Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:46 PM.
Haymarket, VA
320 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
We were also also on the Dutches this past week, shared many a good meal with Dave. Found the cruise to be very good. It turns out that I met the critic writer several times on the boat, knew he was a writer, but not a critic writer. Looking forward to his article. There is already one about Nashville under the river cruising category.

Dave, see you made it home safely.
Charlotte NC
101 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Just submitted a review of our Duchess cruise, comparing it with our previous Mississippi cruise on American Cruise Line.

vlinbin: Looks like Cruise Critic has to pore over our reviews in their own good time before they will post them. Like you, if this takes too long, I'll just post it here (I saved the text).

njhoo: Glad you made it back to the snowy north OK. When I saw Cruise Critic Chris' post, I guessed it was the young lady who always sat by herself near the entrance. Wrong guess, apparently.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
- S/V Mandalay, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises, Windward Islands & Panama
- M/V Grande Mariner, Blount, Great Lakes & Erie Canal
- M/V Safari Endeavor, UnCruise, Alaska
- M/V Legacy, UnCruise, Colombia & Snake Rivers
- M/V Infante Henrique, CrossiEurope, Portugal
- M/V Glory, American Cruise Lines, Florida

- M/V Safari Voyager, UnCruise, Costa Rica & Panama
- M/V Variety Voyager, Vantage, British Isles

- M/V America, American Cruise Lines, Mississippi River
- M/V American Duchess, American Steamboat Co., Nashville
Planned:
-M/V Constitution, American Cruise Lines, New England
-M/V River Voyager, Vantage, Frankfurt-Budapest
Charlotte NC
101 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
vlinbin, et al: Got an interesting e-mail from Cruise Critic, thanking me for submitting my review, and informing me that after checking my review, they would determine if it was one of the "five reviews we select for posting each month." (Huh?)

With only five per month, looks like it might be a long time, if ever, before our reviews appear.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:

Planned:
Seattle
94 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
I did receive a reply from Cruise Critic regarding the review I submitted about ten days ago. Apparently there is a large volume of submissions and many staff on vacation at the present time. Thus the reviews are taking longer than usual to post.
Seattle
94 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
And .. my interpretation of the five reviews per month mentioned in the response e-mail was not that only five are published per month, but that five are selected as special featured reviews.
Charlotte NC
101 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by vlinbin
My review has been posted at last. This is the link to the review that I was sent.

http://click.email.cruisecritic.com/...0485a786d0c658
Nicely written, lots of info there. Great review!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:

Planned:
Charlotte NC
101 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by DaveinCharlotte
Just submitted a review of our Duchess cruise, comparing it with our previous Mississippi cruise on American Cruise Line.
Cruise Critic has posted the review I submitted. This is the link they sent me:

American Duchess Review by DaveinCharlotte

One embarrassing typo: I described two different complaints as my "biggest gripe." Oops. Meant to describe the second one as my "next biggest gripe..."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:

Planned:
Seattle
94 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
DaveinCharlotte -- found your review very interesting. Having no experience with other cruises on US Rivers, the comparison with another line was very helpful.

What surprised me was that you were cold in many locations. I don't remember experiencing that anywhere, but I tend to dislike heat so maybe just didn't notice. The one time we tried to sit outside at the River Grill, Greenville was being infested with ladybugs. They were everywhere. Thus we quickly went back inside, but not due to the cold.
Charlotte NC
101 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
What surprised me was that you were cold in many locations.
Well, our Duchess cruise was pretty late in the season, December on the Cumberland River. Several mornings were below freezing, and the entire top deck was dismantled and closed. One day they even posted signs saying all outdoor decks were closed, due to slippery ice conditions.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:

Planned:
Jacksonville, FL USA
49,832 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Good morning......thanks for posting those 2 reviews........I am trying to decide about trying a Mississippi River
Cruise.......I have been on a European River Cruise.................

Dave the AMERICAN CRUISE COMPANY sounds like there is more included.......than the AMERICAN QUEEN...........
I will be celebrating a 60th birthday in March..........and I sail solo. I have been on many cruises over the years......
Which one of these companies would you recommend?
Charlotte NC
101 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by Lois R
Dave the AMERICAN CRUISE COMPANY sounds like there is more included.......than the AMERICAN QUEEN...........
I will be celebrating a 60th birthday in March..........and I sail solo. I have been on many cruises over the years......
That's a toughie. ACL's America suits my own situation and personality more than AQSC's American Duchess, but that's just me.

The only AQSC boat I have been on is American Duchess; I have not been on American Queen. American Queen is much larger.

I note that American Duchess has no cabins specifically for Solos, but both American Queen and ACL's America (and its sister ship Queen of the Mississippi) have plenty.

AQSC's American Duchess struck me as an elegant, spacious, and slightly more formal ship. ACL's America had more of a "steamboat" feel, with many comfortable lounges.

Both AQSC and ACL demonstrated an equally high level of overall organization. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

(An afterthought: Despite the relative elegance of American Duchess, it's actually the cheaper of the two, at least on the lower-end of the cabin categories.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:

Planned:
Jacksonville, FL USA
49,832 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
HI Dave, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I will have to give it some more thought.
Seattle
94 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Lois -- as you know I cannot compare the two steamboat lines having been only on the AQSC boat. But, I have done a European River cruise (on Tauck) from Paris (Lyon) to Monte Carlo. I far prefer the AQSC cruise due to the flexibility involved. The Tauck cruise seemed regimented -- everyone ate together in just one restaurant, all went on the same tours (though in small groups of about 30), and the choice of cabin styles was limited. Of course the ports in Europe were more interesting but that has nothing to do with the cruise company. When we went on bus tours of any length, all of the tour buses stopped at the rest stops at the same time-- making lines for the restrooms quite lengthy especially for those on the last bus to pull up.
Jacksonville, FL USA
49,832 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Lois -- as you know I cannot compare the two steamboat lines having been only on the AQSC boat. But, I have done a European River cruise (on Tauck) from Paris (Lyon) to Monte Carlo. I far prefer the AQSC cruise due to the flexibility involved. The Tauck cruise seemed regimented -- everyone ate together in just one restaurant, all went on the same tours (though in small groups of about 30), and the choice of cabin styles was limited. Of course the ports in Europe were more interesting but that has nothing to do with the cruise company. When we went on bus tours of any length, all of the tour buses stopped at the rest stops at the same time-- making lines for the restrooms quite lengthy especially for those on the last bus to pull up.
I LOVED my European River cruise....it was not on Tauck but on AMA Waterways...as for dining, everyone went into
the main dining room at the same time on our cruise too......but that is part of the plan......so not sure we are in
agreement on that part.......I loved the food and service and met some lovely folks throughout the cruise and ate with
some multiple times. Most of our tours had less than 30 people. But of course there are cruises for all of us out
there......glad you enjoyed the American Queen.
Charleston, Charleston Made in Carolina
1,871 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Originally posted by Lois R
Good morning......thanks for posting those 2 reviews........I am trying to decide about trying a Mississippi River
Cruise.......I have been on a European River Cruise.................

I have been on the AMERICAN QUEEN and AMERICAN EMPRESS, and enjoyed t hem both. In fact I have reservations on the AMERICAN QUEEN for early next year. It will be my tenth trip on their boats.

I will not go on any of American Cruise Line boats. Their owner has paid over a half million dollars to Washington, DC lobbyist Blank Rose to prevent Congress from passing legislation to allow the national historic landmark Steamer DELTA QUEEN to operate again on America's rivers. The DELTA QUEEN operated safely from 1927 until 2008 when Congress did not renew her exemption from SOLAS regulations due to her wooden superstructure. If the exemption is renewed investors plan on returning this American icon into service, and I find it unpardonable that American Cruise Line and its paid lobbyist so far have kept this from happening.

Earlier this year the U.S.Senate passed the legislation to allow the DELTA QUEEN to steam once again carrying overnight passengers, but the House's HR 619 still languishes in committee. You can write or call your Representative in Congress to urge the bill's mark up and to place it on the House floor for a full vote by the House.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"When we presently got under way and went poking down the broad Ohio, I became a new being and the subject of my own admiration. I was a traveler!"
Mark Twain
Charlotte NC
101 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by Calliope
Their owner has paid over a half million dollars to Washington, DC lobbyist Blank Rose to prevent Congress from passing legislation to allow the national historic landmark Steamer DELTA QUEEN to operate again on America's rivers.
Trying to dig into this a bit further. Did you mean to say "lobbyist Blank Rome"?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:

Planned:
Charleston, Charleston Made in Carolina
1,871 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Originally posted by DaveinCharlotte
Trying to dig into this a bit further. Did you mean to say "lobbyist Blank Rome"?
Yes, I'm sorry, that is it, Blank Rome; there is nothing rosy about this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"When we presently got under way and went poking down the broad Ohio, I became a new being and the subject of my own admiration. I was a traveler!"
Mark Twain
Jacksonville, FL USA
49,832 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Merry Christmas to all...........

Dave, if you check in here again, I see you have some different cruises than the usual in your signature.........how did you
enjoy the "UNCRUISE"?