For those of you who have been to Cuba on Veendam

Cafabi

Did you have to get a ticket, similar to a tender ticket, to disembark in Havana and/or Cienfuegos? Thanks.

Havana was a dock disembarkation on its maiden voyage to Cuba last Dec 2017. No tenders. No tickets. Though they may disembark those on the HAL excursions first since there are immigration lines to go through once disembarked, plus currency exchange lines. These went very quickly for us, since we were part of a later shore excursion group in the morning

Now I cannot honestly remember if we had tenders in Cienfuegos or not. I do remember lines waiting to get back on the ship and again we had a HAL shore excursion so that took care of any lining up ahead of time.

We had the Best of Havana ( great tour!) and we met in the showroom and were called by tour number, going though immigration/passport control, then a long (but quickly moving) security line. After security we were directed to currency exchange windows (there were many). I asked for small bills when I exchanged my Euro's, but the woman gave me a wad of 20's:( and I didn't feel it a good idea to haggle with her. I guess they don't want you to tip. Many used dollars which were readily accepted by guides, even though they aren't supposed to. We then went downstairs where tour guides were waiting and busses lined up for various tours.

In Cienfuegos we met in the showroom and were called when tenders were ready. At the tender pier we went up steps after disembarking (would be a problem for handicapped passengers) we then lined up for passport visa control. The elderly lady in front of me, when asked by the agent "where is your visa document?" she said "it's on the ship." They did let her continue on, but don't forget the visa document. We then went to the parking lot where the tour busses were waiting. The entire tour system was very efficient, and we were on our way to Trinidad (highly recommended!) There was a dockside market in Cienfuegos, but disappointing.

Passengers doing private tours were directed to get tender tickets. The HAL tours went first.

We were very pleased with our time in Cuba. Hope this helps!

Karen

Thanks for the info and tips. I should have mentioned that we are doing private tours in both ports. I read somewhere that I might need a tender-type ticket to get off in Havana--even though it docks at the pier--perhaps to better manage the immigration lines.

And I realize now that I will obviously need an actual tender ticket in Cienfuegoes due to the...tenders!

Glad to help! I relied on the information Ols Salt provided about their Cuba ports ....made it not so confusing. After returning from the Havana 8 hour tour, we ate dinner and left the ship to walk to the old city. No one stopped us or asked what we were doing, and HAL said they were not in the business of controlling what passengers did ashore.

We are booked to go back to Cuba in 2019 on the Prinsendam, and I think I will look into a private guide for Havana, but use HAL to go to Trinidad from Cienfuegos. The nice thing about the cruise terminal in Havana is that so much history is right across the street within easy walking distance. There were many outdoor restaurants around the old city plazas that looked really enjoyable. My husband pointed out that the next time we go we will know what to expect.

In Cienfuegos the city is a distance from the dock, so exploring is not an option, which is to bad, since the historical area looked fascinating.

Enjoy Cuba and keep an open mind!

Karen

The next compelling Cuba chapter - when will anyone report here the US Dept of Treasury asked for their documentation of their private excursions in Cuba?

Maybe we could run a risk lottery spreadsheet on this? I take the zero risk slot. Any takers for higher numbers?

I can tell you that I will be the first. That's how it seems to go with me. It is like they say with stocks: "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." But the things I like to do on all my travels make it easy for me to do Cuba and be totally above-board.

I can tell you that I will be the first. That's how it seems to go with me. It is like they say with stocks: "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." But the things I like to do on all my travels make it easy for me to do Cuba and be totally above-board.

I agree. I did it totally by the rules too. Last thing I would want from a vacation is a self-inflicted worry for the next five years by intentionally going against the well-publicized US regulations. Who needs it. What we needed was more time in Havana.

• 2 weeks later...
For those of you who were just there, are there vendors set up on the dock so that you can browse but not be expected to take a people to people excursion to be able to get off the ship onto Cuban soil?

There is a gift shop in the Havana port facility and shops set up at the tender dock. There are no barriers other than Dept of Treasury regulations against stepping outside the terminal and into a very lovely square right oppposite the ship in Havana and having a good stroll along souvenir tables in Cienfeugos - where someone offers hand carved and brightly painted "old cars" for sale. In the Havana port there is a general souvenir shop and a separate cigar and coffee products shop.

Ship stores carried a limited array of "99% Cuba" items ,but at very high prices - one hopes some of that gets back to the Cubans themselves. I assumed the 99% logo referred to it being made from 99% Cuban sources - like recycled plastic bags.