Aft cabin on the Conquest/Verandah Deck-Did we pick the wrong cabins?

Karshrimp

We were very excited when we got upgraded from 2 aft cabins on the 6th floor to 2 aft cabins on the 8th floor (Verandah Deck) for our cruise next January. We now have cabins 8454 and 8452. I know there is a pool on that end of the ship on the floor above us.

From the posts I have been reading in the past few days about those aft cabins (particularly the 8th floor), I am beginning to worry a little. I have read: 1) there will be noise because of the pool above us. 2) They haven't any cover and the sun beats down on you. 3) There isn't any breeze back there. 4) When the automatic sprinklers come on to wash the windows on the floor above, anything on the balcony will get wet. I know there's more, but I can't remember them all right now.

Has anyone been in the aft cabins on the 8th floor of the Conquest and can tell me if any of this is true? Did you like your cabin? I guess I am just looking for a little reassurance here that we did the right thing by going up to that level, or should we had stayed on the 6th level?

Thanks to all who can help! :)

Everything you just stated is true, you will hear lounge chairs being pushed around, you balcony will get wet, there is no cover so the sun can get pretty hot and no nice breeze, the 7th floor is much more quiet.

All this being said, we love the verandah deck aft and don't mind any of the above problems.

oh ya, the people on the pool deck can look down right on your balcony so don't do anything i wouldn't do.

you forgot the noise and the vibrations...etc. the flying fish that leap onto your balcony.

the balcony will get wet-- but thats done in the early am hours when the sprinklers come on to wash the salt off the balcony. When you wak e up everymorning you swear it rained last night.

(dont leave anything out there that you dont want to get wet or blown away)

Its not that it gets pretty hot out there-- it is warm but not intolerable. You just dont get ocean breezes like a side balcony.

you wont get noise rfom the pool area itself. you will get the scrapping of the pool chairs when they set up inthe morning--it lasts for a few seconds.

(we had an aft on the miracle and we were worried about the midnight adult party-- we never heard a peep. I was amazed- )

Most of my sailings were on the aft. Victory, Miracle, LEgend, Voyager, I have the Destiny and Caribbean Princess afts booked. I tried a side balcony and am preetty spoiled by an aft balcony.. I felt cheated as those are pretty small in comparrison.

my advice.. your cabin is already picked and booked. Dont sweat the small stuff.. onto other pressing issues like excursions.

your cabin is fine and you will have a great time.

I prefer to be closer to the water... i would have stayed on deck 6 but on this class of ship deck 7 is where to be.

Yep, Deck 7, between two other passenger decks, is the place to be.

The Verandah Deck aft balcony cabins were nice, but I'll never intentionally book another one.

oh ya, the people on the pool deck can look down right on your balcony so don't do anything i wouldn't do.

the only thing people will see when looking down is people standing at the railing. You can not see into the balcony itself

http://community.webshots.com/photo/345236723/1345237741048089317FEssCk

please note: http://community.webshots.com/photo/549501122/2440093150036854919dokSYq

the people on the ppol deck aft will belooking through plexiglass that is not on an angle. (again IF they are looking down they are not seeing anything except water.

Serene56...is that true about the flying fish leaping onto the balcony, or are you just pulling my leg? :eek: I think I will take your advice and not sweat the small stuff, the cabins are fine. No matter what happens, it beats being at work!! :D

I love the Veranda aft and wish I could have booked one for my next cruise but the cabin I wanted was taken. I did not find much noise if any at all. The sprinklers do get your balcony wet but not until late at night and most of it is dried in the morning when you get up. It is a great location as you are very near the Lido deck buffet and aft pool. People can only see onto your balcony if you are standing by the rail and the view is fantastic. I would not worry about your cabin but then again that is just me. Linda

Serene56...is that true about the flying fish leaping onto the balcony, or are you just pulling my leg? :eek: I think I will take your advice and not sweat the small stuff, the cabins are fine. No matter what happens, it beats being at work!! :D

Karen-- lol no...lol you added all the rest of the stuff that i had to add my own..

I learned about sweating the small stuff -our aft baclony was on the upper deck (above a lounge) I was soo worried about noise. I think I turned myself prematurely grey...:D We heard nothing all week.

I found out while on the cruise that cabins-although above the lounge are situated where the seating area is and not the stage area where the bands play.

BUT if people can see into your balcony--(which they cant) who cares what they will see -- you wont see any of them after the end of the week anyways.

Remember when reading peoples stuff that it their opinion on what happened on their cruise. It doesnt mean it will be the same for you

Last year we had an aft cabin on the Verandah deck of the Triumph - LOVED IT :D We heard chairs once....just once.....one morning, when people were up there having breakfast.

We have booked another aft on the Panorama deck of the Legend for this year. It is close to all of the "action" - only one flight away from a snack or drink. It is quiet - no one comes that far back on the ship unless they have a cabin back there. So there are not alot of folks wandering around in the wee hours of the morning "lost".

Yes the balcony was damp one or two mornings and as far as the breeze - we prefer the aft because you can actually sit out there without things blowing away :eek: .

Lastly, there is plenty of private space :p on the aft balconies. Yes, other cruisers can see you - but only if you are at the railing. The levels do step out from the Lido deck - so the deck above you is back further than you are and the deck below you is out a little further that you are.

I'm sure there are those out there that prefer NOT to have an aft cabin - but not us! We are spoiled by the extra space, quiet location and privacy. We will book them from now on - whenever possible ;) I'd say you did the right thing...enjoy!!

We had our 1st balcony ever on Destiny in Feb. We got a wrap around balcony on the 8th deck because I liked the lay out of the balcony. I didn't have any problems with the noise. We did have some breeze there also. But I wouldn't have wanted anymore then what we had.

As far as shade. I'm not sure the balcony below use had any more shade then we did. Plus like other posters said we where one deck below where the food was.. We never use room service like I thought we would. Food was so close at hand it was just easier for us to get it.

Next time I book a cruise I plan on getting the aft and would not at all mind be on the deck 8 again. Our next cruise in Dec we have a side balcony, so I'll be able to see what that is like.

I'm sure you will enjoy you cruise.

Archived