Question regarding Solstice cruise

bri79

This will be my first time cruising, will be on the Solstice in July to Grand Cayman/Cozumel/Costa Maya/Roatan. Here were some of my questions:

-Do they have karaoke on this ship? if so, do they have a good song selection?

-if i bring my laptop, what are the charges for internet use?

-how long is the morning stretch classes? any opinions?

-is the gym well equiped? is it hard getting a machine (usually treadmill)?

-we will most likely do each port on our own, find a beach, swim, snorkle, etc. maybe some local shopping...what are the great 'finds'?

They don't have karoke every night---on our cruise it was only one evening.

Wifi is charged the same as using the ship's computers. The per minute charge is $.65, but you can purchase a package of minutes for a set price. The price varies by how many minutes you purchase---the more minutes the cheaper per minute charge.

The stretch classes are about 30 minutes long.

I think the gym is very nice with a variety of equipment. How crowded it is depends on time of day, with early morning the most busy.

Was impressed with gym. Very new equipment; treadmills had their own TV screens. Lots of eliiptical machines and a variety of other weight machines. Just be aware that weights are in kilos not pounds, so don't be alarmed when you can't do your usual weight!! 2 critical observations from Equinox gym, however. Felt it was odd that the outdoor furniture was in the gym so people could lounge there and watch you work out. Also was difficult to find a staff person if you needed help (like figuring out why the weights were so heavy:)) Overall, a very nice fitness center; I plan on visiting on all sea days at the very least. got to work off some of the cruise pounds!

Karaoke was twice on Solstice Western last week, up in the Observation lounge i think. I know for sure it was on the last night, but I can't remember the other... tuesday maybe?? Song selection was decent, but the first night was not very well attended, and it was a lot of the same people singing. It was NOT like a party vibe.

We found the best shopping in Roatan. If you can make your way to the West End via an independent tour operator, there is a gallery there called Waves of Art where we found some great stuff we didn't see elsewhere. You can shop on the main street in the port for all the usual stuff: wooden bowls, carved stuff, etc etc, but this place had some really different, nicer items, for good prices as well.

I will going on the Solstice in June, and will post a review when we get back. I am part of a dive group and will be visiting the same ports of call. Though I can't help you now, you may want to stop by our group forum at Cruise Critic. Though we have a lot of dive related stuff there, we also have quite a bit of information pertaining to the ship and the ports of call. Our group consists of both divers and non-divers, so you may find a lot of what's posted there to be very helpful, including the best places to go snorkeling.

Good luck.

Archived