Mobility Issues

Danbee46

We had at least three individuals on our last cruise who utilized walkers or canes. They did not seem to have any difficulties on the ship or shore. The crew was most accommodating in assisting them in getting on and off the ship, tenders, and tour buses. We did not have any rough seas during the cruise. I would think that you will need to be especially cautious getting around the ship if the seas get rolling, however.

Enjoy your travels!

I was wondering how tough it would be on a Windstar ship for someone like me who has a bad back and needs a walker for moderate to long distances.

Dan

The following comes from the Windstar web site:

Windstar does not discriminate against persons on the basis of disability. We seek, to the extent feasible, to accommodate the needs of persons with disabilities. There are no elevators on Wind Star and Wind Spirit nor were the ships originally constructed to be wheelchair accessible. As a result, these ships may be unsuitable for people relying solely on wheelchairs. The other yachts are equipped with elevators, but staterooms on Wind Surf are not wheelchair accessible. Also note, there is no elevator access to board the ship. Star Pride, Star Breeze, and Star Legend have modified wheelchair accessible suites available.

Certain ports require the ship to anchor; in this case guests must be ferried into port. Service animals are permitted on board ships if prior arrangements have been made at time of booking. In limited situations where an individual with a disability would be unable to satisfy certain specified safety and other criteria, even when provided with appropriate auxiliary aids and services, we may find it necessary to ask the individual to make alternative travel arrangements. It is essential that Windstar is notified of any special medical, physical or other requirements you may have at the time of booking.

Hi, I think it would be best to call WS and explained your mobility issues. A very good friend of ours wanted to take the Tall Ship cruise with us this past summer. He called WS and they were very honest with him and said he would have difficulties and might be uncomfortable. They were also concerned about the tenders. This was for the sailing ship not the new yachts so I do not know if there would be a difference. I would recommend calling WS, telling them your strengths and weaknesses and let them advise you. I was extremely happy with their honesty, thinking about it he would have been uncomfortable. Good Luck Susanne

Dan,

The three smaller motor yachts do have elevators so it would seem the ship itself would be no problem. I will be on one of them in a few weeks for 14 days and will try to report back mid-Dec about the tendering situation...

I have been on a few small yacht type vessels in the past few years and it depends on getting to the tender deck to board the tender as well as the type tender they are using. If it is an inflatable type, it could be an issue. Knowing whether they use the tenders at which ports vs. docking is another issue... so the itinerary is key. All in all, there is 'nothing' like these small yachts - you feel as though it is your own. I can recommend Variety Voyager and PG Tere Moana as well as AMA Waterways and A Rosa River cruises for that small ship experience - especially the river cruises as they always tie up to a dock and most have excursions included that vary the degree of difficulty by having 3 different guides and separating the group into slow walker, mid, and faster.

Good Luck and DO try a small vessel - the service is next to none.

The 3 "new" ships do have elevators however if they tender you might have an issue getting on or off the tender. The sailing ships do not have elevators so you would need to deal with the stairs between decks as well as getting on or off the tenders. If you are looking at the sailing ships you should look at the deck plans to see where the meals are served etc so you can judge how many stairs you will need to climb.