Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:08 AM.
Massachusetts
35 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
We're going on the Journey from Scotland, up the Norwegian coast, ending in Denmark. AT&T's international package for use on land doesn't cover service while on board the ship. For that they have a package that offers 50 minutes of voice service for $50, or unlimited for $100.

Does anyone have experience for how well this works aboard the Journey? I spoke with an Azamara phone rep who said he hadn't heard complaints. He also said that instead of buying this through AT&T, we could get it through Azamara once on the ship, but didn't know if the price was the same. I couldn't get a clear answer from him as to whether there would be additional charges from Azamara if we got the package from AT&T.
Oslo - Norway
902 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
At sea, AT&T's international package probably doesn't cover normal service. However, in Norwegian ports, and in most of the fjords, even while on board the ship, I believe your package should be OK - or?

Screwcork
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NORWAY, Caribbean1997
MILLENNIUM, Med 2003
SPLENDOUR OF THE SEA, Med 2003
STAR PRINCESS, Mexican Riviera 2003
STAR PRINCESS, Med 2004
STAR PRINCESS, Baltic Sea 2005
NORWEGIAN JEWEL, Med 2006
EMERALD PRINCESS, Med 2007
NAUTICA, Med 2008
RUBY PRINCESS, Med 2009
CELEBRITY EQUINOX, Med 2010
ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS, Med 2011
NORWEGIAN EPIC, Med 2011
AZAMARA QUEST, Med 2011
BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS, Dubai - Rome 2012 (Suez)
SEABOURN SPIRIT, Med 2012
SEABOURN SOJOURN, Med 2013
AZAMARA QUEST, Med 2013
CORAL PRINCESS, Panama Canal 2014
SILVER SPIRIT,Med 2014
AZAMARA JOURNEY, Med 2015
SEABOURN ODYSSEY, Med 2016
QUEEN ELISABETH, Med 2016
SEABOURN ODYSSEY, Med 2017
AZAMARA QUEST, Med 2018
Florida
35 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
I'm just wondering if you could use the ship's wifi for calls while on board? Switch your phone service to wifi and keep it in airplane mode. It may make sense if you have a wifi package on the Journey or if you've received some free wifi minutes from Azamara as a loyalty reward.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Norwegian Dynasty - Alaska - Aug, 1999
Island Princess - Westbound Panama Canal - Dec, 2015
Royal Princess - Eastern Caribbean Voyager - Nov, 2016
Caribbean Princess - British Isles - Aug, 2017
Crown Princess - Western Caribbean Getaway - Nov, 2017
Celebrity Equinox - Jazz Fest Cruise - April, 2018
279 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Prior to leaving on the Journey last year I had purchased an AT&T package for Europe for about $60 if I recall correctly. They neglected to tell me it did not cover maritime usage. I got a call from AT&T a day into my cruise where they "kindly" offered to add the maritime package for $100. I had no service issues at all anywhere.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
36 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I'm going on the Journey on Aug. 8th. Yesterday, a friend of mine that cruises a lot told me to install on my phone an app called "WhatsApp", which I did. It allows you to call, text & receive messages on your phone in airplane mode and using the ships Wifi. If you have Messenger, you can also use that.
Orangeville Ontario
1,936 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by dlentz
I'm going on the Journey on Aug. 8th. Yesterday, a friend of mine that cruises a lot told me to install on my phone an app called "WhatsApp", which I did. It allows you to call, text & receive messages on your phone in airplane mode and using the ships Wifi. If you have Messenger, you can also use that.

Used WhatsApp on our cruise in the Med in June with the ship’s wifi. It was fine and, at times, we were even able to use video calling.

I believe the OP’s cruise is at least partly in Norway so there may some issues with signal strength in that location.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums