Avalong Mekong River - April 2019.

Rebel54

Well ... apparently there is some craziness happening in Myanmar and all of Avalon's 2019 sailings have been cancelled....so they are working on transferring me over to the Mekong cruise (19 day). April 4th is our departure date.

Is there any difference in the south and north bound itineraries?

Now to start research all over again.

Well ... apparently there is some craziness happening in Myanmar and all of Avalon's 2019 sailings have been cancelled....so they are working on transferring me over to the Mekong cruise (19 day). April 4th is our departure date. Is there any difference in the south and north bound itineraries? Now to start research all over again.

As detailed below on my live/blog, you can see many pictures and read the details for what we did last month on the Mekong River. We did the north-bound sailing. Why? We believed, and it worked well for us, in having Siem Reap and Angkor Wat be the "frosting on the cake" after doing this river sailing. No other major difference. That was our reason why we pick the north-bound routing. Other questions and needs?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Thank you :). I believe we are on the northbound now...waiting for my TA to sort out the details. I'm disappointed that our Myanmar cruise is off but this should be an amazing trip. I have read your post which helps me with the excitement level for this change.

Thank you :). I believe we are on the northbound now...waiting for my TA to sort out the details. I'm disappointed that our Myanmar cruise is off but this should be an amazing trip. I have read your post which helps me with the excitement level for this change.

There is a separate thread on this. Avalon has cancelled all of their 2019 Irrawaddy trips due to low booking, which I am sure is, at least partly, due to the situation with the Rohingya moslems in Myanmar.

Wonderful to hear that my live/blog posts have helped to build up the "excitement level" for doing the Mekong River adventure. Be sure to maximize and do as much as is possible for both pre- and post-river cruise options at these key locations in Southeast Asia. Just post on my liv/blog and I will be happy to answer any additional questions, provide for your addd info interests, etc.

Am planning now on a Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania. This will include two days for Luxor in Egypt. Have always wanted to visit this historic area, but there have been recent "ups and downs" as to when is best and safe for exploring in that part of the world.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

I wish that we had more time to add a bunch of things and more days but we both have to get back to work. He just retired from the Navy and started a civilian job so he's limited on time off. I only get so much time off too. Otherwise I would have booked the 29 day trip and stayed over there for a while.. :).

Confirmed we are on the Northbound trip which I like. Looking at the cost of flights from Hawaii to Hanoi and that seems to be cheaper than the flight from Hawaii to Thailand. That's a bonus.