public bus to Brimstone Hill?

ftc2010

Hi,

can anyone tell me if there is a public bus to Brimstone Hill?

We are on our first cruise this March and were thinking about visiting the Brimstone Hill by public bus.

How much does it cost? Can we pay in USD? How long does the ride take from Basseterre? How often do they ride?

I could read in other threads that there are no public busses to The Narrows - Cockleshell Beach. Is it true?

When we want to see the Brimstone Hill and the Cockleshell Beach would it be better to book a tour instead of doing it all by bus (or by taxi)?

Thanks in advance!

Sandra

There are no public buses that go to Brimstone Hill Fortress. The public buses on St Kitts travel the main island road from Basseterre to the smaller towns along the main road. They do not go to the SE Peninsula (Cockleshell,South Friars etc).

Hi,

can anyone tell me if there is a public bus to Brimstone Hill?

We are on our first cruise this March and were thinking about visiting the Brimstone Hill by public bus.

How much does it cost? Can we pay in USD? How long does the ride take from Basseterre? How often do they ride?

I could read in other threads that there are no public busses to The Narrows - Cockleshell Beach. Is it true?

When we want to see the Brimstone Hill and the Cockleshell Beach would it be better to book a tour instead of doing it all by bus (or by taxi)?

Thanks in advance!

Sandra

You can take a public bus to Brimstone Hill from the bus station which is a few minutes walk from the port. Price is about EC$3 or so, about US$2 will more than cover it.

The bus however will drop you on the main road below brimstone and you have at least a 15 min walk up a VERY steep hill to get to the fortress itself.

On your return walk down the hill and just wait by the side of the road, buses are plentiful.

There are no buses that will take you to the Frigate Bay, or the South East Peninsula where Cockleshell beach is located.

Unless you can handle the hill walk the whole thing is better done in a taxi. Either arrange a ride before you arrive on the island or negotiate a price with one of the many taxi drivers (all of whom are tour guides) which will be available when you arrive.

Have a great time in St Kitts.

Thank you Paul and mystkittsdivebuddy for answering.

Maybe it would be better to make it all by taxi. Sometimes I have problems with my knees, so the walk up and down the hill might be to much for my knees. Luckily we have some weeks to think about it.

Many thanks again.

Sandra

Thank you Paul and mystkittsdivebuddy for answering.

Maybe it would be better to make it all by taxi. Sometimes I have problems with my knees,

so the walk up and down the hill might be to much for my knees. ===> Might be,huh? :D

Trust me when I tell you that you need a taxi! :D

BHill-VIEW.jpg

It's a loooong way up there,lady! ;)

You're not walking up That Hill.

I'm not walking up That Hill, and I have no problems with my knees!

Taxis are plentiful, immediately as you exit the Port Zante complex.

They are eager for your business, so rates are reasonably negotiable.

Henry-065.jpg

Email Henry Whyte (above) -at set-up79@hotmail.com

and set up a date and time with him.

I used his capable services back in December and he's OK

but there are dozens more like him.

Most of the guys will take you to Romney Manor Batik Factory!! :)

- and then onward to Brimstone Hill , for about US$20 per person,round trip

especially if it's a group of 6 or 8 of you filling his van!

It makes a nice half-day tour and you get to see most of the island's scenic West Coast.

Admission to B.Hill is separate, at around US$8 per person, if I remember right.

OK, you are all alright I don't want to walk 2.5 mile each way. It's holiday and no sport competition. ;)

I 've started a request for a tour they were talking about in the roll call. Maybe we could join them.

Archived