Veranda Location Help High Deck Low Deck Pros and Cons

Pompein

Cruised before, 1st time Alaska. Going 2018 HAL Nieuw Amsterdam inside passage, trying to decide location of balcony. Have always wanted aft balcony and some are available either Lower Promenade (4) or Rotterdam (7).

Is it better to be down lower to see or higher or does it matter?

DH doesn't like crowds, so I want to be able to zip up top to look around and is that easier forward on the ship closer to elevators?

Thanks to all for advice and tips!

Not sure if you will appreciate the glacier on the aft side unless it is a wrap around. It is a personal choice though. But we prefer to stay up on the open deck for a 360degree view with our binoculars and camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If booking an aft balcony stateroom, I don't think that the deck matters too much. I would not want one directly below the aft Lido Deck, though, due to potential noise from above issues.

A forward stateroom may have an advantage for easy access to exterior viewing opportunities. The open deck at the forward end of Deck 5 on Nieuw Amsterdam is a superior area for sightseeing. But, will it be open to guests or not seems to be a question based upon my experience. Some Masters of the ship allow that deck to be accessible to guests; some do not. Again, which deck a veranda stateroom may be located is a matter of choice. Remember: "the higher one goes, the more you may sway".