Review of NCL SUN Oct 15 Through Oct 22

bdaddyiii

Hello everyone. I wil posting within the next two days the menu's and dailies from the SUN as well as photos of Great Stirrup Cay within the next two days. It is alot of work due to the photos and information i am trying to post to answer some of the question I saw posted before I went on this cruise. If anyone has any question before I get it posted I will attempt to answer them in my post.:cool:

A rainy day of a cruise is better than a sunny day at work.

Ha Ha you got that right....add windy day to that...I was on the same cruise, hope you enjoyed yourself...we did, I would like to see your review, I won;t reiterate anything just want to see if your take on a few things were the same as mine....

I cant wait to see the dailies! Do you have copies of the kids crew schedules too? We will be on this same cruise in a month and cant wait. My kids want to know what the ice cream situation is on the SUN. Can you get self serve ice cream in the buffet all day long?

Thanks

I cant wait to see the dailies! Do you have copies of the kids crew schedules too? We will be on this same cruise in a month and cant wait. My kids want to know what the ice cream situation is on the SUN. Can you get self serve ice cream in the buffet all day long?

Thanks

There is hand dipped ice cream afternoons and evenings in the buffet, next to where the cold soup is served. No self service as I recall from last year. The soft-serv was behind the counter.

I've seen a pic of the Sun's balcony cabin's dryer (old box on the wall over the toilet). Having been on the Sky and Spirit, I remember at least one of them had that, as well as a small hand-held one in a desk drawer. Maybe it was left by a previous tenant. How well did the wall box work and did you find a spare? Thanks, bdaddy! steve

I've seen a pic of the Sun's balcony cabin's dryer (old box on the wall over the toilet). Having been on the Sky and Spirit, I remember at least one of them had that, as well as a small hand-held one in a desk drawer. Maybe it was left by a previous tenant. How well did the wall box work and did you find a spare? Thanks, bdaddy! steve

I am also interested in the hair dryer. I have long hair and recall that the hair dryer when we sailed from South America on the Sun in 2009 didn't do a very good job.:eek: Have they changed them?

My kids want to know what the ice cream situation is on the SUN. Can you get self serve ice cream in the buffet all day long?

Thanks

it is the ice cream station and usually open from noon til 9:30...its always the longest line on the ship--they have soft and hard ice cream varities-sometimes sherbet it varies.

I've seen a pic of the Sun's balcony cabin's dryer (old box on the wall over the toilet). Having been on the Sky and Spirit, I remember at least one of them had that, as well as a small hand-held one in a desk drawer. Maybe it was left by a previous tenant. How well did the wall box work and did you find a spare?

I am also interested in the hair dryer. I have long hair and recall that the hair dryer when we sailed from South America on the Sun in 2009 didn't do a very good job.:eek: Have they changed them?

Two weeks ago on Norwegian Sun, my balcony cabin had the box-with-hose type of hair dryer in the bathroom above the toilet (seen in reflection). It was just OK for a few days, but not something I'd consider using regularly.

Cabin-9277-J-L.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=210348&stc=1&d=1319409940

Let me start by saying this was a nice ship. Not my favorite, but still very nice. We were schedule to leave Port Canveral on Saturday Oct 15th, Day at sea Oct 16th, Day in Cozumel, Mexico Oct 17th, Day in Georgetown, Grand Caymen Oct 18th, Day in Ocho Rios, Jamaica Oct 19th, Day at sea Oct 20th, Day at Great Stirrup Cay Oct 21st, Arrive in Port Canaveral Oct 22nd. The weather before we left was forecast to be rainyin every port.

It did not rain in any of the ports which was nice. We did not be to spend the day in Grand Caymen the Captain cancelled that port due to the strong winds.

Before I go any further let me answer a couple of questions. They do serve soft serve and scoop type ice cream in the Garden Cafe all day except during breakfest when it is the waffle station.

The hair dryer is of littel use so you might want to take one with you.

We were in Stateroom 8050.

1889703452_Day7GreatStirrupCay(22).jpg.34874ce90e20f7cf3c12e55f920dd4a8.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=210350&stc=1&d=1319410650

attachment.php?attachmentid=210354&stc=1&d=1319410876

attachment.php?attachmentid=210351&stc=1&d=1319410650

attachment.php?attachmentid=210352&stc=1&d=1319410650

attachment.php?attachmentid=210353&stc=1&d=1319410650

attachment.php?attachmentid=210355&stc=1&d=1319410876

The stateroom was nice and large with a large balcony. However, the bathroom was the size of a phone booth. The bed was very hard and I wish I had thought to ask for the egg shell thing to go on it. The room was clean and well maintained.

Drink Menu's. Sorry if they are out of focus I was trying to take a lot of pictures and still have fun. Also I am trying to get the menu's and dailies posted before I go into details of my thoughts of the crusie.

attachment.php?attachmentid=210361&stc=1&d=1319411556

attachment.php?attachmentid=210362&stc=1&d=1319411556

attachment.php?attachmentid=210363&stc=1&d=1319411556

attachment.php?attachmentid=210364&stc=1&d=1319411556

attachment.php?attachmentid=210365&stc=1&d=1319411556

9 more pages to come on the drink menu

809285764_DrinkMenu1.jpg.cd528d3b57ca1a85980807fdeb1de041.jpg

1028574573_DrinkMenu2.jpg.6d9301bba7c4c831cbb3acee5903656e.jpg

1902030335_DrinkMenu3.jpg.a030fde0d61db00481c881fb55ae1089.jpg

541868906_DrinkMenu4.jpg.3eb042e71411fe59d1982ed339dca0d3.jpg

28920606_DrinkMenu5.jpg.294b49a8b5d448ca67a250e129179278.jpg

I was in room 8060 last year and thought the location was pretty good. We basically took the stairs for just about everything.

Loved the pic of the ship in the water, what a great piece of hull art she has. :)

We did as well. The location was great.

October 14th, 2011 pre cruise visit to St. Augustine Beach. We stayed in a hotel called the Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort.

St. Augustine was really nice to visit and walk around the old town and shop and have a couple of drinks. I would return to St. Augustine for a weekend and enjoy it I am sure.

The hotel on the other hand, I will never stay there again nor will I recommend it to anyone. We were told when we booked and checked into the hotel that the room we were assigned had just been remodeled. I can only assume the who ever remodeled the room must have used mold to hold the building together. The room was on the 4th floor and we found that he room had a odor about it when we entered. The balcony door would not open until it was beat upon due to the lock being rusted and not properly working. We then found mold in the corner of the bathroom. We figured that was bad but when I saw the mold on the wall of the bedroom that was fuzzy, I was not happy. The sink in the bathroom was clogged up as well. I then attempted to drink some of the coffee in the room and found it to be unfit for human consumption. I spent several years in the Army and have drunk some really bad coffee and this stuff made be gag. We went to the front desk to see about some coffee and found that once they gave us a cup I had to pay one dollar per cup. There is not complimentary coffee that is consumable. The tiki bar on the pool deck would have been nice but the bar tender was so drunk that she was unable to pour a proper drink. The drinks se poured were so strong you could not drink them.

I notified the front desk manager and received not apology or anything, I can only assume that they will correct the mold issued before someone else rents the room. For the price of 120 per night I would think the room would have at least been clean. It was not as I have stated and the bed was so worn out that a good night sleep was not possible. Therefore we checked out a few hours after finding the issues and continuing on our travels.

October 15th Embarkation at Port Canaveral aboard the SUN.

Embarkation went very quickly. We arrived at 11am and parked our car after unloading our bags. The line was short and moved very quickly. The staff at the port was friendly and informative. The chairs they had you sit in just prior to boarding were really close together, which would be my only complaint.

As we boarded the staff on board were very friendly and greeted everyone with a smile. We order or first drink and headed to the Aft of the ship to find the Seven Seas Restaurant. We had to climb a set of stairs to deck 6 to get to the aft to climb back down some stairs to deck 5 to get there. DW had fried Calamari, Philly Cheese Steak, and Strawberry Shortcake. I had Vietnamese rolls, Chicken marsala which was the chief choice, and blueberry cheese cake. All the food was great. The announcement that the staterooms were ready came about 1:45 and our luggage was at the room by 3:00 so we unpacked before the safety briefing.

Sail Away Party on the pool deck. OMG. Drinks were flowing and we meet a lot of people and made some friends. Debbie, Gene and Heather partied with us for hours. Debbie number 2 and her son Justin were cool as well. Our group also met Connie and Anna who were from San Diego. We were all laughing and having a great time.

Forgot to eat dinner so we went to the Garden Café. The layout is not great but I was able to get something to eat with no problem and everything I tried was really good. I go into every meal with an open mind or at least I try. Saying that the layout really sucked. You have the Garden Café on the starboard side of the deck 11 aft. The great outdoors café on deck 11 aft. The sports bar and moderno deck 11 port side aft. So when during peek hours it got a little crowded.

The weather was clowdy but very nice and warm.

October 16th Sea Day.

Breakfast was so so. Crescents were really good as was the bacon (No Bacon Police). The eggs not so good, they tasted like they were made from powdered eggs. We ate in the Garden Café and we were there early so there was no crowd. However at 950am when we went through the Garden Café to get some water and juice the crowd was not so much large as the flow through the Garden Café was not good. People were using it as a walk through from the aft elevators to the pool deck, which caused a little more congestion. The situation with no trays is a little crazy but you get use to it. The ocean is choppy today causing a lot of motion in the ship. First time I have really felt the motion and this is my forth cruise. The layout of the ship takes some getting use to but it is o.k. The Topsider is really nice place to hang and have a few drinks and watch and meet people.

Today we had the meet and greet. It was fun and we met the captain and other senior staff. Cruise Director is Pedro.

Dinner in the Four Seasons, which is the mid ship main dining room. The service was a little slow; the food however was really good. We choose to sit at a large table with five other people. It was nice to meet some more of the cruisers. And we picked the Four Season as it is the cruise casual setting.

We attended the newly wed game, which was funny as always. They had four couples, one couple was on their honeymoon, one couple married 21 years, one couple married 50 years, and one couple married 56 years. Later we went to the disco party, which was a blast from the past. Everyone was dancing and have fun. The game and the disco party were both in Dazzles which is really two small since it was filled to over full with people trying to watch

Weather however has turned for the worst and we have rain, wind, and high seas. But a rainy day on a ship is better than a sunny day at work. That is unless you work on a cruise ship.

I have so many photos to go with some of these post but I can not figure out how to get them on here. Any help would be nice.

October 16th Sea Day.

I have so many photos to go with some of these post but I can not figure out how to get them on here. Any help would be nice.

You need to upload your photos to a sharing website such as Photobucket or Flickr. When they are uploaded the thumbnail there should show a URL when you scroll over the pic. Copy the thumbnail and then paste it in the popup box that comes up when you click on the little yellow picture (located under the 'undo' arrow near the top of they grey reply box). If your pics are a large size you might have to reduce them when pasting them on your photo sharing site, usually down to a medium will be fine.

Good luck, I hope you can understand my directions. Hopefully someone else will come along and offer better instructiosn. :)

Archived