Barbados: 50th Birthday; Our Pix's, Experiences Feb./2015!

TLCOhio

From what I have gathered PR which is the lifeline for the islands affected by Irma, at this time is thought to be in line to receive a direct hit by a category 3 hurricane. Some of the relief efforts have even haulted because of Maria as PR prepares for it.

Here is more as to what is hitting nearby to Barbados. It seems that they are getting lots of rain there. Very sad and challenging situation with above details from another CC Board thread. We will all hope for the best, but "two-in-a-row" are too, too many dire happenings.

From the London/UK Daily Mail today, they have this headline: Category 3 Maria takes aim at the Caribbean islands leveled by Irma with these story highlights: The National Hurricane Center in Miami says that Hurricane Maria has strengthened to a Category 3 storm and was 'rapidly' intensifying into a major hurricane. The eye is expected to move through the Leeward Islands later Monday. The storm's center was about 60 miles east of Martinique, with maximum sustained winds of 120 mph. The storm is on a path that would take it near many of the islands wrecked by Hurricane Irma and on toward Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Hurricane warnings were posted for Guadeloupe, Dominica, St. Kitts, Nevis, Montserrat and Martinique. A tropical storm warning was issued for Antigua and Barbuda, Saba, St. Eustatius and St. Lucia.”.

Below are a couple of their graphics to better show where this storm is headed, etc.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4895266/Hurricane-Jose-pound-East-Coast-week.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 187,278 views for this posting.

From the Daily Mail, here are the graphics/charts showing the Hurricane Maria path and direction.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%2012.10.50%20PM_zpsscq8lopb.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%2012.13.19%20PM_zpsetac5mq8.png

This is all so heartbreaking....Thank you for sharing.

I have been looking at all of your reviews from the past few years. Thank you for always sharing your trips with us. Love your photos and descriptions. Your reviews help me plan and dream....

This is all so heartbreaking....Thank you for sharing. I have been looking at all of your reviews from the past few years. Thank you for always sharing your trips with us. Love your photos and descriptions. Your reviews help me plan and dream....

Appreciate your kind follow-up and nice comments. Yes, very sad as to what Hurricane Maria is doing. From the New York Post this morning, they have this headline: Dominica PM shares frightening posts on destruction of Hurricane Maria with these highlights: The Prime Minister of Dominica posted live on Facebook as Hurricane Maria battered the country, including his own residence. 'My roof is gone,' the PM Roosevelt Skerrit posted Monday night. 'I am at the complete mercy of the hurricane. House is flooding.' Skerrit wrote the updates as Maria, a category 5 hurricane, barreled over the island with 160 mile-per-hour sustained winds.”.

If that nation's top official was hit that way, you can image how bad it was on most other residents there. Personally, we loved our visit to Dominica in early 2015. BUT, it is a very poor country that also got badly damaged from a tropical storm two years ago. With a hurricane of this extreme force, it has to be very, very bad in an country not prepared for these winds and this level of damage.

Full story at:

http://nypost.com/2017/09/19/dominica-pm-shares-frightening-posts-on-destruction-of-hurricane-maria/

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 34,883 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

We have a b2b booked in March 2019 from San Juan. Every island we are to stop at has now been hit by these hurricanes. We will not cancel as we still want to see these beautiful islands and also knowing tourism is a large part of their income. My thoughts and prayers to all.

On a lighter note - I have to admit I have become your cc stalker. I am researching Venice for a future cruise and see you have posted pictures....

We have a b2b booked in March 2019 from San Juan. Every island we are to stop at has now been hit by these hurricanes. We will not cancel as we still want to see these beautiful islands and also knowing tourism is a large part of their income. My thoughts and prayers to all. On a lighter note - I have to admit I have become your cc stalker. I am researching Venice for a future cruise and see you have posted pictures....

Appreciate your nice follow-up and the challenges ahead for most of these Eastern Caribbean islands. There is time between now and your March 2019 trip. BUT, the damages are huge for many of these locations and their "resources" to do these repairs and fixes are limited. YES, our thoughts and prayers are for all of the affected people there.

Glad to you are a "stalker", in a good way. Assume you have or will look at this thread linked below. Let me know any questions and/or ways that I can be of help. Love Venice and all of that great history and character that is there. Enjoy it while you can.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 69,858 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Appreciate your nice follow-up and the challenges ahead for most of these Eastern Caribbean islands. There is time between now and your March 2019 trip. BUT, the damages are huge for many of these locations and their "resources" to do these repairs and fixes are limited. YES, our thoughts and prayers are for all of the affected people there.

Glad to you are a "stalker", in a good way. Assume you have or will look at this thread linked below. Let me know any questions and/or ways that I can be of help. Love Venice and all of that great history and character that is there. Enjoy it while you can.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 69,858 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226[/url][url=http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226]

Thank you for the link - as an excellent cc stalker I have already read it but enjoyed the pictures once more!!

• 5 months later...
Thank you for the link - as an excellent cc stalker I have already read it but enjoyed the pictures once more!!

Glad that our Texas friend is such an excellent "stalker"!! To update with our travels, we are now back from our first river boat trip and for sampling Southeast Asia. Much was the Mekong River!! Plus, plus!!

We were well-pleased with these countries, especially Cambodia, plus the ship, staff, food, tours, etc. On my live/blog, connected below, there are dozens of pictures and many details to document these fun adventures and travels. Happy on the live/blog to answer any and all questions, share more info/background, etc.

Now, we shift our focus and attention to mid November, 2018, for our Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania, including our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. AND, for transiting the famed Suez Canal. Lots of history connections between that earlier canal in Egypt and the troubled history when the French were trying to build the Panama Canal. Many options to consider and logistics to research. Keep hearing great things from other travelers about Oceania, the staff, their food, etc. Look forward to comparing Oceania versus other cruise lines we have experienced, who has what plus and minus factors, etc.

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here are just a few visuals samples from what we saw and did with Avalon while sailing along the Mekong River in Vietnam and Cambodia. Many, many more photos and details on the full live/blog.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMY_0654%202_zpsu3xzdbr1.jpg

CMY_1642%202_zpsylne46ki.jpg

CMY_1874_zpskuw4drgj.jpg

We saw many temples, palaces, markets and samples of daily life/work, including at this below spectacular Royal structure in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.:

CMY_1271_zpsif0trcea.jpg

CMY_1025%203_zpsn1ha0rtn.jpg

CMY_0470%201_zpsdpnhanc1.jpg

• 3 months later...

From the London/UK Express this morning, they have this headline: Barbados, the Island in the sun with these highlights: When most of us think of Barbados, we think sun, sea and sand - a fly-and-fop destination for a relaxing beach break. I checked into the Barbados Hilton in the capital city of Bridgetown. Previous trips to the island had taken me to the luxury hotel-lined west coast, where most beach-goers head – and where celebrities such as Simon Cowell and Barbados native Rihanna own properties. Bridgetown, by contrast, is a much more vibrant affair – colourful markets and roadside vendors, school kids milling around in their bright uniforms, a real hubbub of local life and culture.

Many pictures, ideas, options, etc., to consider are detailed in this interesting profile that brings back wonderful memories from our visiting this charming, historic and scenic island.

Full story at:

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/beach/973814/barbados-summer-holiday-island-in-the-sun

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• 2 weeks later...

From the London/UK Daily Mail this morning, they have this headline: Barbados introduces hotel tax that could see tourists forced to pay up to £200 with these highlights: Tour operators and hotels in the Caribbean nation have been given just a week's notice by the country's government of the new charges they must collect. The new taxes on accommodation, which come into force on Sunday, will be collected in resorts and vary in price. From October 1, those flying out of Barbados bound for a destination outside the Caribbean will also have to pay an 'airline travel and tourism development fee' of $70 (£53).

As added background, this story shared: "The taxes come after the new prime minister of Barbados, Mia Mottley, unveiled an austerity budget. In May, she emerged as the victor in elections which returned the Barbados Labour Party (BLP) to power for the first time in a decade. However, the Barbadian economy has struggled since a sharp contraction in 2009 after the global financial crisis. Weak growth has put strains on Barbados' public debt, pressuring foreign exchange reserves and helping to spark repeated downgrades of the island's credit rating."

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-5896069/Barbados-introduces-hotel-tax-just-weeks-notice.html

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 227,406 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 2 months later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Sunday Times this morning, they had this headline: Barbados: the best beaches, hotels and restaurants with these highlights: The original Caribbean holiday island — and the most popular for Brits by a margin — Barbados does that crucial mix of good food, great hotels and gorgeous beaches better than any other. The most famous of those beaches are on the west coast, north of Bridgetown, the bit they call the Platinum Coast — because that’s the kind of credit card you need to stay there. The south coast is less glitzy, and thus cheaper, with some beautiful beaches and a more authentic vibe.

There are many different options and potentials outlined in this profile. Reading this article brings back nice memories from our visiting on this historic and interesting island with so much British tradition and connection.

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six-days/2018-09-09/travel/barbados-j0dp8dd9k

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 59,361 views for these postings.

From this Sunday Times profile, below is one of the maps featured. Plus a scenic view of beautiful Gibbes Beach.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-09%20at%207.36.59%20PM_zpskezzjrwc.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-09%20at%207.38.11%20PM_zpsuaehhzuk.png

• 2 weeks later...

From the London/UK Telegraph today, they have this headline: 25 best destinations for winter sunwith Barbados highlighted as an option to consider.

Here are some of their comments for this location: “So tied to the UK in terms of history and flight connections, a holiday here can seem like a trip the British seaside. Barbados is a stalwart of Caribbean tourism. For many, it revolves around the luxury resorts on the west coast, but venture to the capital Bridgetown for heritage and excellent food.”

Below is one of their visuals featured. Looks great and exciting!! There are slide helpful links for this fun location.

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/galleries/best-places-for-winter-sun/winter8/

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 230,876 views.

Here is one visual used in this newspaper profile to encourage visiting Barbados during colder, winter seasons. Look good?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-17%20at%201.17.48%20PM_zps4vsctetx.png

• 3 weeks later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph yesterday, they had this headline: “Best destinations for January sun for their list of their top-15 locations in the world to go for fun warmth. Glad we were able to enjoy Barbados twice in early 2015. It was super fun and warm!!

Here are their highlights for Barbados and why they rated this island so highly: "So tied to the UK in terms of history and flight connections that, at times, a holiday here can feel like a trip to the British seaside – albeit with temperatures that occupy the upper 20s Celsius throughout the year – Barbados is a stalwart of Caribbean tourism. For many, it revolves around the luxury resorts on the west coast, but venture to the capital Bridgetown for heritage and excellent food."

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/Winter-sun-seeker-where-to-go-in-January/

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 241,401 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 2 months later...

Have been looking at some early February 2019 cruise options that would include a key stop in historic and lovely Barbados.  Yes, in the middle of the winter, we will need some "heat" and sunshine.   BUT, then there are budgets to consider??!!  We just completed our Jerusalem/Holy Lands, Egypt/Valley of the Kings,Petra/Jordan, Oman, Dubai/Abu Dhabi, etc., exploring.  And, in late July 2019, we will be doing a combination of a western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail-Vancouver-Alaska trip.  Not cheap, but all of these great locations will be firsts for us to be visiting.  These scenic western and NW regions have long been on our priority, to-do wish lists.  

To see our most recent trip live/blog for this history and religious “adventure”, check out these postings linked below.  We started in Athens, Greece on Nov. 14, then traveled various locations connected with three of the world's major religions.  Many fun and interesting visuals on this live/blog!!  Below are just a few, quick visual samples.    Check it out and let me know any questions or comments.  Just over 6000 views so far on this live/blog. 

Connect to our latest exploring at: 

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

In Greece, we started with a day at Delphi, where the Oracle was consulted about important decisions from throughout the ancient classical world.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1601439629_CMY_66429.jpg.3692e4fed3607c89b87938846a0a5f1f.jpg

From Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the site of Jesus' crucifixion, burial and resurrection. here is one interior view.  Second is a procession along the historic Via Dolorosa.  Third is my connecting at the Western/Wailing Wall in the most holy site for the Jewish faith.:

265423980_CMY_75627.jpg.8c34f3294f11d2588bcd97f6ecca7237.jpg

1021527693_CMY_76646.jpg.7f175a5b973820312172032a7354d39a.jpg

945894118_CMY_77598.jpg.87d58f7cc5d69d9349b566a83d8ef362.jpg

In Luxor’s Valley of the Kings, we explored the tombs of Egypt rulers from 3300 years ago plus Karnak's night glories, statutes and columns.:

1867033808_DSC_84035.jpg.5c746ed3b9c5bf699adf69ad98b81007.jpg

1298300677_DSC_85294.jpg.d8a2aae0cda10c6e346c6963045707bb.jpg

In front of Petra’s Treasury in Jordan, we found this cute camel as a "co-star".  Feeling the spirit of Indian Jones here!:

1129417683_DSC_90663.thumb.jpg.e58d832b3b53aa495f6ec273bbe1e827.jpg

We finished with the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi and the sandy beaches of Dubai having its unique modern architecture in the background.:

176391805_CMA_03852.jpg.9069e7f6cff92de44835357b479bd31d.jpg

1346433287_CMA_05421.jpg.75fbb3900a452da8549988f935f96352.jpg

• 9 months later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Daily Mail this morning, they had this headline: “50 best islands in the world” with this background sub-head: "Over 5,000 people took part in a poll to compile a ranking of the 50 best islands from around the world". 

Barbados gain top honors with this story highlight: “The Caribbean island of Barbados breezes in at number eight. Big 7 Travel says it has a 'vibrant cultural scene and some of the best beaches and surfing in the Caribbean' ”   Congrats to Barbados!!

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-7507787/The-50-best-islands-world-2019-revealed-Iceland-Washington-State-Scotland.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Just completed Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Lots of visuals and details from our first visits to these scenic areas!!  That live/blog is at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Or, you could simply do a quick Google search with these terms: 

Live Terry/Ohio Muse Alaska

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Daily Mail this past week, they had this headline: “ 'The friendliest nation in the Caribbean!' Why Barbados is so popular” with this sub-head: "Barbados was a British island for almost 350 years and although independent, is still in the Commonwealth".

Here are some of the story highlights: “The island of Barbados has been beloved of the British since Captain Henry Powell first occupied it in 1625. The intrepid adventurer claimed the island on behalf of King James I. It remained British for almost 350 years. Although independent since 1966, it is still a member of the Commonwealth.  The origin of the name Barbados reputedly comes from the Portuguese explorer, Pedro A Campos, who used the phrase 'Los Barbados' meaning 'bearded ones'.  It is thought that he was referring to the roots of the bearded fig-tree indigenous to the island, or the bearded Caribs or, most improbably, to the foam spraying over the reefs, which somewhat resembles a beard.”

This long and in-depth profile has many details, ideas and pictures related to the wide range of options to consider for visiting and enjoying Barbados.  This article brings many different fun memories from our visiting Bardados in 2015.

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-7338135/A-Barbados-guide-restaurant-Gary-Lineker-likes-festival-Rihanna-loves-best-hotels.html

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 225,314 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• 2 months later...

From Travel and Leisure magazine yesterday, they had this headline: “50 Best Places to Travel in 2020” with spotlighted attention as a top option for: Barbados.  T+L rates these top areas as "must-visit vacation destinations, and with something to suit every interest — food, shopping, culture, history, and nature."

Here are some of the story highlights: "This 166-square-mile island on the eastern edge of the Caribbean is largely famous for its powder-white beaches, British-colonial roots, manifold rum shops, and native daughter Rihanna. Recently, the country’s first female prime minister, Mia Mottley, sent out a rallying cry for anyone with Bajan roots to return to the island in 2020 to partake in a year-long calendar of events celebrating Bajan heritage and culture. The 52-week festival, dubbed “We Gatherin’,” will launch in January and travel to all 11 parishes before culminating in a country-wide blowout in December. Visitors can expect lively street parades, traditional eats like flying fish and cou-cou, live soca music, and must-see jamborees such as the carnivalesque Crop Over Festival, Food & Rum Festival, and Oistins Fish Festival. Away from the action, the 40-suite hideaway Cobblers Cove just emerged from a five-year renovation and now sparkles with coral stone floors, local artwork, and original rattan furniture. In addition to surfing and diving, active travelers can take advantage of the hotel’s new coast-to-coast hiking experience or participate in the Walkers Reserve’s new lineup of outdoor pursuits."

Full story at:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/best-places-to-travel-in-2020

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 238,089 views.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Times last month, they had this headline: “Best winter sun holidays” with these highlights for "best getaways".

Bridgetown, Barbados was spotlighted as a top potential location with these story details: “While it’s generally known for its upmarket resorts, bargains also abound on Barbados. A short drive from Bridgetown, its Unesco-listed capital, Hastings has a photogenic curl of white sand with a long boardwalk for sunny strolls. Stay at the Radisson Aquatica, where a pier juts into the bay — perfect for a daiquiri.”

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/best-winter-sun-holidays-destinations-2019-2020-rhc6fqcjk

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 65,302 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

• 1 year later...

From the Washington Post this morning, they had this headline: Barbados to cast off Queen Elizabeth II as Prince Charles watches with these highlights: “In Barbados, it’s out with the queen, in with a president as the Caribbean island nation becomes the first Commonwealth realm in nearly three decades to declare itself a republic.  The move, debated for years, gained momentum amid the Black Lives Matter movement in the United States and growing demands for reparations for slavery on the island. Prime Minister Mia Mottley announced last year that the nation of 300,000 would become a republic by Tuesday, the 55th anniversary of its independence.  That means removing Queen Elizabeth II as head of state, a break with nearly four centuries of history in the former British colony.  Prince Charles, who has long used the island dubbed “Little England” as his polo playground, plans to join the celebrations in Bridgetown.”

Super loved our different days in Barbados with its British charm, traditions and history.  But, the times change!  Hopefully for the better?

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/11/29/barbados-republic-queen/

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 51,989 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• 1 month later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Sunday Times this week, they had this headline: Roll with the rum punches in Barbados" with this sub-headline: "This is the best island in the Caribbean to embrace the history of rum.”

Here are some of their reporting highlights: “For a country only a little bit bigger than Rutland, Barbados has given a lot to the world: the grapefruit; Rihanna; Garfield Sobers, scorer of six sixes in one over; and the finest rum punch recipe known to man.  Even as someone who prides himself on making an excellent rum punch, I had little idea before I visited that Barbados is where rum comes from. I’d have probably guessed Jamaica or Cuba.  The first reference to 'rum' is on a Barbadian land lease from 1650; the world’s oldest documented distillery, Mount Gay, is still in operation, dating from 1703; and of all the places where rum is produced, Barbados is the one with the richest and deepest rum culture.  Barbados is particularly conducive to rum-making. It is, essentially, liquid sunshine. The eastern Caribbean climate, cooled by the Atlantic trade winds, makes for wonderful ageing conditions — one year in the tropics is worth about three in Europe. While the other Caribbean islands are volcanic, Barbados is, uniquely, formed mainly of coral limestone, with many sources of mineral-rich water.  It’s also on a latitude conducive to sugar cane diversity. Rum is an integral part of life here, from the rum shops in each village to the rum-fuelled Crop Over festival that runs each summer. Yet ever since the country won independence from Britain in 1966 the national image has been more beach tourism than agriculture or technology.

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/roll-with-the-rum-punches-in-barbados-m333dxb6g

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 42,900 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

• 1 year later...

From the London/UK Independent in late May, they had this headline: Barbados travel guide: Where to go and what to see on the Caribbean island" with this sub-headline: "Tropical relaxation is a given, but Barbados is more than fly-and-flop holidays – hiking, snorkelling, history and fantastic food (plus rum) are all to be found on this beautiful island.

Here are a few of their reporting highlights:Set 100 miles east of the main curve of the Caribbean islands, this small, easy-going isle is where many of us get our first taste of this balmy region.   A good choice for families, with beach resorts to suit all budgets, it’s only 21 miles long and 14 miles wide but packs in a lot: rich heritage, varied landscapes, and a thriving restaurant scene. Most upmarket hotels sit beside the calm waters of the west coast, while the south is a more congested party zone with busy beaches and nightlife.  Barbados is a year-round holiday destination that is busiest in the peak season from mid-December to Easter, when travellers from Europe and North America flock in for a winter sun holiday.

Full story at:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/central-america-carribean/barbados/barbados-travel-guide-best-things-to-do-b2345529.html

Late Summer 2022, many scenic visuals and details from Canada Maritimes doing Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island, etc., via a Tauck land tour.  Visual Summary:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums