Repositioning Cruise Question???

SailingGal

Hello All,

Repositioning Questions??

I hope you have some advise. We are thinking of traveling on a RCCL Voyager repositioning cruise. Have you ever traveled on one. Does the entertainment and service on this type of cruise suffer, because it is not the normal routine? We were also concerned that maybe the ports would not have as much to offer because this is not a standard voyage. We would be going to Aruba for two days and Labadee their out island. Most of our days are at sea. Would love to hear from others who have traveled on a repositioning cruise.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Karen

On a repositioning cruise with RCCL I experienced one big advantage: It was only half sold. Thus there was single seating and the staff had more time for personal attention.

On the other hand some bar waiters were very aggresive in selling to the lower number of customers.

The not so often visited ports seemed to be especially concerned to please the visitors. The less touristic infrastructure proved to be even an advantage.

it is a standard cruise but it only happens 2xs a year when the ship is repositioned from its summer sailing schedule (say alaska) to its winter sailing schedule(say ft laud)---there is nothing cut back such as entertainment food etc etc on a cruise of this type

I've been on several repositioning cruises including one on RCCL - the Serenade from Philadelphia to San Juan last fall. Because repositioning cruises are usually longer, they do have to add some menus and adjust the entertainment, but we have not found it impacts quality.

We like repositioning cruises, especially ones leaving or returning to the Northeast because we do not have to fly in one direction. We also like the longer length. In addition, they tend to be less popular so you usually get more for your money.

The only disadvantage of repositioning cruises that we have found is difficulty of getting reasonable one-way airfare. Sometimes the cruise line offers reduced air, but usually not in conjunction with the lowest cruise prices. This is not a problem for us if the start or end port is in Florida because of all the discount airlines going from the NY airports to Florida; however, it was a problem when we ended in San Juan. In the end, by watching prices, I was able to get a good fare to Newark. Ironically, it was better than my sister could get to Miami.

I just got back from the Infinity's repositioning from Vancouver to Honolulu. I loved the sea days most of all. The crew seemed excited to be going someplace new. (They had been sailing around Alaska all summer which is beautiful but cold.) Each day the weather got warmer, and the anticipation of Hawaii seemed to grow. I ate in the dining room every night and did not see any duplicate dinners. I can't really speak to the entertainment since I only went to a couple of shows. I would definitely take this cruise again.

We have done several re-positioning cruises.

Years ago when we took our first one, the prices were cheap and the ship was half empty. Many people didn't want to pay the huge airfares (open-jaw) or otherwise since the cruise invloved embarking the ship in one port and dismebarking in a different port.

But times have changed. The last couple of re-positioning cruises that we have done the ships were completely booked. We visited the same ports that are normally visited by the ships taking 7 and 10 day cruises. There were lots of different entertainers - some joined the ship part way through the cruise while others left. And the menus varied as well. One thing we have noticed is that the prices aren't as cheap anymore for those cruises. They have become quite popular.

The major benifit with repositioning cruise's come down to 2 words!

SEA DAY'S

There are always more sea days in a reposition than on a regular cruise.

So if lazy days sleeping in and by the pool is your cup of tea, then go for it.

Repo cruises are my fav.

Just you and the ship and wide open sea.

Relax relax relax!!

Cheers

Archived