Hull balcony "explained"

cs

I noticed a few people on these boards, myself included, didn’t quite understand the concept of the hull balcony. I’ve borrowed some photos from webshots that “show” what words can’t explain. Hope this helps…..

Hull balcony

http://image05.webshots.com/5/4/46/23/189444623ALHUop_fs.jpg

Hull balcony 2nd row below lifeboats (from outside of ship)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/181984334gEubgq

Amount of light from hull balcony

http://community.webshots.com/photo/143972700XCYBDC

B4 hull balcony

http://community.webshots.com/photo/114822011HgqVBt

The rooms are the same but the deluxe balcony has a transparent railing permitting more light in the rooms and a view of the ocean from inside the room. The premium balconies (except for B6) are in hull and it is necessary to stand on the balcony for a view to the outside. The B6 balconies were originally classified as being deluxe B3s but they are obstructed by lifeboats to varying degrees.

The odd thing is that the rooms having deluxe balconies have less total area because the "glass balconies" are set back a little from the side of the ship The hull balconies are larger since they extend (naturally) to the side of the ship.

I think you will find that both staterooms and balconies above deck 7 are set back quite a way from the side of the hull, but the areas are about the same as the staterooms below deck 7.

A good view of a hull balcony can be seen here from my QM2 maiden voyage album.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/116963524/117254110daYnlT

Can't wait to do a transatlantic in September. We've booked a C2 which has the equivalent area of a balcony cabin combined with a balcony !!!

I was on January 15th Caribbean and had a hull balcony - 5076 - loved it! I'm not sure if it would matter for a crossing, but on a cruise w/ ports, I would have to have it. Loved leaving the door open and hearing the water, getting the fresh air - and the light let into the room vs. the porthole type window was really nice.

I know many of the Deck 8 Balconies are obstructed by lifeboats - but Cunard yesterday told me they were also 'in-hull' - not that I'm particularly worried about seeing more of 'my' lifeboat from my cabin, be it sitting or standing....but I thought Deck 8 & up had the glass bulkhead, rather than a steel one?

Peter

Thanks Ken, I thought so!

I am finally following in the footsteps (or should that be wake?) of most on this board and am crossing (I think that sounds a bit more refined than 'doing a tranny' that seems to be slipping into usage) in April, Westbound of course!

It will be interesting to see how that compares with my last crossing on Brilliance of the Seas - same price, but 12 days vs 6, Junior Suite overlooking the stern versus Balcony overlooking a lifeboat!

For me a lot of the Cunard 'magic' was the heritage of the QE2 & Caronia, and the variety of other pax - I wonder how much of that is being carried over....

I expect to be impressed by the ship - but in terms of hardware, in Brilliance I suspect QM2 has some of the best competition out there....if different ambience.....time will tell!

Peter

Hi Peter

QE2 she ain't - but there is such a feeling of 'old fashioned transatlantic grandeur' aboard QM2 that I'm sure you won't be disappointed, maybe even a little impressed. Anyway, I have always regarded QE2 'nostalgia' as a bit 'nouveau', since I remember her launch and maiden voyage in the late 60's - and it wasn't THAT long ago!!!! QM2 is as much the heritage of Cunard's Queens as QE2 was in her day. As far as fellow pax are concerned, I guess these days you can be lucky or not on any voyage on any ship.

We are very much looking forward to our QM2 transatlantic in September AND .... we just booked Arcadia (ex QV) for Acapulco to Barbados over New Year - which is going to be really interesting ship board (what would original QV have looked like), cruise line (never done P&O) as well as itinerary (first time through the Canal)!!!

Like you - loved Brilliance as well as Jewel. Think RCI is very underated but haven't tried an Explorer class yet.

Regards

Ken

Archived