Koningsdam thermal.suite $

lahlah57

• 8 months later...

Hi There

We are booked on the 11 day Koningsdam sailing for our 25th anniversary at the end of November in a spa stateroom. Unlike some of the other lines we have sailed with, we were disappointed it did not include access to the thermal suite. I just called HAL to confirm the additional cost for a couples spa pass for the duration of the cruise and was quoted $500. In previous posts I saw $400 for a 2 week sailing. Does any one have an idea on typical costs for an 11 day duration and whether I should hold off in booking? $500 is a stretch for us and I'm hoping it will be reduced but also don't want to wait and learn it's sold out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi There

We are booked on the 11 day Koningsdam sailing for our 25th anniversary at the end of November in a spa stateroom. Unlike some of the other lines we have sailed with, we were disappointed it did not include access to the thermal suite. I just called HAL to confirm the additional cost for a couples spa pass for the duration of the cruise and was quoted $500. In previous posts I saw $400 for a 2 week sailing. Does any one have an idea on typical costs for an 11 day duration and whether I should hold off in booking? $500 is a stretch for us and I'm hoping it will be reduced but also don't want to wait and learn it's sold out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We booked the couples pass for out 14 night cruise on the Koningsdam in June, and really enjoyed it. On our routing we had 5 sea days, with cool weather, so we used the spa a lot then.

The in advance was $499, and we booked that. But when we got on they had a special for $460 is guests signed up before lifeboat drill, so we went to the spa desk and they arranged to have the $40 difference refunded to us as a shipboard credit.

My personal choice would be a retreat cabana for a warm weather routing, and a spa pass for cool weather :)

• 9 months later...
Yes. A separate Ladies and Men's in the hallway just pass the locker rooms.

So, freestyling, are you saying this is a free sauna or is it for use only if you are visiting the spa for a treatment? I have never accessed the spa without paying for a service, but that would be fabulous. Is there also a pool for spa users that is private and limited access? We are leaving next Sunday for the Kdam and I am really looking forward to the spa there.

We did an east-bound TA (14 day) followed by a 10 day Mediterranean Mosaic as a collector's cruise March-April 2018 on the Koningsdam. They charged $499/couple for the thermal suite pass. The spa stickers they put on our key cards said it was a 14 day pass but we had no issues using them during the the second Mediterranean segment.

There are more heated benches than with the Signature and Vista class ships, but they are also a different design. I thought the new design was not as comfortable as the aqua colored tile benches on the other ships. The new ones seemed to have a bit less lumbar support - they were still nice and I managed to fall asleep on them more than once!

In the area with the benches, there is a large steam room that could hold 10 or so people and a small one that could up to 4 (if they were very good friends). There is also a dry sauna in this area. There are multiple showers, including the horizontal one which I did not try, and two ceiling height buckets of cold water with pull chains to douse yourself. Tried them once and that was enough for me.

The hydrotherapy pool is circular and fairly large. The underwater benches go most of the way around the pool which means lots of folks can find seats. The down side for me is that the side jets have been eliminated. No more massaging my tennis-worn knees! The center of the pool has powerful underwater jets on the floor. The two overhead sprays are very powerful and felt great on my tennis-worn shoulder. There is a very large shower area and lots of lounge seating in the pool area.

All of this was only accessible through one key-carded entry door. There are other doors, but these are kept closed except for the first day or two when they are giving tours of the spa. I never saw anyone sneaking in and the facility never seemed over crowded. You occasionally had to wait for a heated bench. There were some regulars that would use them for long periods of time or leave their stuff on them while they were off doing who knows what. It was a minor irritation.

People, including me, seemed to get into a routine and tended to show up at the same times everyday.

The ladies and gents changing rooms and saunas are outside of the thermal suite and are available to all passengers. I did not try these saunas so I cannot comment on them. The men's changing room was very nice but only had two showers. This was usually not a big deal, but did mean people sometimes had to wait a bit to get access.

I certainly feel I got my money's worth and will likely get thermal suite passes on future cruises. You can buy them in advance, but you will probably get a better price if you head to the spa shortly after boarding. They only sell a limited number of passes. The availability of the $40 day passes depends somewhat on how many full cruise passes are sold.