1st Disney Cruise with 4.5 y/o and 17 mo old - TIPS/ADVICE?

alpha1phi

This will be our first Disney Cruise and we will be traveling with a very busy 4.5 y/o and 17 mo old.

Any tips on things to bring/buy ahead of time?

Full size stroller vs umbrella stroller? I've heard there's not really places to "park" strollers around the boat. but I'm concerned with hauling the baby/diaper bag/other misc items PLUS a toddler...esp when getting on/off the boat.

Should we bring our sons puddle jumper swim vest or just rent there?

Any excursions you'd recommend? or are we better off just playing at the beach?

Any MUST do activities on the boat? i.e. are there character meet/greets?

Any other tips/tricks/ways to help this trip go smoothly would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

i'm getting on board your thread as we'll have a 5 year old, 3 year old and 1 year old with us next summer (our grandkids, along with the parents and aunt and uncle)..

it may help people answering your question to know which ship are you going on and for how many days...

It sounds like you have not done much research on the DCL web site concerning a DCL cruise.

Children under 3 can only go to the Oceaneer's Club during Open House hours (with a parent). Otherwise, their only "drop off" is the nursery which costs $9 per hour for the first child. Kids 3 and up can go to the OC where there are lots of activities. There are also "family" activities around the ship, which anyone can attend--kids must have a parent.

I would suggest that you use an umbrella stroller on the ship. As you implied, you are required to store your "stuff" in your cabin. You cannot park a big stroller in the hall. On the other hand, if you want a large stroller for an excursion, you can borrow one from Guest Services. They have more than 100, but it is "first come, first served." They put a $200 charge on your account an remove the charge when you return the stroller. DO look at your account to be sure it was removed. On Castaway Cay, there are wagons just after you get off the ship. These are also free for the day--if you see one you can take it with no sign out or anything. Again, limited in number, but they have a lot.

There are life vests in kid sizes at the pools and at Castaway Cay which are available at no cost (you don't rent them, you just use them. No diapers, including swim diapers, are permitted in the pools. Untrained kids can use the splash area (as can older kids and parents).

There are tons of meet and greets. You didn't say which ship or length of cruise. On some cruises (at least 7 nights) there is a character breakfast--free but must sign up when your registration window opens. There are also a few meet and greets that require a ticket--sign up on line when window opens at 75 days before the cruise. These are the Princess Gathering and the Frozen characters. All others are get in line and see the characters. On some sailings, there is an early morning "Wake up with Disney,Jr." dance and exercise activity for little people. Look this up on your Navigator--fun if offered.

Again, it is hard to make recommendations for shore activities since we don't know where you will be going.

Bring--sunscreen, diapers, wipes, everything you do in your "day to day" activities. These things are available for purchase on board, but they are in limited supply and are expensive. Another thought if you are flying is that you have to pay to get to the ship ($35 per person each way for people 3 and over). If you do a one way car rental rather than using DCL transfers, you can stop at Wal-mart, Target, or Publix to buy your necessities on the way to the ship. There is no limit on the luggage you can check in on the ship. I have a collapsible suitcase that works well for this purpose. Of course, you can slap a tag on a package of diapers and have all you need. Or you can take them with you from home and have lots of space in your "going home" luggage. DO NOT over-pack. There is a self service laundry on the ship--$2 to wash, $2 to dry. Bring some Tide Pods or similar. If the kids spill all over their clothes, you can do a load of laundry. For a short cruise, bring what you think you'll need, but don't decide that you should bring a lot "just in case." Also, bring sun hats for the kids.

There are crazy "what to bring" lists on line. In 30 DCL cruises and many on other lines, I've never figured out what some of these things are needed for!

We are into the "don't over-plan" version. Some people like to map out their time in advance. We have a vague idea of what we want to do and then "play it by ear." Kids will mess up whatever you plan anyhow!

Thanks for the info - very helpful!!!

We will be sailing on The Dream, 5 night cruise ship - if that helps in giving further advice!

Is it worth bringing snacks to keep in the room? or will there be plenty of things for us to get onboard that can be taken back to our rooms?

odd question - but what about potty seats or even toppers for toddler vs having to hold him up to prevent him from falling in?

Thanks for the info - very helpful!!!

We will be sailing on The Dream, 5 night cruise ship - if that helps in giving further advice!

Is it worth bringing snacks to keep in the room? or will there be plenty of things for us to get onboard that can be taken back to our rooms?

odd question - but what about potty seats or even toppers for toddler vs having to hold him up to prevent him from falling in?

You'll need to bring your own. There are foldable (travel) ones.

There are kid sized toilets in the Oceaneer's Club. Elsewhere, you'll need to bring your own.

Unless your child has a particular item that they "MUST" have, there is no need to bring snacks. At breakfast you can get single serving packs of cereal, yogurt, etc. (you can keep the yogurt in your fridge. Place a glass of ice in the fridge if it isn't cold enough!) Fruits and veges are available all day, both cut up and whole. You might want to bring a few granola bars or something similar to take on excursions, but you could also use a box of cereal.

Also, if your child has a favorite food that isn't on the menu, talk to your server. It may be possible to get it.

Another odd question. Do they have Whole milk on board? baby still drinks ~ 16oz milk/day. I didn't realize I couldn't bring any diary items on board. I'm assuming Organic is out of the question - but need to at least have whole milk. thanks!!

Another odd question. Do they have Whole milk on board? baby still drinks ~ 16oz milk/day. I didn't realize I couldn't bring any diary items on board. I'm assuming Organic is out of the question - but need to at least have whole milk. thanks!!

Yes, they have whole milk...and skim, 2%, and chocolate....and maybe 1% as well. You'll be able to see the cartons and get what you want from the buffet. Take a couple extras and place the in your stateroom refrigerator along with a glass of ice (that will keep the fridge really cold instead of just sort of cold). The problem is that if you order from room service or even your dining room server, you can't be totally sure what you'll get. The language issues, etc. do come into play. Whereas, if you get it from the buffet, you read the carton and you KNOW what you are getting.

Sometimes the dining servers bring the milk out in a carton and then pour it into a glass, sometimes they pour into a glass in the kitchen.

Yes, 97 people may post that they always got the type of milk that they ordered. All I can say is that we didn't always. Room service was the worst.

It's obviously going to be hot next week...but in the evenings/in AC restaurants - does it get chilly enough that we may need long pants/shirts or light jacket? Thanks! Just trying to figure out what we need!!!

It's obviously going to be hot next week...but in the evenings/in AC restaurants - does it get chilly enough that we may need long pants/shirts or light jacket? Thanks! Just trying to figure out what we need!!!

I always bring a sweater "just in case." Yes, the theatres and the dining rooms can be cool. It often depends on where you are seated in relation to the air vents.