express service has a 50% surcharge. I've had things returned the next day by "normal" service if things are not too busy.

The launderettes also have irons (hard wired to the wall) and ironing boards, although it's bound to be very busy before dinner on formal night.

I'm very happy with the ship's laundry service. They do an excellent job on cotton shirts or silk dresses.

Edited by BlueRiband

The laundry service has pressed DH's tux in a timely manner and did a nice job. Just be sure to give the kilt to your steward (or butler) on the afternoon or evening when you first board with the laundry slip filled out.

Have a wonderful voyage!

BlueRiband....It's probably my British heritage. The thought of crumpled clothes and not having ironing facilities within 10 yards, sends shivers down my spine :p

Thanks Jimmybean... I did a quick google and someone mentioned paying $11 for a ball gown to be pressed, so seems quite reasonable. I'll fling everything in the direction of the butler the day we arrive. I'm sure he'll love us :D

Tip: Fully open the kilt, then roll it up. Insert it into one leg of a lady's stocking (or tights). It will not crease.

The butler will indeed arrange for any clothing to be pressed, although in about 15 trips we've never needed to do so

Stewart