Carnival Destiny Wedding Review 7/3/2010

Port: Miami, Florida

Ceremony Venue: The Palladium (show lounge)

Reception Venue: The Criterion Lounge

Sailing guests: 63

Non-sailing: 21

Musical Entertainment: The Super AMAZING Piano Man

My journey down the aisle began at 5:00 a.m. on July 3, 2010. After my alarm went off I laced up my running shoes and went on a short jog around my neighborhood. Jogging is one of the ways I distress and I wanted to be as relaxed as possible.

After my run I took a quick shower, grabbed my hair decorations, and drove to my friend’s salon, Femme Fatal in Plantation, Florida. By 6:30 a.m. I was getting my nails shellacked in light pink hue- highly recommend shellack, as it has been over a week since the wedding and my nails are still chip-free. My friend, Alicia, did my hair and attached some starfish and seashell hairpins that I bought on etsy.com.

Alicia really liked the way she did my hair and took a gazillion photos of the hairdo. I delayed myself further by chatting-it-up with the nail tech, who is also a close friend. As a result, I left the salon 15 minutes later than I should have.

I scooped my parents up from their house and then met most of the bridal party at my home. We used SuperShuttle and they were prompt and professional. We had to leave without one of the groomsmen because he was running 30 minutes behind schedule. Tim, the groomsman, is more high maintenance than any woman I have ever met and is perpetually runs an hour behind schedule. Looking back, I should have told him to be there an hour before I really needed him. He got a friend to drop him off at the port in time for the wedding so it was not a major catastrophe.

We checked our luggage as soon as we arrived at the port. The people at security saw that we had more than the allowed allotment of wine in our carry on, but they let us go through because I was getting married on the ship. I think the phrase they used was “They are part of the wedding party. They can do whatever they want.” This is one of the many times that wearing a veil led to special treatment.

Moving on…after security we went up stairs to check in and met with the three wedding coordinators. We went over the wedding details and I gave them my decorations (unity candle, isle runner, flower girl basket, ring pillow, guestbook, etc.) They were through and made sure that they had everything exactly how I wanted it.

The wedding coordinator assigned to me brought me snacks and lemonade and did everything in her power to ensure that I was comfortable. I feel terrible that I cannot remember any of their names. :( They then whisked me into the VIP section so that Michael and I would not see one another- he got to the port via mother.

The wedding coordinators took me through the show lounge and Criterion Lounge so I could see the the ceremony and reception venue. The TWE went above and beyond with their service. They will be receiving a thank you card from me.

I had more than enough time to get dressed and have my makeup done. My aunt was able to do the makeup of my two bridesmaids with plenty of time to spare.

The videographer came to our room and interviewed me. My relatives got a little teary during my answers and that is when my nerves kicked in. The videographer, Federico, was great. He got some shots that I wish the photographer would have captured, specifically the buffet and the favor table.

After being in the suite for an hour, or so, the wedding coordinator came in and collected the bridal party. Thank god my aunt stayed behind to keep me company. The wedding photographer then came in and snapped a few shots.

Attorneybride2010 and I had similar problems with the photographer. I think my photographer was named Vinod, though. He was somewhat bossy and we had a few communication problems. In the end, I was appreciative of the shots he took.

Ten minutes later I was at the front of the Palladium walking down the aisle to “Here Comes the Bride.”

My ceremony was performed by a relative on my husband’s side. This was beneficial to us since he was able to do the ceremony in both English and Spanish. He added some stuff on his own and it sort of threw me for a loop. I really appreciated his added details and feel honored that he agreed to marry us.

We took a few photos in the Palladium before heading to the reception. I was a little late to my reception because my bustle was mind boggling to my bridesmaids. We did practice tying it up prior to the wedding, but maybe we should have practiced a few more times. :D The benefit of this debacle was that the photographer snapped some cute shots of my husband helping with the bustle.

Although the reception went by fast, it was better than I had expected. The toasts our brothers gave us were funny and heartwarming, the food was top notch, the venue looked spectacular, and I had enough time to mingle with all of my 80+ guests.

The piano man, Larry, was able to accommodate all of my bizarre requests. Our song is “You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling,” and if you let your mind drift back to the bar scene from “Top Gun” I am sure you can figure out why. The piano man also thanked me for asking him to play Beyonce’s “All the Single Ladies.” He said it was one of his favorite things to play.

Needless to say, we became best friends with Larry and parked ourselves at The Piano Bar often during our 5 day cruise.

Oh, and for those of you who like to drink,…feel free to request ANYTHING! The servers were walking around with premixed drinks, but a lot of my friends ordered beer, martini’s, gin and tonic’s, and champagne. I was surprised that so many of my guests got tipsy after only one hour.

Again, TWE experience went above and beyond with my comfort. My gin and tonic was always full, they made sure I had a plate of food, and they politely moved the reception along.

Once our non-sailing guests left the boat we did a few shots inside of the ship. I wish the photographer had kept us from the muster drill, but unfortunately we had to endure the humid heat while the crew told us how to put on a life vest.

The heat and humidity left me with a shinny forehead. I wish someone would have told me this because the photos that were taken after the muster drill were not very flattering. My face is comparable to a teenager who is about to have an acne breakout. The term oil spill came to mind when I looked at those shots.

Vinod also took us to the top deck to take pictures. Random people stopped to take pictures of us and one lady asked to take a picture of my bouquet. Vinod kicked some special needs children off of the golf course so we could take some shots. I made sure that I apologized to their parents because I felt terrible about dominating put-put land.

We were able to view the pictures while we were at sea. I liked the way the majority of the photos turned out, but the packages prices are ridiculous. My mother-in-law, who is a great haggler, could not even get them to cut us a better deal. It’s upsetting that the photos were overpriced, but I guess that is to be expected.

What I learned:

1.Yes, you can have a spectacular and memorable wedding in 180 minutes

2.Yes, you can order whatever you want from the bar

3.Yes, you can bring your own candles (at least in Port of Miami)

4.Yes, your day will be amazing regardless of how much, or how little, you prep

Well, I think I have written more than enough about my experience. Feel free to ask questions.

Here is a link to the photos that Vinod took

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=4402031009/a=56476246_56476246/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

These are the shots that my best friend took. They highlight the drive there, the holding area where the bride finalizes the wedding details, us getting ready in my room, and a few candid shots.

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=4414273009/a=56476246_56476246/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Mundane shots I took of the room, the ports, and the towel creatures:

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=4415865009/a=56476246_56476246/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Bon Voyage!

Thanks for the review! Your pictures are beautiful! I love your bouquet and your flower girl's dress!

Were the prices different from the list of packages Carnival sent you when you booked? It sounded like you were surprised by the price of the pictures.

No, the prices were the same. I just assumed that I would be able to purchase a photo CD of all the shots taken. A lot of wedding photographers in South Florida allow you to do that.

I also wanted the pictures that my in-laws and family purchased to be put on the photo CD that came with the package I purchased, but they said this was not allowed. I just felt like I over payed.

So nice to see your review! Loved the pics! Your wedding looked so beautiful! Gorgeous gown! As I said in a prior thread I loved the uniqueness of the items you choose! The bouquet, boutonniere and the hair pins all looked so good and fit in well! I didn't see pics of your bridesmaid bouquets. Did you hear any remarks from your guests about them?

So nice to see your review! Loved the pics! Your wedding looked so beautiful! Gorgeous gown! As I said in a prior thread I loved the uniqueness of the items you choose! The bouquet, boutonniere and the hair pins all looked so good and fit in well! I didn't see pics of your bridesmaid bouquets. Did you hear any remarks from your guests about them?

Thanks a bunch.

My bridesmaids carried pomanders. I wish the photo guy had gotten a shot of them. Here is a link to the ones I bought.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/44595319/starfish-kissing-ballpomander

My guests liked the decorations. The grooms men made fun of the boutonniere's, but I think they secretly liked them. Micheal's wedding coordinator, who was a man, asked if he could keep one of the extra boutonnieres.

Awww I just looked at your pics then read the review and I love the ones on the top of the ship, they are like mine but better! Too bad you had problems with your photog, I loved mine and wish he stayed with the ship so I could have reassured the future destiny brides. Congrats, I loved your starfish :)

Your pictures were beautiful I wouldn't be self conscious about your face looking oily you looked fantastic :) I loved your hair!!

Not that I think you need to do this but if you are worried about your face, you can print a release form online to duplicate the photos and have someone do a lil photoshop work on them and then take them to a walmart and reprint them (I was shocked how cheap it was for me to make 4 sets of all my photos at walmart and they came out great!)

Also there are some software's that you can get (might have to use a trial version since it would probably only be a one time use. No need to spend money on it) to take still pictures out of the video. Or you can do a screen print (depending on the computer a screen print can turn out very nice) and paste it in a photo program and then print them.

All that aside again I think you both looked so great and happy, best of luck to you.

I am sure your review will help some future brides.

Monica

Not that I think you need to do this but if you are worried about your face, you can print a release form online to duplicate the photos and have someone do a lil photoshop work on them and then take them to a walmart and reprint them (I was shocked how cheap it was for me to make 4 sets of all my photos at walmart and they came out great!)

Also there are some software's that you can get (might have to use a trial version since it would probably only be a one time use. No need to spend money on it) to take still pictures out of the video. Or you can do a screen print (depending on the computer a screen print can turn out very nice) and paste it in a photo program and then print them.

Monica

Yup. I have all of the photos that I bought on a CD and I was thinking about trying to tweak them with Photoshop. I don't know when I'll get around to this though because I'm moving to South Africa on Wednesday.

Awww I just looked at your pics then read the review and I love the ones on the top of the ship, they are like mine but better! Too bad you had problems with your photog, I loved mine and wish he stayed with the ship so I could have reassured the future destiny brides. Congrats, I loved your starfish :)

He really wasn't that bad. lol He was just a little bossy during the photo shoot. Which was probably a good thing since the photos came out well.

Yup. I have all of the photos that I bought on a CD and I was thinking about trying to tweak them with Photoshop. I don't know when I'll get around to this though because I'm moving to South Africa on Wednesday.

Wow, what a new beginning. A new marriage and a new move to South Africa. May God bless you in your journeys.

Port: Miami, Florida

Ceremony Venue: The Palladium (show lounge)

Reception Venue: The Criterion Lounge

Sailing guests: 63

Non-sailing: 21

Musical Entertainment: The Super AMAZING Piano Man

My journey down the aisle began at 5:00 a.m. on July 3, 2010. After my alarm went off I laced up my running shoes and went on a short jog around my neighborhood. Jogging is one of the ways I distress and I wanted to be as relaxed as possible.

After my run I took a quick shower, grabbed my hair decorations, and drove to my friend’s salon, Femme Fatal in Plantation, Florida. By 6:30 a.m. I was getting my nails shellacked in light pink hue- highly recommend shellack, as it has been over a week since the wedding and my nails are still chip-free. My friend, Alicia, did my hair and attached some starfish and seashell hairpins that I bought on etsy.com.

Alicia really liked the way she did my hair and took a gazillion photos of the hairdo. I delayed myself further by chatting-it-up with the nail tech, who is also a close friend. As a result, I left the salon 15 minutes later than I should have.

I scooped my parents up from their house and then met most of the bridal party at my home. We used SuperShuttle and they were prompt and professional. We had to leave without one of the groomsmen because he was running 30 minutes behind schedule. Tim, the groomsman, is more high maintenance than any woman I have ever met and is perpetually runs an hour behind schedule. Looking back, I should have told him to be there an hour before I really needed him. He got a friend to drop him off at the port in time for the wedding so it was not a major catastrophe.

We checked our luggage as soon as we arrived at the port. The people at security saw that we had more than the allowed allotment of wine in our carry on, but they let us go through because I was getting married on the ship. I think the phrase they used was “They are part of the wedding party. They can do whatever they want.” This is one of the many times that wearing a veil led to special treatment.

Moving on…after security we went up stairs to check in and met with the three wedding coordinators. We went over the wedding details and I gave them my decorations (unity candle, isle runner, flower girl basket, ring pillow, guestbook, etc.) They were through and made sure that they had everything exactly how I wanted it.

The wedding coordinator assigned to me brought me snacks and lemonade and did everything in her power to ensure that I was comfortable. I feel terrible that I cannot remember any of their names. :( They then whisked me into the VIP section so that Michael and I would not see one another- he got to the port via mother.

The wedding coordinators took me through the show lounge and Criterion Lounge so I could see the the ceremony and reception venue. The TWE went above and beyond with their service. They will be receiving a thank you card from me.

I had more than enough time to get dressed and have my makeup done. My aunt was able to do the makeup of my two bridesmaids with plenty of time to spare.

The videographer came to our room and interviewed me. My relatives got a little teary during my answers and that is when my nerves kicked in. The videographer, Federico, was great. He got some shots that I wish the photographer would have captured, specifically the buffet and the favor table.

After being in the suite for an hour, or so, the wedding coordinator came in and collected the bridal party. Thank god my aunt stayed behind to keep me company. The wedding photographer then came in and snapped a few shots.

Attorneybride2010 and I had similar problems with the photographer. I think my photographer was named Vinod, though. He was somewhat bossy and we had a few communication problems. In the end, I was appreciative of the shots he took.

Ten minutes later I was at the front of the Palladium walking down the aisle to “Here Comes the Bride.”

My ceremony was performed by a relative on my husband’s side. This was beneficial to us since he was able to do the ceremony in both English and Spanish. He added some stuff on his own and it sort of threw me for a loop. I really appreciated his added details and feel honored that he agreed to marry us.

We took a few photos in the Palladium before heading to the reception. I was a little late to my reception because my bustle was mind boggling to my bridesmaids. We did practice tying it up prior to the wedding, but maybe we should have practiced a few more times. :D The benefit of this debacle was that the photographer snapped some cute shots of my husband helping with the bustle.

Although the reception went by fast, it was better than I had expected. The toasts our brothers gave us were funny and heartwarming, the food was top notch, the venue looked spectacular, and I had enough time to mingle with all of my 80+ guests.

The piano man, Larry, was able to accommodate all of my bizarre requests. Our song is “You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling,” and if you let your mind drift back to the bar scene from “Top Gun” I am sure you can figure out why. The piano man also thanked me for asking him to play Beyonce’s “All the Single Ladies.” He said it was one of his favorite things to play.

Needless to say, we became best friends with Larry and parked ourselves at The Piano Bar often during our 5 day cruise.

Oh, and for those of you who like to drink,…feel free to request ANYTHING! The servers were walking around with premixed drinks, but a lot of my friends ordered beer, martini’s, gin and tonic’s, and champagne. I was surprised that so many of my guests got tipsy after only one hour.

Again, TWE experience went above and beyond with my comfort. My gin and tonic was always full, they made sure I had a plate of food, and they politely moved the reception along.

Once our non-sailing guests left the boat we did a few shots inside of the ship. I wish the photographer had kept us from the muster drill, but unfortunately we had to endure the humid heat while the crew told us how to put on a life vest.

The heat and humidity left me with a shinny forehead. I wish someone would have told me this because the photos that were taken after the muster drill were not very flattering. My face is comparable to a teenager who is about to have an acne breakout. The term oil spill came to mind when I looked at those shots.

Vinod also took us to the top deck to take pictures. Random people stopped to take pictures of us and one lady asked to take a picture of my bouquet. Vinod kicked some special needs children off of the golf course so we could take some shots. I made sure that I apologized to their parents because I felt terrible about dominating put-put land.

We were able to view the pictures while we were at sea. I liked the way the majority of the photos turned out, but the packages prices are ridiculous. My mother-in-law, who is a great haggler, could not even get them to cut us a better deal. It’s upsetting that the photos were overpriced, but I guess that is to be expected.

What I learned:

1.Yes, you can have a spectacular and memorable wedding in 180 minutes

2.Yes, you can order whatever you want from the bar

3.Yes, you can bring your own candles (at least in Port of Miami)

4.Yes, your day will be amazing regardless of how much, or how little, you prep

Well, I think I have written more than enough about my experience. Feel free to ask questions.

Here is a link to the photos that Vinod took

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=4402031009/a=56476246_56476246/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

These are the shots that my best friend took. They highlight the drive there, the holding area where the bride finalizes the wedding details, us getting ready in my room, and a few candid shots.

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=4414273009/a=56476246_56476246/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Mundane shots I took of the room, the ports, and the towel creatures:

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=4415865009/a=56476246_56476246/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Bon Voyage!

Congratulations on your marriage. Wishing you a lifetime of love and happiness. Your photos are beautiful, as are you!

Best of luck in your new adventure in South Africa! Please post here after you settle in and post pictures....

Happy Life!

thanks for the great review. I am getting married in 15 days via Carnival on Grand Cayman...and your pictures give me some hope about the photographer... I just have to pray for a great one... :) Your photos are gorgeous and I wish you the best!

Congratulations!! It sounds like your wedding was a blast!! Your pictures are really beautiful and made me wish I was able to get some outside! I LOVE your dress and bouquet, they are gorgeous!! Also, I love the pics of your rubber duckies in various places, too funny! I wish you and your new hubby a long and happy marriage!

Did you get to choose your own food for the reception? Did you have to pay extra for any modifications? The two menus we received had food like cavier. None of my guests eat cavier. HELP???

I liked the food that was on the predetermined menu, so I did not even think about asking them to change anything. You could call TWE to see if they will make some alterations for you.

Maybe you could tell them that the groom is allergic to caviar? I think they would make an accommodation in that case. lol

Congratulations!! It sounds like your wedding was a blast!! Your pictures are really beautiful and made me wish I was able to get some outside! I LOVE your dress and bouquet, they are gorgeous!! Also, I love the pics of your rubber duckies in various places, too funny! I wish you and your new hubby a long and happy marriage!

Thanks and a happy and long marriage to you too!

Archived