Reef Club

sharecruises

I also like to read reviews on other sites, and was checking forum at tripadvisor (add the dot. com) and there are a number heated threads on Reef Club

and the reviews the past few months have many negative

Problems include a LOT of construction, understaffing, running out of booze at bar, but mostly various rounds of people getting sick on the food....

Now...given the way this forum works, some people will chime in and describe the wonderful time they had at Reef 3 months ago or 3 years ago or whatever....and I do not doubt you did have a good time..

however...read the many many RECENT reviews and RECENT forum threads over there....and judge for yourself

Any recent reviews here???

In reading over the threads there it seems that the resort has added on a time share place that also eats and drinks there, so it is more crowded, and they are understaffed....as for the various 'food sick' reports....I don't know....does not sound good

I do think it is really important to remember that places, management, prices, atmosphere, food, chef's, servers, etc all change....things get better or worse...

a good review from 6 months ago is "interesting" to read, but I look for the most recent reviews..

just a heads up for those considering this place

I also like to read reviews on other sites, and was checking forum at tripadvisor (add the dot. com) and there are a number heated threads on Reef Club

and the reviews the past few months have many negative

Problems include a LOT of construction, understaffing, running out of booze at bar, but mostly various rounds of people getting sick on the food....

Now...given the way this forum works, some people will chime in and describe the wonderful time they had at Reef 3 months ago or 3 years ago or whatever....and I do not doubt you did have a good time..

however...read the many many RECENT reviews and RECENT forum threads over there....and judge for yourself

Any recent reviews here???

In reading over the threads there it seems that the resort has added on a time share place that also eats and drinks there, so it is more crowded, and they are understaffed....as for the various 'food sick' reports....I don't know....does not sound good

I do think it is really important to remember that places, management, prices, atmosphere, food, chef's, servers, etc all change....things get better or worse...

a good review from 6 months ago is "interesting" to read, but I look for the most recent reviews..

just a heads up for those considering this place

I have not seen anything in a while, but I found this for ya...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=489296

I personally have not been there however it's strange that you mention the stomach illnesses - I work for a local tour agency in Cozumel and we received a phone message from someone who was staying at the Reef Club in late February asking what was going to be done about the Cozumel Stomach Virus that had broken out - stating the he and his 3 friends had experienced problems that week and the day he was calling there had been a line of people at the snack bar (I'm assuming they sell medicines as well as snacks) with stomach problems looking for relief. He wanted to be sure it was reported. I called the Reef Club back but didn't get an answer at the room number he left on the message. I didn't really thing much about it since I live here and hadn't read anything in the papers or heard anything on the news about any Virus outbreak in Cozumel - Perhaps it was just at the Reef Club??

I'm sure if what the gentleman described was true that the Reef Club management was made aware and if there was any problem with their menu it was taken care of quickly since the hotel knows their current customers can make or break their future business.

I personally have not been there however it's strange that you mention the stomach illnesses - I work for a local tour agency in Cozumel and we received a phone message from someone who was staying at the Reef Club in late February asking what was going to be done about the Cozumel Stomach Virus that had broken out - stating the he and his 3 friends had experienced problems that week and the day he was calling there had been a line of people at the snack bar (I'm assuming they sell medicines as well as snacks) with stomach problems looking for relief. He wanted to be sure it was reported. I called the Reef Club back but didn't get an answer at the room number he left on the message. I didn't really thing much about it since I live here and hadn't read anything in the papers or heard anything on the news about any Virus outbreak in Cozumel - Perhaps it was just at the Reef Club??

I'm sure if what the gentleman described was true that the Reef Club management was made aware and if there was any problem with their menu it was taken care of quickly since the hotel knows their current customers can make or break their future business.

Hi....there are a number of reviews here, recent reviews..

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150809-d214260-r6917467-Reef_Club_Cozumel_Beach_Dive_Resort-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

and if you search for Reef Club on the trip advisor cozumel forum there are various posts about problems....?

We did the day pass at the Reef Club in Jan 2007. The only reason we went there was to use their Hobie Catamarans. The beach was ok but alot of it was washed away during the hurricane. The bar did not run out of alcohol when we were there. The food was not good. I took one look and didn't eat a thing. My DH tried to eat but after several bites, even he couldn't eat the food (at the buffet). We were recruited to play sand volleyball by the staff. I am still paying for that mistake. They told me after I tore my knee up that there was cement under the sand. I still have a sore that just won't heal on my knee. We did enjoy the Hobies and the beach was quiet and for our needs, it was fine... but I would NEVER stay there for a vacation.

• 3 weeks later...

I was there January 12th. I would never stay there. The food was terrible, they ran out of stuff at the bar, the mixed drinks almost made me throw up and the beach was too rocky. I've never drank something that instantly made me sick. I took a sip of one of the mixed drinks and it made me sick to my stomach. Everyone in my party that had one said the same thing. There were bugs crawling all over the rolls that were offered in the buffet too. That was definitely not sanitary. Actually, the day after the Reef Club, I ended up sick. I had a stomach ache, that I kept popping anti-diarrheal pills for. No one else had it, but I was the only one to eat some type of chicken. I didn't really think anything of it either.

Ouch....sorry to hear of your bad times. Last fall there were many positive reviews of this, but things change...this is apparently not just "one bad day"..but many.

On Trip advisor, and on the cozumel boards there are many many bad reviews of Reef, starting in about December....in fact one of the most vocal critics, who got very sick there, has just recieved a refund from Reef and Apple Vacations. They have been trying to blame stuff on a "virus" but really they are not keeping that buffet sanitary and they have too many people, not enough workers. More new construction has further hampered it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in some cases I think it should be put out there....thanks for not playing the ever popular game of shoot the messenger!

hope your next visit to Cozumel is better!

Our ship -- Carnival Miracle -- was in Cozumel on April 4, 2007. We booked the all inclusive day pass through Island Marketing for 13 of us. We added on 6 discover scuba excursions. I had read some negative reviews about the resort and the food, so I was a bit worried about how things would work out. I can say, without a doubt, this place is fantastic. It is a beautiful beach setting, away from the crowds. The food and drink were all fine nobody in our group of 13 -- ranging from 8 years old to 68 years old -- experienced any illness or problem. The mixed drinks were fine and the beer was cold. Little to no waiting for any of this.

The discover scuba course -- operated by Sand Dollar Sports -- was also top notch. My wife and I are certified divers and have dove in many locations with many operators and these guys stack up to anyone. We signed up for the resort course so we could introduce our 11 year old son to scuba and tag along with him. Victor and Oscar -- the instructors and dive masters -- were great. They made sure everyone in our group was comfortable and safe. The dive site itself was not the best I have ever seen, but the expereince of diving with our son and seeing his excitiment was what we wanted and they delivered on that.

The only negative of the whole day, and a minor one at that, was the condition of the beach below the waterline. It was rocky and hard to wade into without water shoes. Left over damage from one of the recent hurricaines. The sand on the beach, however, was pristine white and very clean.

While we did not actually see inside any of the rooms, I feel safe assuming that they were equally as clean as the rest of the resort. I'd go back without hesitation for a day or a week.

I hope this helps with any others that are looking for a recnt review of this location.:D

My wife, son, and I were at the reef club on March 22. It was a very nice place to stay, but we did have one problem. My son and I also signed up for the discover diving. We checked in to the dive shop immediately after arriving. They started the class almost immediately which was about a half hour early. The issue was that our dive did not end until close to 2:30pm instead of noon as I believe is advertised. My son and I had very little time to eat and enjoy the actual club before we had to return to the port area. I reported the problem to Island Marketing and they are investigating why our class ran so long. There were less than a dozen in the class, but they did not have enough equipment for the pool dive and we had to go in shifts. Then, we had to wait for an available boat to go out on. It was just not organized very well... maybe it was just a bad day for them. Regardless, we did not get our money's worth out of the all-inclusive day pass of the club. The scuba class in itself was very good, other than the time it took.

We always appreciate any current and non-bias review. I am glad you guys had a great time. 6 more days for us till Ecstasy!!!

How do you know what is a "non biased" review?....a positive review?...or what??? I would hope all reviews are non biased here...I don't work for any of these clubs ...I have reported things that are on the internet

it is NO secret that Reef club had some real problems recently but it is good to see that things can improve and change

as I have said before ...things change...people/management/policies etc can change pretty quickly especially in the hospitatity restaurant biz

it is good to see that maybe this time things are changing for the better, but I am still very puzzled by your declaration about "non biased" reviews??

Thanks for everybody's comment good or bad review. May the Lord bless you Cheri. May you always have a great vacation. May you have everybody in your life agree with you. I don't wish you anything else but great blessings. I am here to plan and enjoy my few precious day off. I am a hospice nurse and have to deal with many tragic losses everyday. And to me, Every momment is precious and needs to be enjoyed to the fullest. Thanks for your comments and please have a great evening.

• 1 month later...

Hi! My husband and I spent a week at the Reef Club for our honeymoon, over the second week of May. There are 2 resorts there, one is an adults only called Sabor which is top notch. However, we did go over to the regular part of the resort (Reef Club) and we did eat at the buffet. It wasn't the best food I have ever eaten, but it wasn't horrible either. We never got sick once. What I did notice though was that during the weekdays (Mon-Thurs) things were so much better than they were on Fri-Sun. Things really went downhill (but not terrible) on the weekend because it was so much more crowded, and more rude people. The staff was more stressed out because of the extra people, so the service wasn't as good. That said, if your ship comes in Mon-Thurs, your experience will probably be much better at the Reef Club.

I would go there again, but try to stay at Sabor because there are less people, and the people are nicer.

I think it's a nice place to go to for the day though.

it is good to see that maybe this time things are changing for the better, but I am still very puzzled by your declaration about "non biased" reviews??

You occasionally get some posts by people who are affiliated with certain businesses or resorts, and their reviews can be slanted either in favor of their own place or negative against the competition. I think the majority of the posters are genuine, non-biased cruise travelers, though.

I was there in Feb 2007 with 14 people. None of us got sick but the food/drinks are not very good, the beach is very rocky.... The resort is pretty but I'm returning to Coz in July and I would not go back there.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived