Walking to port of New Orleans

bumbles

We'll be staying only a few blocks from the port of New Orleans in a few days (it appears from the map - we're at the Renaissance on Tchoupitoulas). How difficult would it be to walk to port? Is the port area safe?

thanks!

if you're thinking about walking to the port with several pieces of luggage from the hotel - I wouldn't do it. The taxi ride from the hotel to port is about 5 min (seriously) and about $3/4 per person. We stayed at the same hotel, as you , 2 yrs ago. We did a lot of walking to different areas, but I wouldn't do it with lots of luggage, the sidewalks weren't in the best of shape. Hope this helps some.

It's an easy walk, but you have to know the route, because the Convention Center is in the way.

Go to Convention Center Boulevard and take a right to Julia Street. Cross Julia Street to the Riverwalk and take the escalator. Just across the Riverwalk and a little to the right you will see double doors that open to an outdoor walkway. Follow this to the end and take the stairs down. You will be right at the terminal.

I walked once from the Drury to the port. The sidewalk was brick in parts which probably wasnt good for my suitcase wheels. And yep, we wound up having to carry the suitcase down that set of steps at the port which is hard to figure a way around... but its doable, and safe to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys - just got back yesterday from NO. We wound up not walking after much discussion, but in retrospect, it was something that would have been easily doable. It cost us $14 for the cab as we were lined up in the queue for a little bit (at 11 am).

Jane, as far as wheelchairs go, the sidewalks were a bit uneven (in some spots very uneven) so it might be a bit challenging for wheelchair travel.

Thanks guys - just got back yesterday from NO. We wound up not walking after much discussion, but in retrospect, it was something that would have been easily doable. It cost us $14 for the cab as we were lined up in the queue for a little bit (at 11 am).

Jane, as far as wheelchairs go, the sidewalks were a bit uneven (in some spots very uneven) so it might be a bit challenging for wheelchair travel.

Are you talking to me??

My sister was on a cane when we walked from the Drury, so Im not sure if its me or someone else here. I did walk with someone mobility challenged though.

We had a great rate on Drury, $89 TA rate and we changed to the $99 rate at Holiday Inn who doesnt charge anything for parking. My friend is joining me. It was paid for, so I said come on. We were trying for the cheapest option. Ill be there mid next Month for Triumph.

Iv been at both the Drury and Holiday Inn there before though. Holiday Inn has a shuttle and a free computer in their business office that is nice and its covered, garage parking. My friend doesnt seem like the walking type this next time, so the hotel with the shuttle is the better choice.

Jane, as far as wheelchairs go, the sidewalks were a bit uneven (in some spots very uneven) so it might be a bit challenging for wheelchair travel.[/quot

Did you leave a car at Renaissance on Tchoupitoulas? Was the parking free?

There is an alternate route, but it's a little hairy. Instead of walking through the Riverwalk, there is a roadway just across the railroad tracks that also leads to the terminal, but you have to dodge traffic.

When I walk to the port that is the route I take and just ignore the no pedestrian signs. Going up sand through Riverwalk is too much of a hassle for me.

Did you leave a car at Renaissance on Tchoupitoulas? Was the parking free?

Echo Queen - sorry we flew in and cabbed it to the hotel so no car. I don't recall parking at the hotel at all, but there was a valet...I assume there was probably a hefty charge per night for it. It was a great hotel though - loved the artwork and the staff was very nice.

You can always drop your bags off, drive back to the hotel and walk to the port. Ignore the no pedestrian signs (behind the convention center, after Julia St) though or you'll be walking at least 1/2 mile out of your way.

Harrah's charges for parking, I don't know if they give any discounts for staying there but as busy as that place is I can't see it.

I walked from the Drury in September and it wasn't too bad. With luggage on the way back though, no fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if you can actually walk through the convention center? Looking at the satellite maps it looks like there are some glass skylights running much of the way through it by the entrance at John Churchill Chase Street. We are staying at the Hampton Inn about a block from there, so it would be pretty convenient.

Anyone know if you can actually walk through the convention center? Looking at the satellite maps it looks like there are some glass skylights running much of the way through it by the entrance at John Churchill Chase Street. We are staying at the Hampton Inn about a block from there, so it would be pretty convenient.

No, you cannot walk through it to access the cruise ship docks. The convention center has no entrances (other than loading docks) on the river side. You have to walk around it.

I'm staying at this Hotel jan 7 I called last night they said they had a free shuttle to pier

Edited by wanderingjew

There is actually a walkway, but I've never seen it open. Not really sure why - maybe some security issues.

03adc1e265f0b29d59a614ac9477.jpg&h=400&w=400&rotate=0

8501cda10c444c4a960b0a833965.jpg&h=400&w=400&rotate=0

97a0889beacb398d8ca25091f8da.jpg&h=400&w=400&rotate=0

661be8838d39e39b2b1a86cffd96.jpg&h=400&w=400&rotate=0

a76565408a9592bb095f21d162c9.jpg&h=400&w=400&rotate=0

• 4 years later...

We just returned from a cruise out of New Orleans (March 2015) and have some current info for those that would like to walk to the cruise terminal from nearby hotels. (I believe there has been some renovations done in the port area since the last post here dated 2010, making it easier and safer to walk to the cruise terminal.)

From Convention Center Blvd, turn east onto Julia Street, going towards the RiverWalk Mall. (You'll also be turning toward the port itself.) Go up the escalators as if you were heading into the RiverWalk Mall. Upon entering the glass doors to the Mall, look ahead and off to your left and you will see a set of two elevators. The elevators are clearly marked with the words "Elevators to Cruise Ships". Take the elevators "DOWN" to the Royal Caribbean entrance, or follow the signs to get to the other cruise lines. When you emerge from the elevators, the porters will be right there to collect your bags and there will also be employees directing you to the entrance to begin the check-in process. We had stayed at the Hyatt Place on Convention Center Blvd and the total time it took us to walk from hotel/take escalator/take elevator/begin check-in was an easy 10 or 15 minutes.

Edited by PPJ

We just returned from a cruise out of New Orleans (March 2015) and have some current info for those that would like to walk to the cruise terminal from nearby hotels. (I believe there has been some renovations done in the port area since the last post here dated 2010, making it easier and safer to walk to the cruise terminal.)

From Convention Center Blvd, turn east onto Julia Street, going towards the RiverWalk Mall. (You'll also be turning toward the port itself.) Go up the escalators as if you were heading into the RiverWalk Mall. Upon entering the glass doors to the Mall, look ahead and off to your left and you will see a set of two elevators. The elevators are clearly marked with the words "Elevators to Cruise Ships". Take the elevators "DOWN" to the Royal Caribbean entrance, or follow the signs to get to the other cruise lines. When you emerge from the elevators, the porters will be right there to collect your bags and there will also be employees directing you to the entrance to begin the check-in process. We had stayed at the Hyatt Place on Convention Center Blvd and the total time it took us to walk from hotel/take escalator/take elevator/begin check-in was an easy 10 or 15 minutes.

For those leaving on Carnival from the Erato Street terminal -- you walk into the mall as explained above, but if you follow the signs for Erato terminal, you will not be directed into the elevators. You will walk outside to some steps down to the terminal. It's more than one short flight of stairs. No problem with my one light suitcase, but something to be prepared for. A porter actually met us halfway up to help those who had heavier suitcases and we tipped accordingly.