Packing Clothes--set in luggage unfolded?? Do you do this?

AngelinaMaria

I know packing has been discussed a lot on this board (I did a search and found a number of threads) but I'm wanting to explore another method that I didn't see discussed. I've read a lot about rolling clothes and putting clothes in ziplocks. It seems like if you put them in ziplocks and squeeze the air out then the clothes will be smushed flat and get lots of wrinkles??

I read someplace that someone would lay out each item of clothes in a stack (completely unfolded)--start with the pants, then do shirts on top of the pans, then gently set the stack into your suitcase. Fold the shirt arms that hang out over the edge of the suitcase over and the pant legs over into the suitcase area. They said this helped ensure the least wrinkles. It seems to me like this would be a good method. My suitcase is large enough that I don't need to worry about getting more space, plus my items will be packed for almost a full 48 hours before I can unpack on the ship. Have you used this method?

Here's what I usually do. I use jumbo ziplock bags and press the air out. Clothes are no more wrinkled than if you just pack them directly in the suitcase. Then when I unpack, the ziplocks simply come out of suitcase and get placed on the shelves in closet, or drawers. I can easily see what's in each and know what is still clean.

Several items fit in a bag. So one bag will have my bathing suits, one undies, one a few t-shirts, etc.

It's worked for me...that's my story...I'm sticking to it.

Calm seas to you all....

Packing this way also helps if you end up being searched by TSA. While your way of packing sounds nice and probably saves wrinkles I prefer knowing that no one at the TSA is touching my clothes if they picked for the random search :eek: In the ziplock bags it's easy for them to take out the bags, feel for anything questionable and then throw them back in the suitcase.

Angelina - the method you are reffering to is actually a very well known one that many people swear by! I have a book called "Secrets of the Carry On Traveler" and they recommend this method and go into detail on how to pack various items. I have tried it, but always go back to rolling my clothes or using a space saver bag. I think my toiletries/makeup bags take up too much room to make the "Carry On Traveler" method work well for me :)

There is a site that also explains this method. I will try to find it for you and post it if you are interested.

mirrajay--I would appreciate anything you can find. I can see the easy of using the ziplocks (especially with the TSA looking through your stuff), yet it still seems like the clothes would arrive wrinkled plus the bags would slide all around in my suitcase since it looks like there will be excess room.

i used that method last sept and did not have any wrinkles. for my formal wear i still put tissue paper in between the items but it worked great . i was so surprised. of course when i got to the cabin i unpacked right away to get rid of any wrinkles that might have been there. but not a one. i will keep using this way of packing. i found out how to do this off of the magellin travel store home site.

First things first. I pack with rolled up clothes. Its always been pretty good. Somethings don't do too well but then i try to use the dryer. I did read a piece recently about the method of placing the clothes in the suitcase hanging out over the edges and placing each item down on each piece till you have to more to place. They fold the top item in and repeat with each item folded upon each item till you reach the last piece. It seemed to make sense so i am going to try this on my next trip. Hopefully it works. When i get where i'm going i immediately unpack and pray that everything is ok. As for the delicate pieces, i will still use tissue paper. Its good to try new things. I hope?

you pack the stuff real nice and then you close the luggage and stand it on end and gravity takes over and everything moves to the bottom of the suitcase --using the ziplock bags helps avoid the pileup at the bottom of the bag because eveything in in a bag within the bag

Thanks for posting that website. It is quite interesting to see it diagramed out like that. It looks like a really great method--until you think about the possiblity of the security screeners searching your bag and I can see that it would be a mess if that happened. You would have to take everything out and start the packing process all over and I just don't see that being practical while in a crowded airport (I would think that would be very stressful). So, I'm still wondering what the best method to avoid wrinkles is (not the method that gives the most room).

I've heard a lot of people mentioning using tissue between items. Is this just the regular tissue you can get for gift wrapping items? What exactly does the tissue do--prevent items from slipping around? Unfortunately, last night I discovered that the new suitcase that I got doesn't have the pressure straps that stretch across and hold down the items so things were really slipping and sliding in there when I used it this weekend.

AngelinaMaria, hello there. When I packed for the last one I had just picked up all my shirts from the cleaners. I took those and my dress slacks hangers included and put them in the suitcase just as you describe. When onboard and unpacking, took them out hung them up, just about wrinkel free.

Also, while I know very few people want to do ironing while on vacation, Princess ships do have self serve laundrys on almost every deck. Washer, dryer, iron and ironing boards. don't sweat the packing, can always "iron" it out...:D

3_2_114.gif

I've never used the ziplocs before, although I think they're worth a try after reading so much about them. My most success method has been to fold everything in half. Then, I put all my undies, socks, swimsuit, etc. around the edges where I had leftover space to keep stuff from shifting. I even had suits in my bag. Didn't have to iron at all. At most, I have one crease that might need to be ironed, but I've been able to wear those at the end of my (business) trip, and the wrinkles are out by the time I wear it. Last time I cruised, I was so short on time, I packed everything just out of the dryer, flew in, went to the hotel and ironed everything, packed up the next morning, and immediately unpacked when I got my suitcase. Clothes had only been in suitcase a few hours, which also helped. Good luck.

I've actually done a combination of the fold over and rolling process. I travel quite a bit for both business and pleasure and find this works based on the articles of clothing. For things like shorts, tshirts, bathingsuits and the more casual wear(I know, that's another thread - whats casual :D ), rolling works very well. I place these items as the bottom layer of the suitcase. Toiletries and heavy weight items are loaded to the left of the suitcase (this become the bottom once the suitcase is standing on end). This helps prevent the pile-up effect. Then, with the dresser items such as suits, skirts and dresses, go on the top layer using the fold over method. The fold over method is great at preventing "hard creases". I also leave these items in the dry cleaning bags as well.

Since everything is not folded, I found during TSA inspections, they are familiar with these packing styles and will usually gently lift the top layer at the ends.

Just my two cents worth, everyone will find what works for them. Trial and error!

Thanks for posting that website. It is quite interesting to see it diagramed out like that. It looks like a really great method--until you think about the possiblity of the security screeners searching your bag and I can see that it would be a mess if that happened. You would have to take everything out and start the packing process all over and I just don't see that being practical while in a crowded airport (I would think that would be very stressful). So, I'm still wondering what the best method to avoid wrinkles is (not the method that gives the most room).
Once the screeners check your checked luggage, you are not allowed to touch it again until your destination - at least that has been my experience.

I use a combination of most of the above methods, and my clothes always do well. I should also mention that I'm a compulsive ironer-- I even do my t-shirts-- but I don't want to waste any vacation time doing ironing! I put undies, nighties, t-shirts (after ironing and carefully folding!), and bathing suits in zipper bags. These are on the bottom of the suitcase. Shoes, in plastic grocery bags, go around the edges of the suitcase, along with hard items such as hair dryer and hot rollers. Most of the rest of my stuff is packed with each outfit on a wire coat hanger in a dry cleaner's bag. I layer these hanging over, the way it's described above, and then use each item to cushion the others. Unpacking is very quick and easy this way as well.

And I take Downy Wrinkle Release spray... just in case. :)

If your problem is that you still have room in your suitcase and things will shift - yes, I think you are more likely to have wrinkles then.

(BTW - I can't believe good clothes come out of a compressed plastic bag without being excesssively wrinkled - but I do pack all my "I don't care if they're wrinkled" clothes in ziplocks.)

If you have extra space in your suitcase, buy some of those inflatable packing things. Stores that mail packages for you have these inflatable things instead of the messy plastic pnuts. If you would put a number of those in your suitcase, the stuff would not move. Plus you have the added advantage of the inflated things not adding weight to your suitcase.

For those of us who used the baggie method of packing, overweight is becoming a real issue since we can fit a whole lot more in a suitcase when compressing our clothes.

Jeez - now I realize why I dread packing. :mad: There are just too many things to think about.

Another reason to consider using the zip lock baggies is that your luggage might be outside in the rain either at an airport or at the pier. This happened to us in Ensenada. The bus transported us from San Diego to Ensenada and when we arrived it had started to rain. The luggage from the busses was stacked out in the rain. When our luggage finally arrived at our stateroom, it was soaked, but the baggies protected our clothing. Nothing inside was ruined.

We use the Hefty 2 1/2 gallon Zip Locks.

Fran

For me, I have always rolled our clothes. Upon arrival, I immediately hang them up, and if there are any minor wrinkles, I hang the items on the bathroom door. When we shower, the steam will dissipate the wrinkles. For me, too, rolling enables me to pack more.;)

smudge's mom--thanks for mentioning those air filled packing things. I just happened to be cleaning house today and came across a large sack full of these that had come in a few packages during the past year. Mine are labeled "Fill-Air Inflatable Packaging, Sealed Air Corporation"--quite official sounding don't you think??? I bet these will be just the ticket for helping to fill the extra space I will probably have. Plus, like you said, they are weightless and can be left behind if I buy stuff on my trip. I imagine you could do the same with air filled ziplock bags but don't know that they would hold the air under pressure. I think I will look for the really big ziplocks for items that I'm not too worried about wrinkles as well.

We rolled the clothes and packed them to drive to NewOrleans. SOmeone told us it would keep them from getting wrinkled.

Well, it rained on the way down there.

They didn't get wet but had wrinkles real bad.

Worse than if we had of just thrown them in the luagges.

What did we do wrong?

We rolled them pretty tight.

I found this works well and limits the amount of wrinkles: underwear, tshirts, etc... roll.and pack first. Shirts, pressed and folded at cleaners. dress pants the same. when packing my large suitcase, I stand it on end, the way you will be pulling it. I pack all the small stuff, and then shorts and bathing suits and and then all the clothing from the cleaners on top. Your luggage still will get tossed around and squished, but at least when it stands on end, your dressy clothing wont get as wrinkled. I swear by Downy's wrinkle free spray... it's wonderful... I do use zip lock bags for toiletries and to keep small stuff together. I also use them in my carry on and back pack, (having been chosen for searches every time we fly.. I guess what they say is true.. little old ladies with grey hair are suspicious! For this reason I always wear slip on shoes!

Archived