Upachaya snorkel recently?

2Okies

I've read some reviews on Upachaya, but I can't find here on CC where anyone has reviewed an excursion with them recently.

I would like someone that has taken this trip in the past few months to let me know what they thought of the trip?

We are wanting a very good place to snorkel, at a reasonable cost. This sounds good. The Tripadvisor reviews appear to be very good.

Where exactly is this place in Roatan. I would like to know where it is on the map, and how far from the ship docking at Mahogany Bay. The island doesn't look that large, so I'm sure it isn't that far away, but I would just like to know where we would be snorkeling - what reef, etc. I just like to visualize something before choosing.

I've been leaning towards Maya Key (thru Carnival - which is pretty pricey), but this sounds intriguing also.

We just want to see some AWESOME snorkeling, but would like a reasonable price too.

Anyone?

If all you want is an awesome reef, just go to West Bay Beach. :cool:

Yes, I have read about West Bay, and it sounds like it is good snorkeling too. But, I've also read varying opinions on how to get there, the cost, etc. I kind of like to nail down how we are doing it and exactly where to go, etc. I read some say the cost of a cab shouldn't be more than $10, each way, and some say $25. Then some say, "oh, but its probably cheaper to get a day pass to a resort w/their transportation". Its just very confusing.

We've never been to Roatan before. When you've never been to a place before, you are just trying to find out about all the options. If you've been to both Upachaya and West Bay, and can give me a comparison, I would love to hear it.

Also, the best WAY to get to West Bay, where to go that will let you get to the beach for free (I understand the beach IS free, but do you have to go through a resort to get to it?) I just have a lot of questions about West Bay, and I'm having trouble getting that info sorted out.

Thanks!

If all you want is an awesome reef, just go to West Bay Beach. :cool:

Yes, I have read about West Bay, and it sounds like it is good snorkeling too. But, I've also read varying opinions on how to get there, the cost, etc. I kind of like to nail down how we are doing it and exactly where to go, etc. I read some say the cost of a cab shouldn't be more than $10, each way, and some say $25. Then some say, "oh, but its probably cheaper to get a day pass to a resort w/their transportation". Its just very confusing.

We've never been to Roatan before. When you've never been to a place before, you are just trying to find out about all the options. If you've been to both Upachaya and West Bay, and can give me a comparison, I would love to hear it.

Also, the best WAY to get to West Bay, where to go that will let you get to the beach for free (I understand the beach IS free, but do you have to go through a resort to get to it?) I just have a lot of questions about West Bay, and I'm having trouble getting that info sorted out.

For example: Last year our cruise went to Mexico, and everyone said Chankanaab was THE place to go for snorkeling from the beach. So, that is what we did. Maybe we were spoiled from the day before - snorkeling at Grand Cayman, but we weren't that impressed with Chankanaab, and wished we had picked a snorkel by boat. Yes, their park was nice, but we really wanted some good snorkeling, and felt a little let down. (And it wasn't our first time in Cozumel - we've been many times.) We just don't want to make the mistake we made last year. IF West Bay is REALLY great snorkeling from the beach, then I would love to hear the best way to get there, etc., and the expected costs to do so (from Mahogany Bay).

Thanks!

I know what you mean about Chank... people rave, but we weren't impressed at all. :rolleyes:

I know nothing about Upachaya, but WBB is a real, live reef located right off the beach. There are a number of ways to get there, and all the taxi drivers know how to access the beach for free. We took a cab there the first time and were dropped off right next to Bananarama Resort. Now, we just take Bananarama's Cruise Ship Package. It comes with a lounge chair and a drink for $35pp or $40 if you need gear. Bodden's will drop you off at the same place for $25pp if you have 4 people.

Taxi's from inside either port are regulated and going to cost a little more, but the ones outside the gate can be negotiated with. If you leave after the morning rush, you can probably negotiate the best price with one of those drivers. Once, we negotiated a $20 fare for the 2 of us, from Coxen Hole. He was ready to take that for round-trip, but we gave him $20 each way. It may seem confusing, but you'll be satisfied any way you get there. :cool:

We are doing the Bodden Zip & Dip that takes you to the Bananarama Resort after the Zip which is a short walk to the wall. $65pp for both and the Bananarama Resort facilaties...shower, restrooms are included.

Just an idea for you to kick around.

We took a taxi from MB to tabyanna. Driver stayed with us all day but it would have cheaper going with Bodden or thru the ship.

Thank you for the input.

There seems to be so many options in Roatan (unlike Belize!) that sound awesome. West Bay sounds great. Maya Key sounds great, some of the offshore boating snorkels sound great, and some of the private excursions sound great. It's so hard to decide! And....just a few hours there to enjoy what sounds like an awesome island!

We sure want to get to experience the best of the place!

I do have another question. It sounds like Maya Key is relatively close to where the ship docks? We did an AI day at Sunset in Jamaica and we were disappointed in the clarity of the water there, and I think it was because it is about 5 minutes from the ship. Any problems like this at Maya Key? It doesn't look like it in the pictures.

Anyone been to both Maya Key & West Bay (on good snorkeling days) and have an opinion on which you would choose (and why?)

Thanks!!

Okies,

I wanted to go to Upachaya a couple years back but they were booked six weeks out. Their snorkel trip went to a cut in the reef and to a wreck at that time. Plus they only took 8 or 10 people. If we go back I won't hesitate to book with them.

DH and I went with them 2 years ago. It ended up only being the two of us on the excursion and it was awesome. I would highly recommend them to you. Food was great too not to mention the cold beers on the boat. They took us out to two snorkeling sites (if memory serves me correctly) and the guide was great pointing things out to us and bringing up starfish and sand dollars for us to hold. He also took some underwater pics with us with our camera.

I'm interested in knowing what you decide. I'm in the same boat, so to speak. DH and I love to snorkel. If they could tie me off the boat and just leave me alone to float and watch, I'd be thrilled.

Three years ago we were booked with Upachaya but the ship got waved off Roatan all together due to a hurricane. We haven't been back to Roatan since. There seems to be a lot more choices this time around! :eek: Upachaya's pontoon snorkel seems like a good deal and we're interested in going with someone the first time. They pick us up, drop us off, know when the ship leaves, etc.

BTW, are you going to Belize? We snorkeled with Coral Breezes three years ago and they were fantastic. Going to go with them again when we're there in Nov.

Pam

IMHO, the most cost efficient way to snorkel West Bay beach is the trip thru the cruise line for about $35 PP which gets you there & back, returning at about any time of your choice & eliminates that loooong walk to outside of the gates, to where the local vendors are for your cab ride there.

We usually only do none cruise ship tours, but here we take the ships tour, any day !

Tayabana offers some of the very best snorkeling anywhere in the world, again IMHO.

IMHO, the most cost efficient way to snorkel West Bay beach is the trip thru the cruise line for about $35 PP which gets you there & back, returning at about any time of your choice & eliminates that loooong walk to outside of the gates, to where the local vendors are for your cab ride there.

We usually only do none cruise ship tours, but here we take the ships tour, any day !

Tayabana offers some of the very best snorkeling anywhere in the world, again IMHO.

Which cruise line are you on? I'm not sure Carnival does Tayabana. Or would that be the same as Bananarama?

• 4 weeks later...

We have been to Roatan 3 times and have done 3 different snorkel trips. I will post my opinion on each of them.

Half Moon Bay- (hubby and I traveling alone, March 2010) You have to enter the water from a platform. Nothing spectacular. We too have snorkeled in various places over the years and this was at the bottom of my list. Restaurant was close by, good food. We booked the island tour with Victor Bodden and I cant say enough good things about his operation and how smoothly everything ran. The snorkel part of the trip was nothing special.

Upachaya- (traveling in a group of 5 couples, March 2011) all communications booking the trip and the many questions I had were handled in a timely manner. There were 12 of us on this excursion, which I believe is the maximum they take. Upon arriving we were met at the road by the owner and he gave us a detailed tour on the way down to get our gear. Explaining how they came to be on the island, their plans for the place and also all the trees and plants. We then went out on the water with the guide Al (he is awesome) and another young man that stayed on the boat. The first stop we snorkeled around some coral formations and he would bring up things like starfish and sea cucumbers for us to hold and take pictures of. He also took my camera down to get a closeup of a lion fish hiding in the coral. We saw lots of fish. We then went to another location and went to the edge of the reef, my first time out over the big blue drop off. Oh My!!! So cool to get out away from the reef and look back at it. As we made our way around we came upon what will remain one of the coolest things I've ever seen, what looked like a big sloping hill that gently disappeared into the big blue, the cool part was that as you looked across the white sand it was covered with star fish!!! I'm getting excited just writing about it! When then headed in to a delicious vegetarian lunch. We then had them take us to Sundowners beach bar to hang out for a while. Of course we had to pay a taxi back to the cruise port on our own. It was an incredible day! This was my excursion to plan for the group and I was nervous, no worries, we all loved it!

West Bay Beach- (hubby and I traveling alone, March 2012) we booked the Bananarama beach package. We booked thru their website and had transportation, chair, use of the facilities and snorkel gear (we bring our own) and 1 drink for $40 each. We did order lunch there, I don't remember the prices but I don't remember thinking it was out of line. You can do a search here for snorkeling and get all the info you need, from where to enter the water and maps, I wish I knew how to copy a link for you. The snorkeling was very good a big variety of fish, corals, and starfish. It was a very relaxing day with good snorkeling.

With all that being said, Upachaya would be #1 with West Bay #2........but when we go back this coming March we will be going to West Bay as we are taking our teenage daughter and she likes her beach time, mom and dad want to snorkel making West Bay a win-win!

I did have a few jelly fish stings at West Bay, I now make sure I have some cortisone cream with me.

Sorry this got so long, but I remember being unsure about Roatan, and now its one of my favorite ports!

Upachaya- (traveling in a group of 5 couples, March 2011) all communications booking the trip and the many questions I had were handled in a timely manner. There were 12 of us on this excursion, which I believe is the maximum they take. Upon arriving we were met at the road by the owner and he gave us a detailed tour on the way down to get our gear. Explaining how they came to be on the island, their plans for the place and also all the trees and plants. We then went out on the water with the guide Al (he is awesome) and another young man that stayed on the boat. The first stop we snorkeled around some coral formations and he would bring up things like starfish and sea cucumbers for us to hold and take pictures of. He also took my camera down to get a closeup of a lion fish hiding in the coral. We saw lots of fish. We then went to another location and went to the edge of the reef, my first time out over the big blue drop off. Oh My!!! So cool to get out away from the reef and look back at it. As we made our way around we came upon what will remain one of the coolest things I've ever seen, what looked like a big sloping hill that gently disappeared into the big blue, the cool part was that as you looked across the white sand it was covered with star fish!!! I'm getting excited just writing about it! When then headed in to a delicious vegetarian lunch. We then had them take us to Sundowners beach bar to hang out for a while. Of course we had to pay a taxi back to the cruise port on our own. It was an incredible day! This was my excursion to plan for the group and I was nervous, no worries, we all loved it!

This sounds AWESOME! Did he do a special package for you or is this one of the standard packages - Snorkel excursion outline?

It was their regular snorkel package that they offer for cruise passengers. They only take 12 (I think) and this tour can fill up fast so if you decide to do this I would book asap. I want to clarify that we were picked up at the cruise terminal by a driver and the owner met us at the top of the hill when we reached their property and walked us down giving us the information on their operation. You will not regret booking Upachaya!

Archived