Opinions on pride out of Baltimore for spring break

Canadianmama3

Now hubby wants to come on our next cruise after all. So that makes 5 of us needing 2 cabins so I'm starting from scratch in my research.

I was originally looking at an August cruise out of a Florida port because airfare during spring break would be too high. But now I'm thinking of one out of Baltimore during march break because we could drive. We would save around $1700 (possibly more) by getting 2 obstructed view balcony cabins on the pride versus. Flying and getting one balcony and one inside on one of the august cruises from Florida I was looking at (various ships).

Now the pride will only go the Bahamas, versus different ports (grand Turk, amber cove, st Thomas and Puerto Rico). But it also avoids hurricane season.

Opinions? I'm torn between ports of call, and the money and weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Now hubby wants to come on our next cruise after all. So that makes 5 of us needing 2 cabins so I'm starting from scratch in my research.

I was originally looking at an August cruise out of a Florida port because airfare during spring break would be too high. But now I'm thinking of one out of Baltimore during march break because we could drive. We would save around $1700 (possibly more) by getting 2 obstructed view balcony cabins on the pride versus. Flying and getting one balcony and one inside on one of the august cruises from Florida I was looking at (various ships).

Now the pride will only go the Bahamas, versus different ports (grand Turk, amber cove, st Thomas and Puerto Rico). But it also avoids hurricane season.

Opinions? I'm torn between ports of call, and the money and weather.

If I'm choosing to cruise between a March cruise during spring, and a cruise in August during "hurricane season" i'm choosing August.....Cruising the Pride again in less than 3 weeks...

If I'm choosing to cruise between a March cruise during spring, and a cruise in August during "hurricane season" i'm choosing August.....Cruising the Pride again in less than 3 weeks...

Why would you choose august over march? I'm not scared of hurricane season. I know they will divert us if needed, I was thinking of the money and maybe less really hot, humid and rainy weather.

Why would you choose august over march? I'm not scared of hurricane season. I know they will divert us if needed, I was thinking of the money and maybe less really hot, humid and rainy weather.

Though I think a cruise out of Baltimore in March over spring break could be less "insane" over say a 3 nighter out of Miami, I'd not take that chance. Also, weather in March can be iffy. Though it was on our way back to Baltimore a few years ago, we experienced snow and very cold temps coming up the bay. If I was cruising in March, I'd cruise at least from a southern port. Heck, we cruised out of NJ/NY this past May and had cold temps, and we like May as a month to cruise.

As for the weather, rainy can happen anytime...alot of talk on here about storm and traveling in hurricane season, we never give it a second thought....I think next month is our 3rd during "hurricane season" not a worry...be what its going to be...

However the dollars....that could be to me a more determining factor

Though I think a cruise in March over spring break could be less "insane" over say a 3 nighter out of Miami, I'd not take that chance. Also, weather in March can be iffy. Though it was on our way back to Baltimore a few years ago, we experienced snow and very cold temps coming up the bay. If I was cruising in March, I'd cruise at least from a southern port. Heck, we cruised out of NJ/NY this past May and had cold temps, and we like May as a month to cruise.

As for the weather, rainy can happen anytime...alot of talk on here about storm and traveling in hurricane season, we never give it a second thought....I think next month is our 3rd during "hurricane season" not a worry...be what its going to be...

However the dollars....that could be to me a more determining factor

Thanks for the input. I've read enough to know not be freaked out by hurricane season, more thinking of hear and humidity. And really the cost savings were the big thing. $1700 could pay a good chunk of another cruise lol. But that also means a 9 hour drive.

I would love a cruise leaving from the south in march but flights are crazy.

You bring up a good point with the colder weather though. But I'm hoping it' would still be warmer then it is here in Ontario lol.

Thanks for the input. I've read enough to know not be freaked out by hurricane season, more thinking of hear and humidity. And really the cost savings were the big thing. $1700 could pay a good chunk of another cruise lol. But that also means a 9 hour drive.

I would love a cruise leaving from the south in march but flights are crazy.

You bring up a good point with the colder weather though. But I'm hoping it' would still be warmer then it is here in Ontario lol.

Oh...my bad...Ontario...eh....I take it back...that day I mentioned could have been balmy compared to what you probably have up there!! It was funny though sitting out in the serenity area....semi-bundled up and getting snowed on!!

The Pride is a great ship - we took my niece and 2 nephews last summer and they enjoyed the ship and everything to do (and eat) onboard.

March is always iffy but living in Canada, all weather is iffy (including this summer - some days stinking hot, some days cool like fall, and lots of rain). It's a chance but for $1700, it's a chance I'd take.

Has any one cruises on that ship in March. I am concerned about the potential of a lot of college and university spring breakers.

We were scheduled to cruise in March on the Pride and had to cancel but two couples we know went and said they would never cruise again during Spring Break. They said they never could get a spot in the hot tubs, and a lot of high school/college kids so was above the norm as far as that goes. We've cruised the Pride twice and booked her again this January and love the ship, but won't go during Spring Break, but we are able to be flexible on when we cruise. Leaving from Baltimore in cold weather doesn't concern us either. Happy Cruising :cool:

We were scheduled to cruise in March on the Pride and had to cancel but two couples we know went and said they would never cruise again during Spring Break. They said they never could get a spot in the hot tubs, and a lot of high school/college kids so was above the norm as far as that goes. We've cruised the Pride twice and booked her again this January and love the ship, but won't go during Spring Break, but we are able to be flexible on when we cruise. Leaving from Baltimore in cold weather doesn't concern us either. Happy Cruising :cool:

That's what I was afraid off. While I don't mind kids and teenagers (our kids will be 17, 15 and 7). I know many kids are not as respectful as ours and can run wild. And we're not looking for a cruise that's over run with teenagers and young adults (i could handle little kids lol).

Out time to cruise is now limited to spring break or the summer due to the kids in high school.

I do miss the time that I could just take them out for a week lol. Maybe we will stick with August. But march would have had me cruising so much sooner [emoji20]

We sailed on the Pride out of Baltimore in February a couple of years ago. It was a different cruise because of the colder weather the 1st day down and the last day back. But, we ended up playing more games together as a family and enjoying inside venues. Sailing under the bridge at night was a spectacular sight (it's still still too light when sailing under it in the summer). Would love sailing out of Baltimore more often since we can drive to the port. Nevertheless, the Bahamas ports are nowhere near as good as the other Caribbean ports.

From a fellow Ontarian:

I've taken March break cruises out of both New York and Baltimore. This New Year's we're doing the Pride from Baltimore. The first day will be cooler weather but will be warmer as you head south. We're good with that because it gives us time to get used to it. If you like the pool area, they will have the roof closed. Lots of Canadian kids (about 75% were from Canada, in fact we met one family that lives in our neighbourhood.) The ports aren't exciting but we go on the winter cruises just to relax so we stay on the ship. Also, the savings from the flights makes a huge difference. It means we can also do another vacation sometime else in the year.

From a fellow Ontarian:

I've taken March break cruises out of both New York and Baltimore. This New Year's we're doing the Pride from Baltimore. The first day will be cooler weather but will be warmer as you head south. We're good with that because it gives us time to get used to it. If you like the pool area, they will have the roof closed. Lots of Canadian kids (about 75% were from Canada, in fact we met one family that lives in our neighbourhood.) The ports aren't exciting but we go on the winter cruises just to relax so we stay on the ship. Also, the savings from the flights makes a huge difference. It means we can also do another vacation sometime else in the year.

Ok this makes me feel a little better. It's gonna be a tough choice lol.

Just a quick FYI - The rules for when schools start in Maryland change this year, and a lot of school systems in the state are consequently cutting deep into spring break. My wife (a teacher) essentially doesn't have a spring break this year. Obviously this won't affect how many non-Maryland kids are on ship, but considering the ship does leave from Maryland I think that would cut into how many local kids are onboard.

That's what I was afraid off. While I don't mind kids and teenagers (our kids will be 17, 15 and 7). I know many kids are not as respectful as ours and can run wild. And we're not looking for a cruise that's over run with teenagers and young adults (i could handle little kids lol).

Out time to cruise is now limited to spring break or the summer due to the kids in high school.

I do miss the time that I could just take them out for a week lol. Maybe we will stick with August. But march would have had me cruising so much sooner [emoji20]

August will have loads of kids as well. We sailed the Pride in July and August last summer - both weeks were full of families and kids.

The benefit to March is not everyone has the same week off for March break.

Has any one cruises on that ship in March. I am concerned about the potential of a lot of college and university spring breakers.

We were on the Pride March 26, 2017 sailing out of Baltimore. It was another of several of our Pride cruises. Weather was fantastic, and if there were Spring Breakers on the ship, we didn't notice them. We had a great time.

So hubby and I made a decision and we are going to book the pride over march break. It was a tough decision. But we decided it gets us on vacation sooner, it will be nice to get a break from the cold, and since we don't have to fly we can use the savings to book another cruise in the future. :)

So now I'm off to choose cabins and check prices on various sites.

I'm thinking of 2 adjacent, obstructed view balcony cabins. Can most of the balcony dividers on the pride be opened?

• 9 months later...
So hubby and I made a decision and we are going to book the pride over march break. It was a tough decision. But we decided it gets us on vacation sooner, it will be nice to get a break from the cold, and since we don't have to fly we can use the savings to book another cruise in the future. :)

So now I'm off to choose cabins and check prices on various sites.

I'm thinking of 2 adjacent, obstructed view balcony cabins. Can most of the balcony dividers on the pride be opened?

How was it? We are booked to go this upcoming Spring break the end of April with our 3 girls!

I have not been over spring break but have been 1st week after school got out. A ton of college kids on board, they were not bad just took up all the room in pool and were very, very load. Worst cruise ever and I have been on about 35. We are going out of Balt. on Pride in Jan. for 14 days. can't wait our favorite ship.