Cuban Cigars in Georgetown?

hmk012

Do they sell Cuban Cigars in Georgetown, Grand Cayman? We are getting married on a cruise and the 1st stop is in Grand Cayman. During our 2nd stop we are getting married. We really want Cubans for the male wedding guests and didn't know if we could get them and bring them back on the ship to give out the following day.

You can certainly purchase genuine Cuban cigars in George Town.

You might want to checks out Churchhill's Cigars (in the Island Plaza -same complex as Margaritaville) or Havana House (Fort Street across from Señor Frogs).

Do they sell Cuban Cigars in Georgetown, Grand Cayman? We are getting married on a cruise and the 1st stop is in Grand Cayman. During our 2nd stop we are getting married. We really want Cubans for the male wedding guests and didn't know if we could get them and bring them back on the ship to give out the following day.

Yes there are plenty of places to get the Cuban Cigars. They are not cheap, plan to spend $200 and up for a box of 25. As far as bringing them back on the boat, that too is no problem.

Now if you want to bring them back into the USA, that is another story (not allowed at all, as far as US Customs). Here is what I do. I ask the cigar store to keep the box, and take the labels off and put local labels on (if they have them, if not then no labels is OK) then I ask them to reseal them in a bag with a local hand rolled cigar label. I keep the real Cuban labels in a small envelope, in a separate suitcase, and reapply them after I get home. I have done this on every one of my seven cruises, and I have never been asked anything by US Customs.

Try the La Casa Del Habano, located just off of the dock area. As others have said, real Cuban cigars are VERY pricey. The manager is Wallace(pictured below), he will be glad to help you decide on what type of cigar you may need.

2392933830041895530S425x425Q85.jpg

Try the La Casa Del Habano, located just off of the dock area. As others have said, real Cuban cigars are VERY pricey. The manager is Wallace(pictured below), he will be glad to help you decide on what type of cigar you may need.

2392933830041895530S425x425Q85.jpg

Unless you really know what you are looking at and can spot a fake, I'd stick with a La Casa Del Habano store. You have nothing to worry about at one of their stores. That's not to say that the other stores in the area aren't legit, but you are sure to be safe there.

• 1 year later...

Anyone know the current prices of a box at of cubans at La Casa del Habano stores?

Edit: I've been doing research and it appears 99.99% of cuban cigar that claim to be made by the cuban government or "Habanos" are not. But the fakes may ideed be made in cuba by cubans; just not the same quality.

Anyone know the current prices of a box at of cubans at La Casa del Habano stores?

I've been smoking cigars for many years. The Cubans were once very good cigars, but since smoking a cigar has become vogue, they have been over produced. They no longer have the quality the once did, unless you plan to buy the very limited runs. I find the Cubans to be overpriced average cigars.

I now smoke only Nicaraguan, or Dominican cigars. Many of the exiled Cuban tobacco growers went to these two countries, and opened shop. The cigars they produce are every bit as good as the Cuban cigars of many years ago, and the prices are much better. You also don't have to worry about having them confiscated by customs when you get back to the states.

If all you are looking for is the stigma of smoking a Cuban, then you will pay a heavy price for it. If you want a great quality smoke, then Nicaraguan, or Dominican cigars are the way to go.

Padron, Onyx, Rockey Patel, and CAO are some of my favorites.

Just my 2 cents.

I've been smoking cigars for many years. The Cubans were once very good cigars, but since smoking a cigar has become vogue, they have been over produced. They no longer have the quality the once did, unless you plan to buy the very limited runs. I find the Cubans to be overpriced average cigars.

I now smoke only Nicaraguan, or Dominican cigars. Many of the exiled Cuban tobacco growers went to these two countries, and opened shop. The cigars they produce are every bit as good as the Cuban cigars of many years ago, and the prices are much better. You also don't have to worry about having them confiscated by customs when you get back to the states.

If all you are looking for is the stigma of smoking a Cuban, then you will pay a heavy price for it. If you want a great quality smoke, then Nicaraguan, or Dominican cigars are the way to go.

Padron, Onyx, Rockey Patel, and CAO are some of my favorites.

Just my 2 cents.

Great info, thanks! I assume you can have them just shipped to the US, but are they generally cheaper in the GC?

Great info, thanks! I assume you can have them just shipped to the US, but are they generally cheaper in the GC?

Most of the cigar shops in the Caribbean will ship them for you. If you will be buying anything except Cuban cigars, you can just carry then back they are not banned.

If you want Cubans then you may want to ship them. I have carried cubans back without any problem many times. But there is a chance that customs may search your luggage and if they find them they will confiscate them. So it's all up to this, Are you a gambler? And how much are you willing to loose?

As far as price I do find the non-cubans to be less expensive since there is no tax on them. I also find that negotiating the price on non-cubans is much easier. Since everyone wants cubans. One last thought GC has the most expensive cigars in the Caribbean, if you are going to other ports I would buy them there. Mexico, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas all sell them at prices lower then GC.

Hope this helps

Bob

Archived