First DCL cruise

cruisenovice2

Hi All

I am a relative new cruiser. Have 2 under my belt so far. One was Princess and one was RCCL. Some in my family want to try DCL but I am a little worried as we have no small children we are all adults. Is there enough for adults to do and would we have a good time? We are looking at the Dream for a 3 night sailing. Any insight would be appreciated!!

Hi All

I am a relative new cruiser. Have 2 under my belt so far. One was Princess and one was RCCL. Some in my family want to try DCL but I am a little worried as we have no small children we are all adults. Is there enough for adults to do and would we have a good time? We are looking at the Dream for a 3 night sailing. Any insight would be appreciated!!

We've done 11 DCL cruises. All adult-only. And we've yet to do everything.

Especially on a 3 night cruise, you're not going to be able to do everything.

It honestly depends on what you want.

A 3 night cruise is very short. There are few "adult only" activities as there is very little non-port time. The "adult only" areas will be open. These include the Quiet Cove pool and bar area, the Cove Cafe (by the pool), the spa, fitness center, and the nightclub area (after 9 pm). DCL is good about enforcing "no kids" in the nightclub area. They are not so good about "adult only" by the adult pool area.

There will be a Broadway style show each night. There will be a pirate night deck show and buffet. There will be adult dances (themed) and possibly some game show type activities in the nightclub areas at night.

There are movies shown on port days. There are "family trivia games, but not a lot on port days.

If your intent is to be off the ship and in port, you'll have more than enough to do. If you plan to stay on the ship while it is in port, you'll have the spa, pool, fitness center, etc. but very few scheduled activities.

You've encountered some of the same idea on other lines--Princess doesn't serve a sit down restaurant lunch on port days (DCL does). It just doesn't make sense to schedule as much since most passengers are not on board.

We've managed to stay busy on 30 DCL cruises, many "adult only." BUT we like longer cruises with lots of sea days. The longer the cruise, the more is scheduled.

Edited by moki'smommy

It honestly depends on what you want.

A 3 night cruise is very short. There are few "adult only" activities as there is very little non-port time. The "adult only" areas will be open. These include the Quiet Cove pool and bar area' date=' the Cove Cafe (by the pool), the spa, fitness center, and the nightclub area (after 9 pm). DCL is good about enforcing "no kids" in the nightclub area. They are not so good about "adult only" by the adult pool area.

There will be a Broadway style show each night. There will be a pirate night deck show and buffet. There will be adult dances (themed) and possibly some game show type activities in the nightclub areas at night.

There are movies shown on port days. There are "family trivia games, but not a lot on port days.

If your intent is to be off the ship and in port, you'll have more than enough to do. If you plan to stay on the ship while it is in port, you'll have the spa, pool, fitness center, etc. but very few scheduled activities.

You've encountered some of the same idea on other lines--Princess doesn't serve a sit down restaurant lunch on port days (DCL does). It just doesn't make sense to schedule as much since most passengers are not on board.

We've managed to stay busy on 30 DCL cruises, many "adult only." BUT we like longer cruises with lots of sea days. The longer the cruise, the more is scheduled.[/quote']

Very well said, I couldn't have said it better myself!

We went on the dream last year, me DW and then 7yr old, but hardly saw our son as he was in the kids club a lot. Only times we saw him him was Castaway Cay, the brief hour we had in Nassau and evening meal times. There is plenty for the adults to do, Adult only area, bars, quizzes, so you won't have any trouble finding things to do. Of course, you can always just find a lounger in a quiet spit near the pool area and indulge in Disney films lol

Another party who are adult only and enjoy DCL. (We are not Disney fanatics by any means but love the service and attention to detail, it really is 5 star).

The 3 nighter will be a taster, it is how we were introduced to the line (great price back in the day with FL resident discount) and gradually worked our way up to the longer cruises. (We are now having a wee break to try other destinations, the one downside to DCL in the Caribbean at least).

We spend most of our time on DCL in the adult only areas and make sure we dine in Palo and Remy (adult only restaurants) every cruise. We love CC adult only beach too.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

If you like to gamble and party all night, you won't like the cruise.

If you are okay with having adults only clubs from 9:00pm to midnight, then you'll probably be fine.

I do adults only Disney cruises, but I don't party all night. I hang out in the adults only areas and rarely do mixed age events. I enjoy the cruises, but I am a laid back person.

Hi All

Here, read through these: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/

• 2 weeks later...
Was thinking about trying Disney but the prices start for inside cabin higher than Royal Carribbean cabin with balcony. Why are they so much higher than RCL? They can't be that much better

"Better" is subjective. If people are willing to pay premium prices for a Disney cruise, that's what they are going to charge.

If people stopped paying the prices, then Disney MIGHT start reviewing their prices. But I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

We like DCL, haven't been on Royal Caribbean (yet), so can't compare the two.

We have been on Princess, Carnival, and Holland America. And, still can't compare any of them to any of the others. Each line is it's own experience. And worth the cost.