stupid question about birth cert.

I know you need 2 forms of id, license and birth certificate (or passport) for cruising, but my birth certificate has my maiden name on it. It doesn't have my married name on it anywhere. Is this ok? What good is it, if the names on my license and bc don't match?

I hope this is ok, cause I leave on Sunday. Just reassure me please.

Thanks!

Deb

Ideally you will need to have a BC that matches the name on your license. Although many posters on this board have indicated that this has not been enforced, it is the cruiseline's (and airlines') regulations. If your BC has your maiden name, you will need to carry a copy of your marriage license with you. Keep in mind that both the BC and marriage license should have raised seals and must either be originals or official copies.

As always, it is suggested that all cruisers carry a passport if at all possible. It is not only the safer way to travel, its also much quicker to clear immigration as all the officer needs to do is scan the passport.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any additional questions.

Prior to getting my passport, I always carried my marriage certificate along with my birth certificate when I cruised. I was never asked to show my marraige cert, but I felt better to be safe than sorry!

HTH

A~

it is the cruiseline's (and airlines') regulations. If your BC has your maiden name, you will need to carry a copy of your marriage license with you.

This is not true, at least with Royal Caribbean -- if you can cite a specific source for your assertion, please do, but RCCL's own web site makes no mention of marriage certificate. It says:

"Domestic Sailing Requirements:

U.S. Citizens: . . . In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original, notarized copy or certified copy), plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state or local government agency is required. A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not considered to be proof of citizenship. Children under 16 years of age do not require a picture ID. Visas are not required for U.S. citizens."

Note - a birth certificate (official version) and a picture ID card issued by fed, state, or local govt. No mention of marriage cert.

Now . . . I agree that it could be a question mark, and I suggest taking additional docs whenever there is a question, so I would suggest having a copy of your marriage license when your BC and photo ID names don't match, but it is NOT a requirement.

And to the OP, just as FitzLA said -- it is certainly NOT a stupid question!

Ideally you will need to have a BC that matches the name on your license. Although many posters on this board have indicated that this has not been enforced, it is the cruiseline's regulations.
Show us. It's not enforced because it's not required. Marraige license is not needed with RCL.

While RCCL's website may lack the detail it should, I am very positive about international travel requirements. My professional background includes several years as an international operations supervisor for two major airlines and as a cruise industry trainer. It is the cruiseline's reponsibility to verify that all their passengers are properly documented as failures to do so can result in severe fines. This means that last names should match and, if they don't, other supporting documentation is required.

I cannot tell you how many times I have stranded folks in airports who have not had their documentation in order. From the airline/cruiseline perspective, it is solely the repsonsiblity of the traveler to have his documents in order. Not theirs, and not the travel agent's. Also, most travel companies will not provide any accomodation should passengers show up at the pier or airport with invalid docs.

When it's all said and done, it's my belief that you most travelers want to try to have all their ducks in a row prior to leaving. So take the extra time and dig out the Marriage License--you won't be sorry you did.

From the RCCL Cruise Ticket Contract:

9. All Passports, visas and other travel documents required for embarkation and disembarkation and at all ports of call are the responsibility of Passenger.

As RCCL is subject to the rules and regulations of the federal government, here is the information from the US Dept of State Website regarding international travel:

Even if you are not required to have a passport to visit a foreign country, U.S. Immigration requires you to prove your U.S. citizenship and identity to reenter the United States. Make certain that you take with you adequate documentation to pass through U.S. Immigration upon your return. A U.S. passport is the best proof of U.S. citizenship. Other documents to prove U.S. citizenship include an expired U.S. passport, a certified copy of your U.S. birth certificate, a Certificate of Naturalization, a Certificate of Citizenship, or a Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States. To prove your identity, either a valid driver's license or a government identification card that includes a photo or a physical description is adequate.

I know you need 2 forms of id, license and birth certificate (or passport) for cruising, but my birth certificate has my maiden name on it. It doesn't have my married name on it anywhere. Is this ok? What good is it, if the names on my license and bc don't match?

I hope this is ok, cause I leave on Sunday. Just reassure me please.

Thanks!

Deb

When you Return ,the Problem will be solved because everyone will have to have a Passport Starting Jan. 1st. 2007!;) And No it wasnt a stupid question;) Get your application started as soon as possible for a Passport it takes between 6 to 8 Weeks!;) Me and my DW used to Take Our Marriage License but were never asked for it ON 7 Cruises so we stopped taking it If our DL and Birth Certificate wasnt enough then We didnt need to go!:D You will be ok with your DL and BC! They understand when you are born your not Married!:D

From the RCCL Cruise Ticket Contract:

9. All Passports, visas and other travel documents required for embarkation and disembarkation and at all ports of call are the responsibility of Passenger.

As RCCL is subject to the rules and regulations of the federal government, here is the information from the US Dept of State Website regarding international travel:

Even if you are not required to have a passport to visit a foreign country, U.S. Immigration requires you to prove your U.S. citizenship and identity to reenter the United States. Make certain that you take with you adequate documentation to pass through U.S. Immigration upon your return. A U.S. passport is the best proof of U.S. citizenship. Other documents to prove U.S. citizenship include an expired U.S. passport, a certified copy of your U.S. birth certificate, a Certificate of Naturalization, a Certificate of Citizenship, or a Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States. To prove your identity, either a valid driver's license or a government identification card that includes a photo or a physical description is adequate.

I'm not sure what your post is meant to prove, as it does not mention a marriage certificate anywhere in the State Department reference YOU cite.

Here is the answer to the question direct from the Customs & Border Protection website....

"If you are traveling with your birth certificate to establish citizenship and your name has legally changed since your birth, then you will need to present evidence of your legal name change. If the cause of the name change is marriage, then you will need to provide a copy of your marriage license to document your name change. If there have been multiple name changes, then you will need to present evidence showing the trail of name changes, including divorce decrees, previous marriage licenses, etc.

If your name change is a result of other activities, such as adoption or court authorized name change, then you will need to present legal documents that identify you by both your birth name and new name.

You might want to consider getting a passport, which would eliminate the need to travel with all this paperwork. "

Wow, ok, I'm a little more confused now then I was when I first posted. I guess my DL and bc should be enough. Are there any women out there who've been asked to show their marriage license?

Maybe I should get it(order it, since I don't know where it is right now) before Friday? Is that possible?

Ugh,

Deb

Deb,

All they ask for is your DL and BC. I asked at the immigration office here and they said you need proof you were born as a US citizen (BC) and proof with photo that you live in the US - State ID Card (DL). I always took my (ML) just in case and never needed it. It makes it easier if you are travelig with your husband and his name is on his DL :) Just remember people who go on honeymoons do not have their name changed on any documentation yet and they never have any problems. JMHO

I was told that I may not be asked to show it but I should indeed carry my marriage liscence because if I didn't have proof of the name change I could be prevented from boarding. All documents require official seal!! On RCI own website it has a disclaimer somewhere that I saw that said it was the cruisers responsibility to ensure they have all required documentation. So I as a woman will carry 3 forms of ID. Hope this helps.

Jamie

Wow, ok, I'm a little more confused now then I was when I first posted. I guess my DL and bc should be enough. Are there any women out there who've been asked to show their marriage license?

Maybe I should get it(order it, since I don't know where it is right now) before Friday? Is that possible?

Ugh,

Deb

I don't know if they ask for it or not but if you live in the same city that you were married in you should be able to go to city hall or wherever they keep those records and get it right away.

KreiderCarter

Thanks for the link and the info. Its nice to have the information presented that consicely.

Rgnok,

While it is certainly not my intention to offend anyone in any way, it is "misinformation" as stated on these and other boards that can sometimes lead to problems when on vacation. My post was intended to let the OP know that the government websites do clearly outline the correct requirments.AND to show that RCCL does indicate on it's website that the passengers are responsible for their own documentation.

DEB,

It may be possible to get an expedited marriage certificate from the state you were wed in. Go to that state's website and call the appropriate department. You have all week so I think it's still possible.

Good Luck!

I might be missing something here but a birth certificate will NEVER have your married name on it... it is the certificate issued to certify your birth and your birth name given and the name(s) of the parents.. A birth certifcate never changes except by adoption or if you change your first name (as some people do by a court order). When you get married you change your drivers license and social security card, and a bunch of other things, but a birth certifcate is NOT one of the things you change.

The birth certificate will always show maiden names for married ladies... (unless different due to above reasons)

They do match up the date of birth with the DL, and the only thing that has to be a match is your drivers license and your boarding pass are a match.

Where this is a problem is when someone has a DL that is in their maiden name, they get married and have not changed the DL to the marrried name, and in turn book a cruise in their married name. In that case the reservation and the DL does not match. THAT is when you need the marriage license. I was asked for mine on the Mariner for our honeymoon cruise because the reservation was booked several months in advance in my maiden name, and we went on the honeymoon right after the wedding, therefore not possible to get a new DL license that fast. I did have to show validation of my new name because reservation and drivers license were not a match. Bring the marriage license.. you might not need it, but in my case I CERTAINLY DID need it...

Happy cruising..

In the future - you should be able to order a replacement birth certificate with your married name on it from the state you were born in.

Tory, you really shouldn't post something you do not know. You cannot change your birth certificate with your married name.

To the OP, when my daughter went to Jamaica last month, she needed her drivers license, birth certificate and marriage certificate to prove her name change. I am trying to convince her to get a passport, it is so much easier.

Wow, Are there any women out there who've been asked to show their marriage license?

Ugh,

Deb

Yes.. I had to. see post 22

You can go to the county court house if you are in the same state you were married and get a copy. If it is out of state, then you would have to have it expedited... I read many times that most take the marriage certifcate and never need it.. I was glad I did, because I needed it.

You will be absolutely fine without a marriage certificate as long as your reservation name matches your drivers license and you have a certified BC. If the name you booked your reservation in is different from your DL, then you will most likely need the marriage certificate.

Hope that helps

Happy cruising!

Going on cruise #5 in August I am Married and have NEVER taken my marriage license, and have never been asked to show it. All I have ever taken is DL an Birth Cert.;) Never had any problems. :rolleyes: But I will be getting a pass port when we return, only because I have too.

Archived