Shore Excursions on Avalon Amsterdam to Budapest cruise?

jbeuks

We're doing this cruise in September 2018, and plan to spend a few days in Amsterdam beforehand, and in Vienna after the cruise ends. We'd like to know what excursion options Avalon will be offering in those two cities, in addition to the "city tour" mentioned in the general itinerary, which I assume are essentially drive-bys of the primary sites. Do you actually go into any site on those tours? What extra-price options does Avalon offer for the "free time" that the itinerary mentions in each city? Thanks for any info.

We did an Avalon cruise ending in Amsterdam last year. If I remember correctly they offered a trip to Zaanse Schans. We skipped their tour and did that one on our own taking the train. They also offered a bike excursion. The participants walked off the ship and got their bikes and took the free ferry across the river and biked into the rural areas north of the city. Everybody who took it seemed to enjoy it. Finally, the offered a walking tour of the red light district during the evening. Again, that's easily done on one's own. The ship will probably be docked just west of Centraal Station, and it's an easy walk or tram ride to the district.

If you're interested, I can send you a document on Amsterdam attractions three years ago when we spent two days there pre-cruise with two other couples. Send me an email at fuelscience at gmail dot com.

Avalon has daily included excursions at every stop. Sometimes you have a choice between two included excursions. There are also several optionals available along the way. You can find them listed in great detail on their website: avalonwaterways.com

Here's the link to the Excursions for your "Magnificent Europe" Eastbound cruise.

https://www.avalonwaterways.com/river-cruise/magnificent-europe-eastbound/wab/

We've done much of this cruise twice. Once AMS to Zurich (with the Moselle) and once from VIE to AMS. We were going to do Budapest to AMS this year but could not make flights work so we could use miles to fly.

I know you'll have a great time.