Orchestra Room 9223

Hplar

We're taking two grandaughters, (ages 12 and 15) with us on the "Kids sail free program" for the Orchestra sailing on 3/7/2009. We've never cruised on MSC and have read many negative posts as well as a few positive ones. We have an aft cabin (9223) with a double sofa sleeper for the girls. Has anyone been in this cabin or a similar one? I just hope the sofa is large enough. From the deck plans it looks like we have a large balcony. From the photos the ship looks great; I can't figure out why so many negative posts. Any info???

I can't tell you specifically about this cabin as I've not been on the Orchestra. however I've been in suites on 2 of their other ships that had the sofa bed. Although we did not convert it into a bed 9 we didn't need to as there were only 2 of us), I can tell you that if the orchestra is the same, then it is a standard sized 2 seater sofa, which should be fine for the girls.

As to negative comments - a lot are about people not likong all the different languages and nationalities onboard (which means the entertainment and activities will not be geared only to English speakers). Some also concern the food (not what people are used to at home and the temperature not always being the hottest). Other complaints are around things not being as expected (and by that I mean people who have experience of cruise lines that cater specifically for the US market and expect all cruise lines to do the same, so when they experience something different, they see it as wrong/don't like it, rather than say we;ll that's different but no big deal) What no one seems to dispute is that the ships are beautiful and spotlessly clean. the Kids sail free promotoon is great and so are the overall prices. So if you all go with an open mind, I'm sure you'll all have fun. the girls might even really enjoy the chance to mix with kids from different countries and experience a bit of Europe without the long haul, expensive flight.

just be prepared to have to buy water at your dinner, and dont let it become an issue...and also maybe the odd cup of coffee. If you accept those things you will have a nice time

I too had read endless bad reviews about this line, but when I went on the msc musica recently for three weeks I really dont know what anyone has to complain about unless they just lurve complaining..which some do sad to say.

the ship and staff and the food were fine and yes perhaps there are better lines but for what I was charged for the ticket..it was great:D

I have the cabin next door 9221 for the week after you so I won't be able to help. Anyone sailing before, we'd love to hear from you. I was told that although the balcony appears bigger on the deck plan, they are all the same size.

Can't beat the kids free program.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, the water flowed freely in the dining room, and there was plenty of free coffee in the morning at breakfast. They also had some of the best iced tea I have tasted... and that is saying a lot coming from a Southerner!

I was on deck 10, superior balcony which has 191 sp ft & nice size balcony. We had a king bed & loveseat. Other family members were in different categories, I believe your in standard balcony, same size bathroom as us, its 161 sq ft w/ less storage. We had a longer vanity w/drawers both sides, they had smaller w/ one side drawers & also no loveseat, chair instead. The balcony was also 10 ft. smaller.

We're taking two grandaughters, (ages 12 and 15) with us on the "Kids sail free program" for the Orchestra sailing on 3/7/2009. We've never cruised on MSC and have read many negative posts as well as a few positive ones. We have an aft cabin (9223) with a double sofa sleeper for the girls. Has anyone been in this cabin or a similar one? I just hope the sofa is large enough. From the deck plans it looks like we have a large balcony. From the photos the ship looks great; I can't figure out why so many negative posts. Any info???

We were on the 1/24/09 cruise with 2 twin 15 year olds. The teen program was excellent and the kids had the time of their lives. The entertainment crew as you will see are very hard working. The ship is very secure and the kids were in the disco every night. We checked it out and there were plenty of ship personnel watching. Now the music in our opinion was to loud but the kids loved it. My wife and I have been on 9 other cruises and found like all other 9 there were things we loved about this cruise and things thar were not in our opinion as good as other cruises. The cabin as all ships are small but enough room for a week with 4 people if everyone picks up and puts away!! Buy the kids their own ship card. It can be used for anything purchsed on the ship. You pay 30 and get 35 dollars of credit. Only catch is tyhe have to use it all no refunds of unused cash but that is easy to do in a week. Water is easy to come by, its free and good. We had pitchers on our table every night. If you have any questions post and I will answer. We never encountered anyone who could not understand what we wanted or who did not do their best to ensure we enjoyed our vacation except some "ugly american passengers" You will love it and so will the kids.

Dave

Cool- we are so excited.

Boca7- do all superior balconies have a king bed? We are cat 11 on floor 12. Last time on RCCL we only had a queen...

King would be best- my dh is a cover hog, and dd likes to give us an early wake up call, by "fighting" with her dd. :eek:

Sorry if this has been addressed, but I read the forum and MSC site and couldn't find an answer. How do I know if I have a superior balcony or standard balcony? I'm in a category 11 on the 11th deck, but darned if I can figure it out. Thanks in advance for your answer.

Sailing on March 28th and can't wait!!

Sorry if this has been addressed' date=' but I read the forum and MSC site and couldn't find an answer. How do I know if I have a superior balcony or standard balcony? I'm in a category 11 on the 11th deck, but darned if I can figure it out. Thanks in advance for your answer.

Sailing on March 28th and can't wait!![/quote']

Category 11 is a Superior Balcony Cabin. The balcony cabins are category 6,7 and 8. Hope this helps!:)

Is there a difference between superior and regular balcony? Sorry if this has been addressed already.

Superiors are a bit larger. If we go by the brochure (not always totally reliable, I have heard!) Superior is approximately 191sf/ regular balcony is app. 164sf. Both have 48sf balconies added to that measurement. So Superior= 239/ regular = 212. Again- posted, brochure measurements;).

We just got off the Orchestra today (review to follow when I get settled). We were in room 9227 and it was a great room, nice and roomy and the cabin steward was fabulous. The back of the ship is a bit noisy (especially when you are docking in port) but the size of the room is well worth it. We had high winds and rough seas for the first 4 nights and slept better than we do at home. The last two nights the seas were calm and we didn't sleep as well!

We had a superior on deck 10...(b2b). The mattresses are pretty soft...I had to request my mattress to be flipped, due to the side of the mattress sagging.

The flipped mattress did not work well....still sagged. I also heard of some other pax saying the same thing, and one person requested a new mattress entirely.

We had to change cabins for the b2b, and the 2nd cabin's mattress had the same problem. It was probably due to people sitting on the side of the bed.

The cabin was nicely appointed, but a little smaller than what we are use to. The balcony was fine for two people, and I liked the chairs and table. We did hear some noise from upper cabins on occasion but not really bad. We had cabins 10115 and 10107.

can anyone tell me about the dress code after 6 pm. Rules say no jeans no shorts no tee shirts etc. Makes no sense to me. Was it enforced? was it enforces for tees and kids? Was it just resaurants and shows. Any insight would be really helpful. we are sailing on MArch 28 in superior balcony level 9

We were on 9 also, Nice floor. Remember if there is something you need ask and they will bring it. Some people don't ask, they yell and complain. An example there was not any wash cloths in our stateroom. We asked the cabin Stewart and had them everyday from that day on. I heard another complaint they didn't have any the entire cruise but never asked.

Dave

Archived