Celebrity Mercury-Royal Suite or 2 Ocean View Cabins

Lainey Elizabeth

We are going to Alaska in June 2005 on the Mercury and are going back and forth between two oceanview cabins and a royal suite for 3 adults. The Royal suite is a couple hundred dollars more per person, but that isn't really a deciding factor. Our only other cruise was on the Carnival Pride, and although we didn't use the balcony alot we enjoyed having it. On the other hand we are a little concerned about the Royal Suite having only one bathroom. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks!:)

This is for three adults? Personally, I would choose the Royal Suite in a heartbeat over two ocean-views. You will experience a huge difference in the luxury factor in a suite. Here's what you get with a Royal Suite:

"Royal Suite

Deck: Penthouse

Royal Suites RS feature a separate bedroom with two lower beds that convert to one queen-sized bed, 22-inch interactive TV, private veranda, living room with 29-inch interactive TV with VCR, audio system, CD player and tape deck, individually controlled lighting system, private bathroom with tub and shower, 100% Egyptian cotton towels, complimentary use of Frette bathrobes, minibar, direct-dial telephone and voicemail, thermostat-controlled air-conditioning, individual safe, hairdryer, and 24-hour room service. Celebrity's Suite Indulgences include welcome champagne, priority embarkation/disembarkation, personalized stationery, express luggage delivery, dining room seating preference, private portrait seating, opportunity to book in-suite massage, complimentary use of Thalassotherapy pool, 100% Egyptian cotton oversized bath towels, duvet with cover, and a Celebrity tote bag. Celebrity's Butler Service includes assistance with unpacking/packing, in-suite lunch and dinner service, full breakfast, daily evening hors d'oeuvres, in-suite afternoon tea service, complimentary espresso and cappuccino, daily news delivery, shoeshine service, and delivery of board games upon request. Approximately 537-sq.-ft. suite and 94-sq.-ft. veranda."

Here's what you get with even the largest oceanview cabin:

"Family Oceanview Stateroom FO feature two lower beds that convert to one queen-sized bed, panoramic window, sitting area, private bathroom with shower, 100% Egyptian cotton towels, complimentary use of bathrobes, minibar, 20-inch interactive TV, VCR, direct-dial telephone and voicemail, thermostat-controlled air-conditioning, individual safe, hairdryer, and 24-hour room service. Approximately 210-sq.-ft. stateroom."

The butler service itself is easily worth the price difference! For the level of luxury you'll get in the Royal Suite, I would think having 3 people share the bathroom is a trivial inconvenience.

Have a great cruise -- I did Mercury to Alaska last year, and loved it. If ONLY I could have been in a Royal Suite!

LeeAnne

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that if its only a few hundred per person, I would take the Royal Suite. Those suites are fabulous all around. We just made the decision to take a Sky Suite instead of the Royal Suite for the 2 of us, but the price is about half, and we don't, much to my husband's dismay, do not have the extra cash lying around to justify the extra $5000 plus. being in a suite like the RS is a special kind of luxury that you can't come close to approximating by taking 2 of any kind of cabin. The one thing is though, who are the 3 adults. There is a bedroom for 2. The other person would have to sleep in the living room.

I will also be on Mercury in June with my family. We have 2 boys 14 and 11 at the time of our cruise. We are booked in a royal suite also. They informed me at the time of the booking that they can bring in a roll-away bed if the couch is too cramped. I hope this is true. We originally booked a sky suite, but opted for the Royal suite for the privacy of the bedroom. Nancy

Archived