Advise on Excursions for St Thomas & St Martin

Martini60

Can anyone advise as to which island (St Thomas or St Martin) would be better for a full day snorkel excursion. I have been reading the tripadvisor reviews on both and can't decide, they both seem great. We would like to spend one day snorkeling and the other at a nice beach where we can relax, swim, snorkel and have lunch. We probably will not book these tours through the cruise line, but will book with a private tour. Any input would be great!

My vote is for St John (Trunk Bay). Take Red Hook Ferry from St Thomas to St John.

Trunk Bay is beautiful and has a great snorkeling trail (great for those that are new to snorkeling).

Go to the Caribbean Board for great info on St Thomas and St Maarten

Another option for St. Thomas is Horizon Day Sails. Just did that in Feb. THey take you to St. John to one of the bays to snorkel, then fix lunch while you're in the water. You eat a wonderful lunch, drinks, etc., then go to another place to snorkel after lunch. The price was $80/person but well worth it. It was about 6-7 hours, I think, and the boat was a 65-foot sloop. We had about 15 people onboard, so it wasn't crowded. The crew (2 guys) were great. I reviewed it for Trip Advisor and have friends down there right now going on it. Can't beat Orient Beach in St. Martin or Maho Beach (where the planes fly over the beach as they're landing). We rented a car that day and went to both. St. Martin is easy to get around in. Hope this helps.

My vote is for St John (Trunk Bay). Take Red Hook Ferry from St Thomas to St John.

Trunk Bay is beautiful and has a great snorkeling trail (great for those that are new to snorkeling).

Go to the Caribbean Board for great info on St Thomas and St Maarten

This is the best advice. We have done it as we have been to St John several times and did a cruise ship since and did the tour ourselves.

Get off the ship as soon as it docks. Take a taxi to Red Hook (about 15-20 minutes away, depending on traffic).

Then purchase tickets to St John (Cruz Bay). Make sure you get the right ferry (ask them) as some go to the British Virgin Islands. They run about every half hour if I remember correctly. The ferry is about 20 minutes.

We rented a jeep for the day right at the dock. But a taxi can take you.

You will get there ahead of the huge group of tours from all the cruise ships. We snorkeled, enjoyed the morning and left as the crowds appeard and then we went to another beach to snorkel where it was not as crowded and then returned the car rental and went back the ship only to stop and do some shopping.

You will get to see and do so much more if you do it on your own.

Bob

Archived