Concierge Class Or Family Ocean View

pennypenny

There has been a lot written about the Family Oceanview cabins on here, so I would encourage you to use the "search" tool up on the right and read some of those, too. But, in my opinion, you are much better off with the FV. More room than the CC in the cabin, a huge balcony and a lovely aft view. Yes, the CC does have little niceties, but as you will read, most people say that they aren't really extra special (eg: advance check-in at the pier not a real advantage as it's often not that busy anyway, some benefit from tender priority but not a huge thing it seems). Of course, I will know better shortly, as we (with our children) will be in one and my in-laws will be in a CC around the corner.

I'd say order some flowers and a bottle of wine from Bon Voyage yourself and enjoy them both from your bigger cabin on your massive balcony.

Either way, you will have a great trip, I'm sure.

- Stuart

for the 2-18 cruise we switched from cc to family vie aft. we thought it was great having the larger balcony. when i explained to the room steward, the fruit showed up daily. the "champagne" is really awful so that was not missed. the steward also brought us the better quality towells. we did not miss the afternoon canapes. there is only so much one can eat. on 2 afternoons when we did want something, my trip to the sushi bar and the cova cafe solved the need. bringing it back to the cabin was no problem, and much better than the canapes they deliver. go for the larger balcony:)

You don't say which ship you're referring to, but if it's one of the C-class (Century, Galaxy, Mercury), bear in mind that these FVs have the bed pushed up against the cabin wall ... so if there will be two people occupying this bed, the one sleeping against the wall will have to climb over the other to get out....

fo3.jpg

Note that this is not the case with the M-class ships' FV aft cabins. The beds in these staterooms have access around the entire perimeter of the bed.:)

33986.jpg

Hope this helps in your decision.

Well, she kind of DID say -- she mentioned balcony. C-Class FOV cabins don't have balconies (at least on Mercury and Galaxy -- balconies may have been added on Century. I don't know for sure). I'm assuming she means an M-Class ship.

What she didn't mention was the price differential. For a similar price or even a somewhat higher price, I'd say definitely take the FV. If the price differential is exorbitant, then I'm sure you'll be happy in the CC as well.

I would say it depends where you are going. We went on the Panama Canal trip and were towards the back of the boat where the family cabins are and it was really really rough. So if you are going to be on the Panama Canal trip or maybe a transatlantic trip or a Hawaii trip, you may want to stay put in your mid ship cabin. However, if you are going to the Caribbean I would opt for the big balcony, because the seas are usually pretty calm unless it's hurricane season! IMHO I don't think you really get that much extra in the CC class cabins.

Penny,

I think the most important thing for you to consider is...would you more enjoy the little bit of extra service/pampering OR the larger cabin and balcony? Especially if you are traveling with more than 2 in your cabin, you'll probably really enjoy the extra space of a FV. It's really a matter of personal preference...the nicer linens, robe etc would be a treat, but on a long cruise, the extra space might be nice too!

Happy planning,

Lynne

Thank you all for your replies. We are sailing on board the Summit for the Panama Canal cruise out of LA.

We (2 adults) are already booked in to the midship Concierge class with balcony. Celebrity want an extra £100 per person to change to the Family aft with balcony.

The bigger room and balcony are very appealing, especiallly as we have so many days at sea compared to our last year's Caribbean cruise.

My only concerns were the 'movement and noise', and the fact that the cabin is on the very top 'cabin deck', so would we be overlooked by passengers in the public areas above.

Well, if you read what some other people have said elsewhere on here, you will see that there are some comments about noise from the Grill above the aft Deck 9 cabins. Scraping chairs etc. Also, apparently there are "windows" in the floor that mean that people sitting on the Grill outised floor can look down into some of the balconies. There are pictures of these round "floor windows" online somehere, and I am not sure that this would be a problem for your specific cabin or situation. Also, as was stated below, there does tend to be more of a feeling of motion at the stern vs. midships.

But, I still think that the extra space and much bigger balcony are very, very appealing - for GBP 100 more over a 14 day cruise. A lot of people say that for the Canal Transit, the stern is a wonderful place to be.

In any event, you will have a great time.

- Stuart

GRAB THAT FV IF YOU STILL CAN. For £100 pp over a 14-day Panama Canal trip, it is totally worth it!

Enjoy!!!

You are absolutely right on!!! We have done FVs on the Constellation and Summit and they are far superior!!! Great balconies and interior room space. Two TVs, extra power jacks, more tables and chairs, two couches...Slip the room attendant a $20 and ask for extra bed padding, etc and you will be so very happy!!!! Worth the extra money!!!!

You are absolutely right on!!! We have done FVs on the Constellation and Summit and they are far superior!!! Great balconies and interior room space. Two TVs, extra power jacks, more tables and chairs, two couches...Slip the room attendant a $20 and ask for extra bed padding, etc and you will be so very happy!!!! Worth the extra money!!!!

More closet space, too. Right?

Absolutely!!! Plus, depending on the FV you get, there is the hallway storage space!!!

I forgot to also mention there is no need to go to an upper deck to get the view from the "other side". You get it all!!!

I've had the corner FV, and I've never understood the idea of hallway storage space. That hall is narrow, and anything you left there, you'd have to climb over/around every time you came into or left the cabin. Also, the steward always left that outer door open while she cleaned, so anything in the hall could EASILY be taken without her even knowing it, especially while she is in the bathroom, the living room area or out on the balcony...

Archived