Queen Mary mini break

yogasun

Two questions in one.

Thinking of taking a mini break in November to Bruges, three nights on QM

What is likelihood of having problems with stag/hen celebrations?

Also do mini breaks count towards building up nights towards Platinum as only

have a few to go for that.:)?

Thanks for any answers/comments

The short cruises can attract parties, is it mid week or over a weekend? Obviously weekends are more likely. We have only really experienced one rowdy hen party group and that was on QE2.

Yes ALL nights on board count towards the next tier.

I would not worry. We have enjoyed a few mini voyages on Cunard.

They are more lively than longer cruises, but we have not been disturbed by anything approaching rowdy.

Stags n Hens, are much less likely in November too.

We are on QE for 4 nts in August.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Done a few of these and, without tempting fate, they have been fine.

Once we did a short one on QM2 and the chart room was PACKED and loud from mid aftrnoon on boarding day - we found out a large group of travel agents were on board. Thye wre atill there in the evening so we went to the commodore club and it was fine and then never saw the group again as they seemed to all go their separate ways

Not starting a p&o vs cunard debate but i asked a member of the crew once whether they ever get stag/hen groups on these shorter cruises and he advised having worked for p&o and cunard his opinion was that type of crowd seemed to gravitate to p&o. He did say that the short cruises could be quite rowdy on p&o at times but he had never experienced that on cunard

Go for it - we love them and think you do not receive any less level of service than you do on a longer cruise with them AND as always with travelling with cunard I come home relaxed, refreshed and needing to go on a diet :D

I have done westbounds from Hamburg, where one could expect some short break passengers. I didn't notice anything untoward going on. I suspect that the price on Cunard probably makes the short breakers a bit more polite.

We had a short break at Bruges last year in the middle of a roundtrip crossing on the QM2. (The two crossings and the Bruges jaunt were separately bookable) While, there were some obvious groups and the usual first night confusion was a factor, it was not disruptive nor problematic. (There was a little difference in the mood aboard). Of course, a major factor is that probably the majority of the passengers are aboard as part of a longer itinerary including one or both of the crossings on either end.

I mean, it's a pretty big ship, n'est-ce pas?

With how many bars, restaurants and public areas?

Would one avoid staying in a major hotel/resort complex over a weekend in case there was a party somewhere nearby ... ?

It sounds like you're unfamiliar with typical three day cruises on many lines. They're a very different experience and no matter how large, if a large number of passengers have "party fever," the whole ship experience will suffer - bad behavior can be contagious and a ship is not a resort complex.

In my experience, the atmosphere on short 2-3 jaunts from Southampton tend to have a different mood than 4 day outings in the US. (And both are very different from 3 day Caribbean cruises)

It was a legitimate question.

- Mark

It sounds like you're unfamiliar with typical three day cruises on many lines. They're a very different experience and no matter how large, if a large number of passengers have "party fever," the whole ship experience will suffer - bad behavior can be contagious and a ship is not a resort complex.

In my experience, the atmosphere on short 2-3 jaunts from Southampton tend to have a different mood than 4 day outings in the US. (And both are very different from 3 day Caribbean cruises)

It was a legitimate question.

- Mark

Definitely. It can be pretty frenetic pretty much everywhere, everyone wants to cram in as much as they can, in the short time they have.

However, it isn’t necessarily rowdy and/or a nuisance.