The 'best' QM2 stateroom?

Goldie Girl

I am eagerly anticipating the 2010 brochures (due to other plans it's unlikely I will cruise in 2009), and with the help of a friendly TA, think I have already earmarked the very QM2 voyage I want.....

Now, all I need to do is work out which stateroom. I doubt I'll travel PG / QG, but apart from that I'm willing to consider all other grades with balconies.

I have trawled other threads - and obviously have my own experience, but don't have the definitive answer, so, a question to anyone who has travelled on the QM2: which do you consider the best stateroom? Please name 'numbers'. (I suspect I won't be the only person reading the answers with interest...... :D

Thanks in advance!

Ok, sorry I should have perhaps added the bits of research I had already done:

As I understand it, an A3 fwd is a good position, with an A2 / A1 also good position, as long as one stays away from the funnel casing?

And that 8011 / 8012 are unobstructed fwd, with 8112 / 8114 / 8111 / 8113 unobstructed aft.

As I think I am probably looking for an unobstructed view, are there any opinions of any of the above positions?

And is an AA worth it? (I have read the reviews, but still unable to decide).

I would really value opinions & expertise on these or any other favourite QM2 staterooms.

Many thanks, :confused:

I really liked the mid-ship deck 11 balcony room I had. The advantage of these balcony rooms over the in-hull balconies is that the bannister is made of glass rather than steel so you can see the ocean while lying in bed. A very pleasant way to spend part of the day, particularly if the temperature is too cool to spend much time out on the balcony. I also liked its location on the ship--there are glass elevators at the end of the corrider that go down a few decks (to deck 6 I think) and it was convenient to go up one flight to the open deck. (I'm not saying its worth the extra money, but it was so nice I'll probably try to book the same cabin on my next transatlantic.)

Thank you Flagfan. That's worth knowing. There's a bit of me steering to the Britannia Grill AA stateroom (which I take it you had), but I am really debating whether I can justify the extra cost to my other half! When the prices are released I might need to opt for an inside cabin anyway!!!

Goldie Girl, I think I would prefer a balcony on your itinerary. However, I personally would be happy with one of the obstructed view cabins. I have visited in cabin 8013 and thought the view was excellent. Your view is clear toward the front of the ship and looking straight out. The view is blocked when looking aft. Cabin 8014 has the same view. Cabin 8109 has a clear view toward the aft and while looking straight out. Since you are planning so far ahead, your friendly TA should be able to snag one of those cabins if you are interested.

I love eating in the very elegant Britannia Dining Room. However, I have not had an AA cabin or tried the Britannia Club. Some of the reviews from those who have booked the AA Britannia Club cabins have been very positive.

When the prices are released, you can compare the cost of the various cabins and make your decision. With your itinerary, I would book a less expensive cabin and put more money into booking excursions in various ports. However, that is just my opinion.

The QM2 is my favorite ship and I would be happy in an inside cabin just to be on the ship - especially on such a wonderful itinerary! You are going to have so much fun planning this voyage.

Beth

I was on the Easter Getaway of March, 2008, and stayed in Cabin 4024, an interior cabin. Given it was a shorter trip, and it was my first cruise, I was happy with it. Besides, there was very little time to hang around in the cabin, as there is so much to do onboard, so much to look at, and, of course, there is food available almost anywhere at any time.

I can't claim to know the best; we had 11000 with no complaints. I can speak for one of the worst: my MIL had 4124 (I think); it was the last sheltered cabin on the port side and directly over the nightclub G32. After 2 very noisy nights and complaints to the Purser, she was moved further forward and enjoyed the rest of the 10 day cruise.

Thank you Flagfan. That's worth knowing. There's a bit of me steering to the Britannia Grill AA stateroom (which I take it you had), but I am really debating whether I can justify the extra cost to my other half! When the prices are released I might need to opt for an inside cabin anyway!!!

Actually, I cruised before there was a Britannia AA category (it was only 2 years ago and already things have changed). I was in an Britannia cabin, category A (an upgrade, so I didn't have to make a decision then about whether it was worth the price--next time I'll have to factor the cost into the cabin decision). I really enjoyed the Britannia non-AA category, where you have set seating times with set tablemates (all categories except AA have set dining times). Cunard did an excellent job pairing up the people at the table and I don't think it was a conincidence--we were all traveling solo and they put us together (about the same age too (give or take 10 years)). Britannia AA has no set seating time so you may not dine with the same people each night (depending on when you show up to eat and they do (or so I understand)). The point being I think it would be a good choice to go with a Britannia non-AA cabin.

Hi Goldie Girl. We've been in many cabins on the QM2 - I think, without doubt, the best value/located are the obstructed B5/B6 on deck 8 - the position is wonderful - Todd English at one end with access to the terrace - and the spa/library/commadore club at the front - also one deck down from Kings Court (the buffet).

These cabins have a glass balcony (as apposed to an in-hull metal balcony).

The only downside is that you get so see lifeboat for the whole trip - which doesn't matter really for a TA as there's not much to see! If you chose this category well, you can get a cabin in between lifeboats and have some view or there is a smaller lifeboat which you can see straight over quite comfortably (around cabins 8048 - easy to spot in the brochure). I always avoided obstructed views - I now asked for it first on the QM2 because they are just such great value.

The position of these wins over the lack of view every time... Even though we were in 8071 last time... and looked at lifeboat number 13 for 12 days! ouch!

Wow! Thank you all so much for your time & your advice. I will sit down with your answers & a deck plan & try to make a decision. (And then probably have to revisit that decision when the prices come out!!).

I'm already excited by the itinerary - and have had no problem convincing the OH either! How good is that?!

Like thehighseas, I ask for the B5/B6 cabins on deck 8. Some of them are less obstructed than others (as you can see from the plans). My first QM2 caribbean cruise most of the ports were tender parts so the lifeboat was missing all day. So my cabin (8076)was only obstructed at night:) .On many voyages these cabins are only slightly more expensive than the C1 category, so it's like getting a "Free" personal outdoor space.

Needless to say I have 2 more booked (8103 which TA says is about 75% obstructed) and 8056.

Denise

Like thehighseas, I ask for the B5/B6 cabins on deck 8. Some of them are less obstructed than others (as you can see from the plans). My first QM2 caribbean cruise most of the ports were tender parts so the lifeboat was missing all day. So my cabin (8076)was only obstructed at night:) .On many voyages these cabins are only slightly more expensive than the C1 category, so it's like getting a "Free" personal outdoor space.

Needless to say I have 2 more booked (8103 which TA says is about 75% obstructed) and 8056.

Denise

Hi Denise,

We were in 8103 last year and really enjoyed it. You have a nice view between the lifeboats. Hope you like it as much as we did.

Beth

Archived