Oceanview Deck 5 vs 9 through 14

lovetotraveltx

We are new to NCL. Taking the breakaway this December. I have an oceanview on Deck 5. For some reason the 1st deck for cabins and not all cabins makes me nervous.Also, there are public areas above deck 5. I've been keeping my eye on prices and they are better today. For $80 more, I can move up to a higher deck, 9 or above with large picture window, they are all forward. I can end up with $20 onboard credit, if I keep my room on deck 5.

Advice from oceanview people. What would you do? Pros and cons please. Thank you!

I took the Gem back in January out of New York. I had an oceanview on 8 in the front, above the theater stage (noise wasn't an issue). I hung out with some people who had oceanview on 4.

That ship is smaller than the Breakaway... we had some rough seas and they said they had quite a show with the waves sometimes going higher than their windows (they were literally below the water at times). They also had smaller windows, maybe portholes. They never mentioned noise from the public areas and were pretty satisfied with their room.

Last winter was pretty rough, hopefully December is a little more calm.

I took the Gem back in January out of New York. I had an oceanview on 8 in the front, above the theater stage (noise wasn't an issue). I hung out with some people who had oceanview on 4.

That ship is smaller than the Breakaway... we had some rough seas and they said they had quite a show with the waves sometimes going higher than their windows (they were literally below the water at times). They also had smaller windows, maybe portholes. They never mentioned noise from the public areas and were pretty satisfied with their room.

Last winter was pretty rough, hopefully December is a little more calm.

Thank you, so you think even far forward, higher is better?

Thank you, so you think even far forward, higher is better?

I've always heard that mid-ship is steadier than front or back. But I've also heard that higher is better than lower! I would evaluate on what's closer to the parts of the ship I want to use most. But I try to avoid the elevators given the amount of food available so I usually try to be up higher so I don't have 10 floor treks.

I've had interiors on the lowest deck in the past and they were fine in terms of steadiness.

I've always heard that mid-ship is steadier than front or back. But I've also heard that higher is better than lower! I would evaluate on what's closer to the parts of the ship I want to use most. But I try to avoid the elevators given the amount of food available so I usually try to be up higher so I don't have 10 floor treks.

I've had interiors on the lowest deck in the past and they were fine in terms of steadiness.

Its the steady part, on the breakway it's the lowest deck of state rooms and restaurants are right above, so more about location on the ship and noise. Thank you

we had a great ov cabin on the Gem in March of this year for a 10 day. we loved it. I was nervous because for some reason i do gravitate toward the higher decks, but this cabin was located near stairs but no noise. the outside "view" was interesting at times(con if that bothers you), especially when the seas were rough getting closer to home (NY) but the movement was not bad at all down thereIpro for sure)! I'm looking at a Feb cruise same basic itinerary for next year and was contemplating deck 8 (close to everything) , but I know I would be totally happy back in my deck 5 cabin!

We are new to NCL. Taking the breakaway this December. I have an oceanview on Deck 5. For some reason the 1st deck for cabins and not all cabins makes me nervous.Also, there are public areas above deck 5. I've been keeping my eye on prices and they are better today. For $80 more, I can move up to a higher deck, 9 or above with large picture window, they are all forward. I can end up with $20 onboard credit, if I keep my room on deck 5.

Advice from oceanview people. What would you do? Pros and cons please. Thank you!

We were very happy with our deck 5 cabin. Easy access to 6/7/8 and to the disembarkation deck at 4. No noise from other levels

I've stayed in Deck 5 oceanview rooms twice. One on Breakaway, one on Getaway. Our options are limited because those are really the only regular (non suite) rooms that accommodate 5 people.

They are low and midship, so you don't feel anything.

On the Breakaway, our room was below some kind of venue/prep area and it was pretty noisy with what sounded like dishes and carts being moved around most of the day (and overnight). On the Getaway I had smartened up and booked a room below the library, which is almost never open (and when it is, it's quiet). The only noise in our room was the clanging of unused closet hangers knocking into one another as the boat moved (I took them down to remedy that problem).

Just look at the deck plans and see what's above your room on 6 - that will give a good idea of how noisy it might be from above.