Saxman Village or Bight state park

Ldybandt

No best, both are worthwhile to consider. Saxman Village is right outside of downtown Ketchikan, easy to pick up a cheap tour at the dock. You usually can get a look into the Carver's Shed, but always verify this. It's a busy area sometimes overrun with buses and tour groups. If you take a ship tour, it may include the dancer's, again very enjoyable if of interest.

Totem Bight, is a wooded park like setting, very nice walking paths, they do have a clan house. Tours are less frequently available independent. Ship tours would offer excellent narration. Sourdough, used to have tours that included both??

There are also many totems right accessable via walking Ketchikan if of interest. And Totem Heritage Museum with authentic totems with the priority on preservation.

Sourdough does offer both; we took Saxman and had a great time. We had a great driver who was a native of Ketchikan (had gotten married in the clan house there at Saxman) and we enjoyed her comments. She turned the bus around at a place where you could see 2 eagle nests, so be sure you take your binoculars along! Also, they give you admission to Dolly's House and will let you off at Creek Street after the tour.

Sourdough? Is that a independant tour? Is there a website?

Sorry for all the questions but I am new at this and have been living on these boards the last couple of weeks. I want to make sure I get the biggest bang for my bucks on this (our first) cruise.

I want to thank each and everyone for all the help.

It's a smaller independent company, I found the website on this board somewhere......just google it or go to Ketchikan's website. They have a desk in the visitors' building on the dock. We did not reserve ahead - just bought our tickets when we arrived.

Last July did Totem Bight. We enjoyed the park very much, but again we took Alaska for the heritage and not scenery. (We live in Washington State and I see the scenery of the Inside passage everyday.)

We are going to Saxman next year.

Joan, the day we were there they also gave us coupons to take to Little Switzerland for free rain ponchos. We didn't need them that day :D but they are good sturdy ponchos - red with the store logo on them.

Archived