Nouveau Restaurant - Carnival Spirit

EliG

Hi :)

My family and I are about to set sail on our first cruise in March aboard the Carnival Spirit. I have a couple of questions regarding Nouveau Restaurant:

1. Are children permitted in this restaurant? And if so, how much is the cover charge for children?

2. In your opinion, is this restaurant worth the $40pp cover-charge?

Thank you for your help!

Hi :)

My family and I are about to set sail on our first cruise in March aboard the Carnival Spirit. I have a couple of questions regarding Nouveau Restaurant:

1. Are children permitted in this restaurant? And if so, how much is the cover charge for children?

2. In your opinion, is this restaurant worth the $40pp cover-charge?

Thank you for your help!

1. Didn't see any children when we dined there last March. Spirit is a family centric ship therefore I would expect children would be welcome.:)

2. This is a personal decision. Some would say no, but if you want to enjoy an occasion to remember your cruise the cost is acceptable.;)

Yes, children are welcome. Was the same price for everyone ($35) when we sailed a few months ago. Our kids (8 & 11) enjoyed the experience but there wasn't much on the menu that was all that kid friendly - especially with the entrees - even though our children eat a lot of different foods and flavours. There were a couple of mains that appealed to them and plenty of desert choices. My advice would be to look at their current menu first and then decide based on what your children may like.

We are sailing on the 24th March cruise and my daughters 5th birthday will be on the second day in so we're going to Nouveau for her birthday. Both kids (4 and 7) eat salads and seafood and meats, have checked the menu and think there will be a few options for them both and we wanted to do it for her birthday as something special :)

We are sailing on the 24th March cruise and my daughters 5th birthday will be on the second day in so we're going to Nouveau for her birthday. Both kids (4 and 7) eat salads and seafood and meats, have checked the menu and think there will be a few options for them both and we wanted to do it for her birthday as something special :)

Our daughter had her 4th birthday on board and we made it special as well. While sleeping we put balloons and streamers around the room and decorated our door. A day before we ordered a cake from the Formalities Shop (deck 3) and ordered a cake. They will have it bought to wherever you like (we chose the Dinning Room and they all sang Happy Birthday to her).

Your kids will have a great time!

How special for her and I bet it's something she'll most likely remember for many years to come. What a fantastic & unique way for your family to celebrate together & so much less expensive than a comparable restaurant at home. Enjoy! :)

• 1 year later...

Carnival is a family ship and there are no restrictions, however this is their one fine dining option where adults can have a really nice meal together. I would certainly not be happy if I paid $40 a head extra only to find the room rampant with littlies. I think the fact there is no kids price or menu is indicative of the market they aim at.

We've been twice in Nouveau restaurant, both times with kids, both times on the first night of the cruise and both times besides our group, there was only two other tables occupied both times by couples.

Our children were well behaved, we paid our money equally for our children... we enjoyed the whole experience, our kids ate the same sized meals as us too, the second time was our Daughters birthday, like others, we organised a cake, after dinner, they bought it out and the entire wait staff, the restaurant manager, and even a few chefs came out and sung her happy birthday.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with Gerko, while they don't advertise kids meals, I'm 100% positive that it is not an anti-kids environment!

Cheers,

Matt

Whilst I'm sure the staff in Nouveau would welcome children, I tend to agree with Gerko in that the restaurant is a fine dining venue designed for adults. If you are confident that your children will tolerate the menu as well as the longer service times that come with this style of dining, then fine. Otherwise I'd stick to the MDR for the birthday celebrations which the staff there will handle wonderfully.

We did the Chef's Table on Spirit and with that there was no question. It was strictly an adults only affair

Our children were well behaved, we paid our money equally for our children... we enjoyed the whole experience, our kids ate the same sized meals as us too, the second time was our Daughters birthday, like others, we organised a cake, after dinner, they bought it out and the entire wait staff, the restaurant manager, and even a few chefs came out and sung her happy birthday.

Hi Mattson, I'm sure your kids were well behaved. In fact, I would hope anyone who takes their kids into Nouveau would be responsible enough to control their kids. Alas, that's not always the case. Not aimed at you, but what some parents think is adorable is just plain annoying to others. And seeing as there is an all-singing, all-dancing birthday celebration virtually every night somewhere in the MDR it would be nice to escape that in Nouveau.

I don't think Nouveau is anti-kids, any more than Tetsuya's restaurant is or Qantas Business Class is. It's just that some people, having paid extra for the comfort, would rather not have kids along. I would not want to spend my nice romantic dinner with my wife glaring at youngsters hopping around the room, and most kids don't have the attention span to sit quietly through a three course meal.. Surely eating out in a cruise ship is enough of a special experience for kids? I'm just not sure a 5yo (as one poster mentioned) is old enough to appreciate the difference anyway. But all this is just my opinion. There is no adults-only rule so people can do as they wish.

Just off the Spirit this morning. Yes, def kids allowed in the Nouveau. Cost was $40pp, however a few of their main meals were on offer each night in the main dining room for a cost of $25.

I took my 11 year old with me for lunch at Nouveau on Carnival Legend and he loved it and said it was the highlight of his cruise so I think kids do realise what a special experience it is to try fine dining. Mind you, I knew he would behave as well as an adult and is happy to sit still and talk quietly for the hour or so that we were there. Lunch might be a good option for your kids. It is available most sea days and is cheaper and quicker than dinner.

On Legend there was a cheap kids option for dinner. I looked into it but discovered that it wasn't the fine dining menu, just regular pasta and icecream etc so don't pick that option. Better to pay the full price and let your kids try lobster if they would like to.

I think a birthday dinner at Nouveau is a lovely idea as long as you are confident your children can sit and behave. Any doubts and I wouldn't take them as you will either end up annoying your fellow diners or stressing yourself out trying to get them to sit still. A good option would be to book the earliest available dining time. You'll have a lovely sunset view while you eat and the restaurant is likely to be empty so you can enjoy without worrying about others. I can't wait to go back and eat there again. I really enjoyed it last time.

Edited by wagtail_syd

Big difference between an 11yo and a 5yo though.

Agreed! I also have a 5 year old and elected not to take her to Nouvaeu as she is a bit of a picky eater and I didn't think she would fully appreciate the experience. As a 'treat' (she didn't know it was just part of the cruise fare) I took her to the sea day brunch in the MDR. She got dressed up, ate a plate of chocolate pancakes the size of her head and was spoilt rotten by the beautiful wait staff. That was plenty for her.

Agreed! I also have a 5 year old and elected not to take her to Nouvaeu as she is a bit of a picky eater and I didn't think she would fully appreciate the experience. As a 'treat' (she didn't know it was just part of the cruise fare) I took her to the sea day brunch in the MDR. She got dressed up, ate a plate of chocolate pancakes the size of her head and was spoilt rotten by the beautiful wait staff. That was plenty for her.

LOL, that's wonderful and I think you are a wise parent. An 11yo can enjoy the experience of a nice restaurant, whereas I'm sure a 5yo is equally as happy with a plate of pancakes the size of her head! Happy cruising.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm sailing in Oct and definitely want to experience this restaurant. Lobster the draw card :)

Can you tell me is it best to do it dinner on sea days or port days or lunch on port days.

I have been to the islands before so would most prob not get off the ship at Nouméa so could do it then.

I was leaning towards evening sitting and was told its best to pre book but I would hate to do that and it would coincide with a show I would like to see or a theme night.

Someone mentioned early sitting would be good also for a sunset.

If I wait until I read the what's on guide for the next day until I decide would it be hard to still get a booking for that following night?

Edited by taffy62

I preferred the dinner menu over the lunch one. There wasn't any lobster on the lunch menu the day we visited and I just liked the dinner options better.

I think an early dinner is a good idea. We chose to eat at Nouveau on a port day for a few reasons:

1. Normally nice and hungry after spending the day swimming and exploring. We usually don't eat much for lunch on port days so plenty of space for a lovely dinner.

2. Less likely to be rough seas.

3. Sail away views.

I think the Noumea sail away is beautiful so if you can time dinner earlier enough for that it would be lovey. We had absolutely no problems booking. The early sitting was almost empty so no need to book more than a day ahead. At least if you choose Noumea and they are fully booked you still have a few sea days left to do dinner.

Oh wow thank you very much never thought about the seas.

I think your right we could have sale away dinner and still enjoy the shows later and I expect the special artists would be on sea nights not port night anyway.

So if we don't get off at Nouméa we can enjoy ship facilities and early shower pre dinner drinks and theme later if on :)