Florence on a Sunday, What to do?

I have a port day in Florence on the Wind on July 4th, are the shops closed on sunday? will it be a waste to venture into Florence if I am going just to go (i've been many time before).

Thanks!

Most major shops are closed in Italy on Sundays, and probably throughout central Europe. Instead of going to Florence (you can still go for the tourist sites, of course), may be you can try Pissa. There is not much in Liverno (where ships usually dock) either. I hope this helps. Perhaps GoEurope can give a more detailed answer!

Florence's historic center is livelier on a Sunday than you might think--and a lot of shops were open the last time I was there on a Sunday. And there are plenty of historic places to visit.

Still, given the distance between the port and Florence, I'd agree that Pisa might be a better bet--even on a weekday. Save Florence for a trip when you can enjoy the city without looking at your watch and thinking about the long ride back to the ship.

--
Durant Imboden
Europeforvisitors.com

Thanks! Is actually pretty limited, I wanted to do the excursion to Lucca but that is not being offered, looks like Pisa and Florence are it.

Thanks!

JT

Archived