Cash

quakecountry

In our experience, it is likely you will be able to use US dollars in most of the countries. We usually take with us what we think we will need, in cash, (generally a modest amount, especially in the Caribbean, where we are not likely to shop.) We split it between us, so one person is not carrying all. I recommend it. Then keep it in the suite safe and just remove what you think you will need each day. There is a tremendous amount of stealing of credit card numbers at ATMS all over the world. I would think the Caribbean is a prime location. This is all done so quickly: the next thing you know, you might have charges on that number all in one day, all over Italy, or wherever they are based that day. I'd rather take the chance on losing some cash than my CC number. You can lose far more and it's a tremendous hassle.

P.S. If you MUST use an ATM, try to use one located INSIDE a bank. When spending extended time in a city in Europe, not only do we go inside the bank, we try to use a bank that partners with our USA bank….they give us a list. Not only is this safe, we don't pay a foreign transaction charge.

I have worked in different parts of the Caribbean (and Africa) for over 20 years, and have never had any issues with ATM skimming. Of course you keep your eyes open and avoid one that looks to have strange additional bits of machinery attached.

But all the card fraud I have encountered has been perpetrated in the States, France and the UK.

There is more of a problem in the Caribbean that ATMs have only limited amounts of cash loaded (ATM jacking through car ramming does happen), and that you might find it out of money, just when you need it.

Agree that there are very few places where you cannot work on US$ - and (especially in the Eastern Caribbean) the exchange rate in shops is pretty well fixed.

How difficult is it to get cash at a Carribbean ATM these days? Debating how much cash to take on a 12 day cruise.

I suppose that would depend upon where you go. Some are very happy with USD, other's want the ECD or Euro. IME the ATM near the ship are a generally safe bet. If you're worried about skimmers try to take the unit apart. If it comes apart, or appears to I'd give it a pass.