Decision help

Calvin153

landing in ft Lauderdale at 8:30 am for Aug 6 carnival cruise out of Miami. Originally planned to fly in same day since ship doesn't leave till 4 but others say go in early just in case. Flight arrives too early to get a hotel in ft Lauderdale (a friend plans on dropping her luggage and sitting on the beach to the room is ready but no way my husband can do that) I'm thinking get a room in Miami that shuttles to the port? If so, best way to get there from ft Lauderdale? Beach hotel with shuttle recommendation? He can't sit on the beach but I can! 😎 or stick with original plan? We are only flying from NC so nothing major.

Any reasonable hotel will be happy to hold your bags until your room is ready; pack a swim suit in your carry on bag and enjoy the pool or beach. :cool:

Your best bet for the beach is probably a hotel in the FLL area or Miami Beach. http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area hotel and tourist info. In downtown Miami check out the Doubletree on Bayshore - the pool there is amazing! :D

I would use Uber or Lyft to get from FLL area to Miami Beach/Miami if that's where you decide to stay - fare for the car should be about $35+ If you choose a hotel in the FLL area the same Uber/Lyft fare will get you to POM the morning of your cruise.

Do not focus on hotels offering "free" port shuttles - you'll wind up isolated out near the MIA airport. :( None of the downtown Miami or Miami Beach hotels offers "free" POM shuttles, but Uber/Lyft are easy ;)

Good luck with your planning.

Thank you...

"Any reasonable hotel will be happy to hold your bags until your room is ready; pack a swim suit in your carry on bag and enjoy the pool or beach. clear.png?emoji-cool-1690"

Can you find me one that will hold my husband? 🤣

I guess I'll look in Lauderdale and transport to port following day or stick with same day....sigh.

What does your husband want to do? Sit in the hotel room? Any hotel will hold your bags.

As for what to do. If you are focused on a beach hotel anything in the area is fine from Ft. Lauderdale down to Miami Beach and South Beach if that is your #1 priority is to be on the beach. Don't look into a hotel with shuttle, its worthless and is a waste to limit your options. I am not aware of any beach side hotels that have a shuttle anyway.

You could also look into hotels in the Downtown Miami/Brickell area, which is very close to the port and close to other things to do other than the beach.

Uber/Lyft is by far the best way to get from FLL to a hotel in any of those areas. Then from there take an Uber/Lyft to the port. If you are in Downtown/Brickell the Uber/Lyft is a very quick and cheap ride. Pretty quick from South Beach too.

"What does your husband want to do? Sit in the hotel room?"

Actually, yeah. He likes kicking back and watching TV, drives me crazy which is why I want beach front:)

He will enjoy the cruise once we are there but he's a mountain guy, not a beach guy. Although, to be fair, I will be rousting him at 3 am and he does like his sleep. Thanks!