Titanic

Normandie

I would like to remind everyone that Titanic sank 92 years ago this week. After hitting an iceberg, she went down in the early hours of April 15, 1912. I adore cruising on modern ship, but have a deep appreciation for Titanic and historical liners like her. Any other Titanic/Normandie/Queen Mary afficianados on the boards?

Titanic person here. I recommend "The Last Log of the Titanic" as an excellent take on what probably happened on the bridge (and the engine room) of the Titanic from about 11:40 that night. Well worth buying. I have read my copy several times and just loaned it to my brother, who worked in a shipyard building and repairing oceangoing and Great Lakes ships.

Put "Cruise Critic" in e-mail subject line: tomcarten@hotmail.com

Thanks for the book recommendation. I just realized that next month on my first ever cruise to Alaska, the ship departs on a Wednesday, the same date of the week that Titanic departed Southampton...how cool is that?

The May issue of the Atlantic Monthly has a horrific account of the sinking of a passenger ferry in the Baltic Sea. "One of the worst maritime disasters in European history took place a decade ago. On a stormy night on the Baltic Sea, more than 850 people lost their lives when a luxurious ferry sank below the waves. From survivor testimony and other sources our correspondent has pieced together the Estonia's last moments...."

Archived