Are there any unique things to see in Cagliari?

WayneFougere

We'll only be in Cagliari from noon to 6pm on a Tuesday in April. From what I've seen so far, walking around and/or sitting in an outdoor cafe (weather permitting) sipping a coffee or a beer, absorbing the atmosphere, seems like a sensible plan for this port. Is there anything specific that we shouldn't miss? Are there preferred places to hang out (cafes or restaurants to favor) or specific streets to walk?

Regards,

Wayne

I filter everything through the lens of ancient history, but for what it's worth....

Nora is a wonderful archaeological site not far from Cagliari and right on the water. It started out as a Punic site and later became Roman. Nice ruins and especially picturesque in late afternoon (makes for good photos).

In terms of Cagliari itself, if you want to stay in town I'd probably recommend a wander up the hill to see the Castello and a stop at the Archaeological Museum, then enjoy your well-earned coffee or beer.

There's a TI spot very close to where ships dock, so you can get a map and recommendations there for any self-guided wandering.

I filter everything through the lens of ancient history, but for what it's worth....

Nora is a wonderful archaeological site not far from Cagliari and right on the water. It started out as a Punic site and later became Roman. Nice ruins and especially picturesque in late afternoon (makes for good photos).

In terms of Cagliari itself, if you want to stay in town I'd probably recommend a wander up the hill to see the Castello and a stop at the Archaeological Museum, then enjoy your well-earned coffee or beer.

There's a TI spot very close to where ships dock, so you can get a map and recommendations there for any self-guided wandering.

Assuming they have a cell signal, I have my map on my phone.

I'm certain we'll be walking around Cagliari (as much as our old knees will permit) and had planned on walking up to the Museum when I though it was going to be https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuragic_and_Contemporary_art_museum but street view shows something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We'll only be in Cagliari from noon to 6pm on a Tuesday in April. From what I've seen so far, walking around and/or sitting in an outdoor cafe (weather permitting) sipping a coffee or a beer, absorbing the atmosphere, seems like a sensible plan for this port. Is there anything specific that we shouldn't miss? Are there preferred places to hang out (cafes or restaurants to favor) or specific streets to walk?

Regards,

Wayne

We were in Cagliari last year. I would recommend to visit the main cathedral when you will be up in Castello, just to walk there along the old streets, they are charming, to take pictures of the city from above. The beach Poetto is very nice too. You need a bus to go there. in the beginning of it there is a place called Marina Picolo ( small port). That is so nice! there is a fish restaurant there where we ate some seafood. Delicious!