SOLO Traveler Dining question

AndWe

Every solo cruiser will have their own opinion.

Anytime dining offers flexibility that allows one to design a schedule for the evening that suits their desires. A possible negative is that each evening, one will be dining with different people and the conversation starts, and continues, with such trivia as "what is your name, where do you live, what do you (or have done) for a living, what do you like to do", etc. A couple of evenings of this is OK, i.e. on a less than 5 day cruise. For me, more days of such conversation at the dinner table has no interest.

Fixed seating dining offers the chance of getting to know one's table mates at a less superficial level than does Anytime Dining. Your Dining Stewards get to you as well as you do them and that may positively impact your satisfaction with their service.

The negatives to Fixed Seating is that your evening's schedule is somewhat dictated by when you dine and if you are seated with table mates with whom you do not connect well. If that should happen, do not hesitate for a nanosecond to speak with whomever is in charge of your Dining Room and ask to be re-seated. I failed to do that on one long cruise and it has negatively impacted my memory of that cruise. Why did I not do anything? Because of 3 reasons: I am a "glass is half full" type of person and I kept thinking "this will get better" (which it did, but not really better), thinking "what will I say when I see them on the ship or tours after I changed to a different table", and I really liked my DR's table size, location, and wait staff; I was reluctant to change. I learned from my experience and it will never happen again!

But, this is the only negative fixed seating experience I have had. All others have been very pleasant/pleasant to the best one on my most recent Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam where my table of 7 or 8 literally closed the Dining Room down more than once. We so enjoyed our interactions!