Port Canaveral - embarkation & self-assist debarkation

mcarney

Hi ...

We usually go out of Charleston and their wheelchair/handicapped assistance is wonderful, but we will be cruising out of PC this summer ... it will be my elderly dad, boyfriend and his son. We always carry our luggage on - planning on packing my dad's stuff and mine in just 1 bag for ease.

We will be parking at the port ... and wheelchair assistance is notated on our file (we are also platinum) - so expecting a wheelchair once we get to the terminal .. how/what is the process for check in - boarding (will a Carnival staff member wheel dad up to our room like they do in Charleston?) ... secondly, we always do self-assist ... how/what is the process for wheelchair assistance for self-assist debarkation? Will Carnival staff pick dad up at our room and wheel him down to customs?

Thank you very much!

Marianne

There is no wheelchair self-assist. Self assist means just that: you don't need any assistance. If you need a wheelchair to debark, you are instructed to take him to a certain lounge to await assistance. On checking in (You are all platinum? All cabins?) I would drive as close to the terminal as possible and drop off Dad and others and then park the car. At the entrance tell them you need a wheelchair, and they will get one. You go through the document check, then security, and then are directed to the platinum lounge to wait for your cards. He may have to leave the wheelchair there for a while (there is seating) until they call you and take you to boarding. Since you are platinum and can go directly to your cabins, they might wheel him there. EM

what Line? this is for Royal:

you cannot do wheelchair assist for self disembarkation.. you must be able to do stairs and all your luggage alone without ANY assistance.

as general rule WC assistance for embarkation is first come first served, and you will be brought to a public area and dropped off. cabins are NOT available until 1 pm. you can only take carry on luggage aboard, nothing full size as they go through the same scanners as airports do.

There is no wheelchair self-assist. Self assist means just that: you don't need any assistance. If you need a wheelchair to debark, you are instructed to take him to a certain lounge to await assistance. On checking in (You are all platinum? All cabins?) I would drive as close to the terminal as possible and drop off Dad and others and then park the car. At the entrance tell them you need a wheelchair, and they will get one. You go through the document check, then security, and then are directed to the platinum lounge to wait for your cards. He may have to leave the wheelchair there for a while (there is seating) until they call you and take you to boarding. Since you are platinum and can go directly to your cabins, they might wheel him there. EM

Hmmm ... so, could I not have my bag and they wheel dad down? My boyfriend and his son could do self assist and go get the car I suppose.

As far as boarding, my PVP and special needs are already aware and have notated wheelchair assistance, so they will have one waiting on us there. Hopefully they do wheel him - I would presume they stay with the chair until the guest is set ... Charleston was great ... wheelchair waiting at terminal, wheeled through special lines for check in, wheeled on through crews entrance and up elevators to our room.

My boyfriend and I are platinum (2 rooms)

what Line? this is for Royal:

you cannot do wheelchair assist for self disembarkation.. you must be able to do stairs and all your luggage alone without ANY assistance.

as general rule WC assistance for embarkation is first come first served, and you will be brought to a public area and dropped off. cabins are NOT available until 1 pm. you can only take carry on luggage aboard, nothing full size as they go through the same scanners as airports do.

Oops ... sorry, this is Carnival

Hmmm ... so, could I not have my bag and they wheel dad down? My boyfriend and his son could do self assist and go get the car I suppose.

As far as boarding, my PVP and special needs are already aware and have notated wheelchair assistance, so they will have one waiting on us there. Hopefully they do wheel him - I would presume they stay with the chair until the guest is set ... Charleston was great ... wheelchair waiting at terminal, wheeled through special lines for check in, wheeled on through crews entrance and up elevators to our room.

My boyfriend and I are platinum (2 rooms)

Though wheelchair assistance is marked in the booking there will be no wheelchair waiting for you on embarkation day upon arrival at the terminal. ALL wheelchair assistance whether pre-noted in the booking or not is done on a first come first basis. You hit it lucky in Charleston or arrived after boarding had begun. Upon arrival that terminal approach the nearest cruise line representative. You father's name will be placed on a list and he will than be directed to a waiting area until a wheelchair and attendant is available. Once a wheelchair/attendant is available you'll father will be taken through the check-in. If boarding hasn't begun you father will be taken to yet another waiting area and transfered into a seat . Once boarding has begun all those in the waiting area will again be serviced based on a first come first served basis.

On disembarkation day there is NO wheelchair assistance provided for self -disembark. If you want your father to self-disembark than you need to bring a wheelchair from home and plan to have either you or your boyfriend wheel your father off. Wheelchair assistance is only provided on disembarkation for non self-disembark. Your father will have to go to the wheelchair assistance area that will be published in the newsletter left in the cabin the night before. Wheelchair assistance will be done in the order and estmated embarkation on the luggage tag number pre-assigned to your father. He will not be allowed to get ahead of others on the list because you and your boyfriend have already self-disembarked and prehaps already taken his luggage off. Therefore if you don't bring a wheelchair from home than it's best you all disembark through the standard process and not do self-disembark.

Thank you ... We always get to port early and have never had a problem with wheelchair assistance ... but that is Charleston ... I suppose PC will be a new experience as far as handicapped boarding/debarkation goes ... of course, I'll talk with GS and make any necessary arrangements ... if we have to disembark by zone .. no biggie, we should be #1 or 2 depending on how many diamonds there are