Live From Holland America Line: Is Koningsdam a Good Ship for Families?

LauraS

Sorry to be the opposite voice of the majority but we have chosen to sail HAL BECAUSE of Club Hal with our two children starting when they were 7 and 10. Best kids club at sea in my opinion. We have tried a number of main stream cruise lines and some smaller boutique ones. The boutique lines are fine but we are in charge of our children there. Disney (kids hated it as it was too crowded and was just a free for all glorified daycare), Princess allowed the kids (not mine) to run wild as the kids club closed as there were not enough children onboard to warrant its operation. The children on board made their own fun which was no fun for anyone over aged 10 but parents or staff did nothing to control them. I am talking about running over furniture while people were seated, using super soakers as people exited elivators, running down the stairs and if you fell well that was your problem.

Club Hal has a program run with dedicated child workers who participate with the children. This is a huge distinction. If a child just wants entertainment or to get lost in the crowd then Club Hal is not the cruse line for them. But if they love scheduled activities that includes, sports, arts and crafts, education on the location, fun stuff for kids like ice cream socials, pyjama pmovie party, make your own breakfast in the culinary arts center, etc, then look into Club Hal.

Our two always chose Holland America over any other cruise line because it allows us a great mix of family time and fun with new friends.

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken 3 kids on two HAL cruises, 11 days on Noordam and 14 days on Koningsdam. My kids love the kids club on HAL and wanted to spend every available minute there. The first cruise they were 6, 8 and 11. The second cruise they were 9,11 and 14. My kids love the smaller number of kids, makes them feel like they are really connecting with the other kids. They like knowing them and saying hi ti them as they see them around the ship. My teen even had the pleasure of hanging out with the captain's son on the Koningsdam. The kids club counselors we have experienced are great and really interested in the kids. We have found other passengers enjoy seeing the younger kids on board as well as long as they are well behaved. HAL is a favorite cruise line for us because of the laid back pace. Time to just relax and spend time together. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more offered on sea days though.