Keeping in Touch...Verizon/Viber

martyap

I have read some of the posts and they have been helpful. Just want to see if I have it right.

I am sailing on the Allure and doing Western Caribbean.....Mexico/Haiti/Jamaica. I have signed up for Voom surfing and I have Viber on by iPhone and iPad. I know Viber to Viber calls are free and I have used that in the past. Viber to non Viber (my 92 year old mom's landline for example) are charged at the rate per country (Mexico is 1.5 cents, Jamaica is 22 cents.)

These charges are then deducted from my Viber account. Am I correct that if the wi-fi connection is good I should be OK to make these calls....I doubt I could make them while we are at sea but should when we are docked at these ports????

The other choice is to pick up the Verizon International plan which is $40 for the month and then cancel on our return.

I plan to do both just to cover myself.........Am I going in the right direction?

Best thing is to find an Internet cafe and you will have good connections. That said however, you can try from offshore if you have bars and the same onshore. We just use burner phones, good for whatever country we are in because Verizon will charge you an arm and leg for Data.

Best thing is to find an Internet cafe and you will have good connections. That said however, you can try from offshore if you have bars and the same onshore. We just use burner phones, good for whatever country we are in because Verizon will charge you an arm and leg for Data.

OP: before you head to an internet café or any other place at a port where you can find "free" wifi, google and watch the NBC Today Show news item on free wifi hacking scams, particularly in those locations.

As for signal "bars" offshore, vigilance and knowledge are important. Set your phone to "manual network selection" and choose a network that is a partner of the regular provider from whom you've purchased an international roaming plan (e.g., Vodaphone with AT&T). Unless you've purchased onboard mobile phone connectivity (e.g., Connect@Sea), you would not want to connect to the ship's own network "tower."

FYI: if your travels often take you to far flung regions of the world, consider AT&T as your regular carrier. With only a few exceptions, anywhere there's cell service, there's an AT&T partner. Of course, you'll still pay for the international roaming and data charges. But, buying the appropriate version of the month long "passport" plan will ease the pain. BTW, others will sing the praises of included international roaming with T-Mobile. That is great - until you hit those more exotic locations with no partners.

Bottom line is to do the research before choosing. AND, remember that much of that free internet at a port may end up being costly in other ways.

I was really interested in anyone who used Viber from the ship. I have already signed up for VOOM on the Allure. This is supposed to be a "better" wi-fi connection.

If we are docked in Cozumel or in Jamaica or in Haiti I should be able to connect to anyone who also has Viber, anywhere in the world.......for free. I should also be able to connect to anyone who does not have Viber but will be charged the per minute country rate and it will be deducted from my Viber account credits.......no roaming, no contracts.......all I need is a good wi-fi connection which I why I signed up for VOOM on the ship!

I don't want a burner phone....don't want an internet cafe......don't want AT&T.......Just want to know if anyone has used Viber via the VOOM wi-fi on the Allure.

Edited by martyap

I was really interested in anyone who used Viber from the ship. I have already signed up for VOOM on the Allure. This is supposed to be a "better" wi-fi connection.

If we are docked in Cozumel or in Jamaica or in Haiti I should be able to connect to anyone who also has Viber, anywhere in the world.......for free. I should also be able to connect to anyone who does not have Viber but will be charged the per minute country rate and it will be deducted from my Viber account credits.......no roaming, no contracts.......all I need is a good wi-fi connection which I why I signed up for VOOM on the ship!

I don't want a burner phone....don't want an internet cafe......don't want AT&T.......Just want to know if anyone has used Viber via the VOOM wi-fi on the Allure.

If you want an answer to this kind of specific question, it's always best to post it on the board of the cruise line you're on, and in your case, it's Royal Caribbean.