Birthday on the Disney Dream

trishb13

Hello to all,

I am traveling on the Dream on Sept. 30th with two of my grandchildren who has a birthday on the ship. I have heard that if you let cruise line know before hand which I have that they will serve birthday cake at dinner for the child. Is this true? I don't want to pre order a cake if they do. Also, if you know of any thing else that may be done for them that would be helpful. Also, my daughter and husband will be on during their anniversary too! I guess we will be partying for the whole cruise!!

Hello to all,

I am traveling on the Dream on Sept. 30th with two of my grandchildren who has a birthday on the ship. I have heard that if you let cruise line know before hand which I have that they will serve birthday cake at dinner for the child. Is this true? I don't want to pre order a cake if they do. Also, if you know of any thing else that may be done for them that would be helpful. Also, my daughter and husband will be on during their anniversary too! I guess we will be partying for the whole cruise!!

The special dessert for a birthday isn't a full cake. It's an individual chocolate mousse-type cake for the birthday person. The honoree will also get celebratory buttons (but it's better to pick those up yourself at Guest Services early in the day, so that the CMs on board can all wish the birthday child Happy Birthday all day). Also the servers sing their rendition of Happy Birthday.

I wouldn't order a cake. There are plenty of "free" desserts onboard, no sense in paying for something that you'll probably only eat a few slices of and (even though they say "take it back to your room") you'll not finish it.

The celebration should be noted on your reservation. And it's not a bad idea to confirm with your head server that they have the celebration noted.

We told DCL that my husband was celebrating his 40th birthday. They gave him a birthday button to wear and sang happy birthday to him the last night of the cruise. There was no special cake involved (but then again, I did not request one specifically). However, they did write Happy birthday on the plate of the dessert that he ordered after the meal. That's it, though. :)

There was a time when DCL provided a nice, but small, included family size birthday cake to those Guests celebrating their birthday on that cruise, but then...... as expected....

My sons/daughters/husband's/wife's/aunt/uncle birthday is next week/in two weeks/a month requests go in, and fulfilled wanting to please everyone, so they stopped it. Years ago.

I've even read of next month birthday requests of just the cake slice they now offer.

Greed and expectations that are out of control ruin it for the rest of us.

So DCLCrazy and others maybe paying the price of no more cake at all. Just chocolate syrup writing on a plate.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Here is just one example of people on the DIS actively encouraging another to and advocating the abuse of the celebratory desert.

We are cruising this fall and the day we debark is my birthday and we embark a few days after my husband's birthday. We're traveling with my in laws and they are also celebrating milestone birthdays this year though not so close to sailing. Still we'd like to celebrate all these birthdays on the cruise.

As long as your birthday is 6 months before or after your cruise you can celebrate it. :teeth:

And some that post on here as well play party to it.... :mad:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/celebrating-special-occasions-on-the-ship.3534235/

It is no wonder it was withdrawn and no longer is provided as part of the cruise experience with this level of exploitation.

ex techie

Here is just one example of people on the DIS actively encouraging another to and advocating the abuse of the celebratory desert.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/celebrating-special-occasions-on-the-ship.3534235/

It is no wonder it was withdrawn and no longer is provided as part of the cruise experience with this level of exploitation.

ex techie

I follow a couple of Facebook pages that are brutal on the entitlement people. The DVC page especially is not for the light-hearted :D

We sailed the first week of June and the lady at initial check in noticed my niece's birth date on birth certificate and told her happy birthday. They left the button and stuff on the bed the night before her birthday and we brought and hung our own decorations while she was doing kid activities. I will say we bought a very expensive cake and my wife had faxed in the info and spoke to them to confirm and the night of her birthday it never showed up at dinner. The head waiter was awesome and actually called the head pastry chef who whipped up a huge awesome cake in about 10 minutes, turns out he's a local celebrity at home for a cooking tv show. The next night was our last night so I had the waiter call him back up to give him a tip, next thing we know sampler platters of desserts just start showing up at our table! Bottom line if for some reason Disney screws up, they go above and beyond to make it up!

We sailed the first week of June and the lady at initial check in noticed my niece's birth date on birth certificate and told her happy birthday. They left the button and stuff on the bed the night before her birthday and we brought and hung our own decorations while she was doing kid activities. I will say we bought a very expensive cake and my wife had faxed in the info and spoke to them to confirm and the night of her birthday it never showed up at dinner. The head waiter was awesome and actually called the head pastry chef who whipped up a huge awesome cake in about 10 minutes, turns out he's a local celebrity at home for a cooking tv show. The next night was our last night so I had the waiter call him back up to give him a tip, next thing we know sampler platters of desserts just start showing up at our table! Bottom line if for some reason Disney screws up, they go above and beyond to make it up!

That is the great Disney "Guest Experience Recovery" I am more used to!

The head waiter and head pastry chef turned what could have been a negative experience into a great one. They are a credit to DCL.

ex techie

I follow a couple of Facebook pages that are brutal on the entitlement people. The DVC page especially is not for the light-hearted :D

Is that the one moderated by Rainville? I love that page.

Here is just one example of people on the XXX actively encouraging another to and advocating the abuse of the celebratory desert.

http://www.xxxx.com/threads/celebrating-special-occasions-on-the-ship.3534235/

ex techie

That is why CC posts on this board that encourage grifters to abuse the system go poof!

We've already lost character signatures and unlimited alcohol because of the abuses. I do't want to lose more.

That is why CC posts on this board that encourage grifters to abuse the system go poof!

We've already lost character signatures and unlimited alcohol because of the abuses. I do't want to lose more.

Totally agree with you, and agree with the grifters posts being removed.

Only posted the link for reference of how bad it has gotten for reference to those that wish to exploit services.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie