Any car rental options convenient to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal?

Turtles06

I’m aboard the Holland America Zuiderdam right now. We left Copenhagen on August 24, and were scheduled to dock at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on September 13. Today, just a week out (and while we were in Greenland no less), we received a letter in our cabins stating that the ship had been bumped to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal because of “necessary repair work” to our “originally assigned berth,” Pier 90 in Manhattan.

This won’t affect passengers with HAL transfers, but has caused some long distance scrambling for those of us with other arrangements. My wife and I were picking up a rental car close to the MCT (to drive home). Based on the research we were able to do today on board, it seems there are far fewer convenient car rental options in Brooklyn. We have booked a car from Budget, with a pickup at the Marriott at Brooklyn Bridge, but if anyone has a better suggestion, please let me know. (And I assume we’ll be able to get a cab over there.)

Thanks — it’s not as easy to deal with stuff like this on slow shipboard wi-fi as it is at home!

That's actually not so far from Red Hook. Just take a cab.

A Carnival ship recently had a close encounter with Pier 90, which is why you were bumped to Brooklyn.

Thanks Carol, as always.

We just heard about the Carnival mishap this morning. Since Carnival owns HAL, that probably explains why the ship did not tell us what had happened. ;p

There is a Hertz HLE and an Avis on Atlantic Ave in Downtown Brooklyn (I've used the Hertz) you would still need to take a cab there, the bus does go near it but then you are hauling luggage. I would keep whatever you have and take a cab there.

Hertz:238 Atlantic Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11201 (718) 522-0532

Avis: 210 State Street BetweenCourt Street &, Boerum Pl, Brooklyn, NY 11201 (718) 858-4395