Princess-full transit by boat - with mobility issues?

Tyskie

There are so many pros and cons to this excursion (recent thread on Princess). Was there adequate shade and mobility wise - easy to move around the smaller boat? Not that anyone is in a wheel chair or scooter but slow on stairs. Bathrooms, easily accessible? Thanks for your input. We're going in March:D

Are you talking on an excursion, or on the Princess cruise ship?

Sorry, to clarify: the excursion through Princess. The full transit on the smaller ferry boat to the Pacific. We're doing it, just a question if my BIL & SIL would be comfortable with this excursion. They usually pick the E excursions for Easy...............but reading the reviews by others there are pros and cons but no one really addressed the shade & bathroom facilities. Already know to bring extra water, lotion and hat.

• 1 month later...

The ferry boat had several levels on it. The downstairs area was "air conditioned" but not really that cool like we expect in the US but it was okay. The bathrooms were relatively accessible but NOT handicap designed.They were on that lower level.

They served the buffet lunch downstairs. I spent the entire time on the top deck which had a canopy as well as open decking. They had ample buckets of water,soda(NO diet drinks) and some beer on the top deck. I did not see where beverages were served downstairs. I rarely if ever eat off the ship and brought sandwiches and a banana from the ship in a cooler bag. I have health issues that require I eat safely so please no flames for doing this. I don't litter or impact the environment by doing this when I consume everything I pack.

The stairs to the uppermost deck was a bit on the steep side and could prove difficult for those who use a cane. I did see a man navigate those stairs who did have some kind of mobility issues and I was really fearful he would fall.

Panama does not have the same type of ADA access at all like the US-getting on and off the ferry boat was very difficult,i.e. very steep, for those who needed wheelchairs and walkers.There was just not any kind of special handicap access for anyone-no lift,etc.

It is always quite warm and humid and there were a lot of elderly and frail looking people on this trip. Somehow everyone made it off the boat but it must have been a very long,hot and difficult day for them. I have a fairly hardy 85 year old mother and I would not want her to attempt this long excursion.

That being said, the tour guides on the bus did a great job of narrating from once we boarded until we got on the ferry boat and the tour guide on the top deck who narrated with a microphone(I'm sorry I don't know if his narration could be heard on the lower deck that was inside or not) did a fabulous job.

If you expect to be fairly hot and sweaty at times and get a good night's sleep the night before, its well worth the trip.

The bus driver on the way back from Panama City to Colon drove VERY fast-that was the only unnerving part of the day.

I hope this helps you decide if you want to go.

Thank you sweetsleep :) There have been so many negative reviews. We're going for it, I was just a little concerned about my BIL but I think he'll be just fine, at least there is AC he can go to. We'll spend our time on "top" and will be bringing a small cooler with some pre-packaged snacks and extra water.